The Big Ten Network

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:05 pm
Location: All Up In Your General Area
Contact:

Postby jammybastard » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:47 pm

A friend of mine in D.C., Badger Alum, just read this and his opinion...

"That John Wiley signed this POS is the final indignity; it's obvious that academics takes a distant back seat to athletics at the UW now."

He does make a very, very good point.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby jjoyce » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:13 pm


fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7981
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison
Contact:

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:30 pm

How's this for irony. I could watch the game on Dish Network tomorrow at my girlfriends house but I have to be home 1-5 waiting for the Charter guy to come.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7533
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:41 am
Location: Whoville

Postby Paco » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:52 am

Tell them you're watching the game somewhere else and will be over when it's over.

The provost from UW was on the local PBS 7pm show last night. He said UW is getting 7 million for the athletic dept, and the education part of UW is getting 1 million. I would have thought it was more than that.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:05 pm
Location: All Up In Your General Area
Contact:

Postby jammybastard » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:51 am

Paco wrote:Tell them you're watching the game somewhere else and will be over when it's over.

The provost from UW was on the local PBS 7pm show last night. He said UW is getting 7 million for the athletic dept, and the education part of UW is getting 1 million. I would have thought it was more than that.


Most people do, and they are naive.
I've heard rumors that large amounts are going directly into specific people's paychecks and not even being distributed to the programs.
It's not surprising, and I doubt even the most casual Badger fan would care if they found out.

On the other side money like this helps the non-revenue programs stay afloat. The Ath. Dept. isn't a charity, they don't like losing money on sports like Soccer, Wmns Hockey, etc...and this eases the blow a bit. Plus it helps recruiting, their public image, and generate more income from alumni donations, etc...

I guess the question becomes, how devoted are you to supporting the Athletic Dept. vs. the rest of the University. At some point, maybe now, you will realize that the two entities are truly seperate because they have divergent agendas and you cannot afford to support both.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8533
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:07 am

jammybastard wrote:Most people do, and they are naive.
I've heard rumors that large amounts are going directly into specific people's paychecks and not even being distributed to the programs.
It's not surprising, and I doubt even the most casual Badger fan would care if they found out.

On the other side money like this helps the non-revenue programs stay afloat. The Ath. Dept. isn't a charity, they don't like losing money on sports like Soccer, Wmns Hockey, etc...and this eases the blow a bit. Plus it helps recruiting, their public image, and generate more income from alumni donations, etc...

I guess the question becomes, how devoted are you to supporting the Athletic Dept. vs. the rest of the University. At some point, maybe now, you will realize that the two entities are truly seperate because they have divergent agendas and you cannot afford to support both.

You've heard rumors, huh? Well, I better alter my opinion based on the rumors you've heard.

You just can't hide the fact that enrollment goes up when the football team does well in a high profile bowl game.

What, didn't make the team in high school? Got beat up by an offensive lineman? You're not thinking straight.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:05 pm
Location: All Up In Your General Area
Contact:

Postby jammybastard » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:26 am

TheBookPolice wrote:You've heard rumors, huh? Well, I better alter my opinion based on the rumors you've heard.


Ummm...ok. Not sure why you are being so snide. I didn't ask you or anyone else to do anything about it. Just put it out into the ether.

TheBookPolice wrote:You just can't hide the fact that enrollment goes up when the football team does well in a high profile bowl game.


Huh? I'm sure *applications* go up. Not sure about enrollment. There is limit you know?

But more the point...so what?
So enrollment goes up...and those eventual alumni feed more money into? That's right...the Athletic Department not Chemistry, L&S, etc...
There are plenty of people, academics and other learned types who have documented the fact that the "more enrollment" justification for spending on Athletic Departments is a fallacy because the increased enrollment will never support the increasing budgets of either the UW or the Ath. Dept.
Athletics will always be driven to spend more than they take in because they are competing against other universities. It's an unwinnable arms race, and the real casualty is academics.

