7 foot Texas kid commits to Wisconsin

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

7 foot Texas kid commits to Wisconsin

Postby Wet_Pavement » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:06 am

The second coming? Better than sliced bread? A 7 foot kid from Texas commits to Wisconsin: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruitin ... erId=42787

Can you say "Final Four?" Can you say "National Championship?"

Well okay it is premature. But I hope this kid produces and Wisconsin gets the respect it deserves in basketball.

MPMay
Forum Addict

Re: 7 foot Texas kid commits to Wisconsin

Postby MPMay » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:24 pm

Wet_Pavement wrote:The second coming?

Of Eino Hendrickson? Or the Hughes twins?

I don't know much about basketball, but I do know that if you have a bunch of tall, athletic players, you tend to do well. Bo Ryan is going to have a bunch of big kids over the next few years.

pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:27 pm

None of the kids in that recruiting class are from Wisconsin?

MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby MPMay » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:46 am

Until the recruits sign the letter, the UW can't confirm anything, but according to this site:

http://wisconsin.scout.com/a.z?s=193&p= ... bb&yr=2008

the recruits for 2008 are:

Ian Markolf, 7-1, 255, from San Antonio TX
Robert Wilson, 6-4, 180, from Garfield Hts., OH
Jared Berggren, 6-10, 240, from Princeton, MN
Jordan Taylor, 6-1, 175, from St. Louis Pk., MN

I suspect we will see fewer recruits from Minnesota now that Tubby is in town.

Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wet_Pavement » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:10 am

pulseCzar wrote:None of the kids in that recruiting class are from Wisconsin?

I think you're right. Apparently, all 4 of this coming year's fall recruits will be from out of state: http://wkbt.com/Global/story.asp?S=6811991

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:53 am

MPMay wrote:I suspect we will see fewer recruits from Minnesota now that Tubby is in town.

I'm not sure about that. Bo's staff has built some relationships with coaches in that area that will continue to pay off. Not only that, but whereas the U of M will always be the kind of place that dedicates too many resources to grabbing the occasional blue chipper produced by that state, Bo is more interested in going after the kids flying just under the radar, which includes both of the MN kids in that class.

Also, during the time that both Kammron Taylor was swiped from the U, the Gophers were successful in landing Kris Humphries. Humphries was clearly the better player (now in the NBA), but of the two, Taylor was clearly much better for his program.

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:22 pm

jjoyce wrote:Also, during the time that both Kammron Taylor was swiped from the U, the Gophers were successful in landing Kris Humphries. Humphries was clearly the better player (now in the NBA), but of the two, Taylor was clearly much better for his program.

The Humphries deal was more like a a hostage negotiation than a recruitment. Monson essentially signed over the team plan to Humphries in exchange for Humphries keeping the Gophers at the contentiously mediocre level for one year. That was a tough year for Gophers fans, as the team was winning more, but watching the style of play (give the ball to Humphries, stupid!) made ya feel a little dirty. I am pretty sure that Ryan wouldn't want an individual like Humphries to sabotage his program, but Monson was exceedingly desperate.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:38 pm

acereraser wrote:I am pretty sure that Ryan wouldn't want an individual like Humphries to sabotage his program, but Monson was exceedingly desperate.

I always viewed Monson's recruitment of Humphries, that stiff from Duluth (Rickert?) and even Pryzbilla as being issues forced by boosters. I see some of that in the Clay ordeal with Wisconsin football.

Anyway, none of those guys were good fits for Monson's system and, in turn, he was never able to play his kind of basketball. Butch was similarly hyped in high school, but it seems pretty clear that he didn't show up with demands.

The best part about Humphries was that he and his dad attempted to get a commitment of playing time from Coach K at Duke, who essentially told him that didn't happen there. Off to Minnesota!

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”