Plus, do these applications/enrollment make up for the fact that the Athletic Director is the highest paid state employee?
That's quite a precedent to set, and IMHO shows how skewed the UW and the State's priorities are.

TheBookPolice wrote:What, didn't make the team in high school? Got beat up by an offensive lineman? You're not thinking straight.


Petty insults are usually the sign of a coward.
Instead of spending your time take pot shots at people like me why don't you avail us of your astute analysis?
:wink:

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Postby jjoyce » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:04 am

jammybastard wrote:The Ath. Dept. isn't a charity, they don't like losing money on sports like Soccer, Wmns Hockey, etc...and this eases the blow a bit.


Well, no. But neither is the political science dept. or the music dept. But I think you're missing out on the fact that funding sports that don't bring in revenue isn't just part of the mission of that dept., it's the law. Title IX and all that.

I can tell you that Alvarez is pretty proud of that new rowing facility, which won't exactly attract rabid rowing fans to town.

I can also tell you that sports like cross country, womens soccer, etc. do a lot more for the actual mission of the University than football, in that they are devoted to the entire student athlete experience and stars in those sports often go on to become highly valued members of the community. If that happens to a football player, more and more it's treated like a happy accident.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8533
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:27 am

jammybastard wrote:Ummm...ok. Not sure why you are being so snide. I didn't ask you or anyone else to do anything about it. Just put it out into the ether.


Exactly. Which is bullshit. You've got no proof to offer, so you just put out there the borderline-defamatory theory that UW officials are embezzling funds from their own coffers. Cute. That sounds cowardly to me.

jammybastard wrote:Huh? I'm sure *applications* go up. Not sure about enrollment. There is limit you know?

But more the point...so what?
So enrollment goes up...and those eventual alumni feed more money into? That's right...the Athletic Department not Chemistry, L&S, etc...

I seem to have read somewhere that there's a big Institutes for Discovery (funded in part by a $50M gift from an alumnus) planned for construction, a handful of new dorms, and there's some Microbial Sciences Building that's pretty state of the art (in some areas, anyway). I don't think the football team will be using those facilities for practice.

Point is (if you were unable to discern it), the other departments aren't hurting. They're getting big money donations from their own grads. Athletics fuel scholastic pride in EVERY student, not just the ones that graduated from CALS or Business or Bacteriology or whatever. If you don't think that they're going to get more donations (not necessarily more money, mind you) from alumni foundations, you're the one being naive.

EastSideTom
Forum Addict
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:17 pm

Postby EastSideTom » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:29 am

Lost in all the noise about the Big 10 Network is the fact that it's a Fox Sports Network hiding behind the Big 10's name. Brilliant marketing move by Rupert Murdoch to get the universities and the fans all worked up demanding that their games be available. If and when the Big 10 and Fox win, it will just make the alien billionaire richer and increase the media consolidation he so dearly loves. How many cable channels does Fox own now....how many more are you demanding?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8533
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:54 am

EastSideTom wrote:Lost in all the noise about the Big 10 Network is the fact that it's a Fox Sports Network hiding behind the Big 10's name. Brilliant marketing move by Rupert Murdoch to get the universities and the fans all worked up demanding that their games be available. If and when the Big 10 and Fox win, it will just make the alien billionaire richer and increase the media consolidation he so dearly loves. How many cable channels does Fox own now....how many more are you demanding?

Minority stakeholders. And it's no secret.

Let's cut off our noses to spite our faces, please. I'm no fan of FNC and Murdoch, but what would you prefer?

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4062
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:56 am
Location: Around here somewhere
Contact:

Postby Michael Patrick » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:10 pm

Is it just me, or is the picture quality on today's game really crappy?

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:05 pm
Location: All Up In Your General Area
Contact:

Postby jammybastard » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:40 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:Is it just me, or is the picture quality on today's game really crappy?


Looks fine on the HD side, haven't checked the SD yet.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:05 pm
Location: All Up In Your General Area
Contact:

Postby jammybastard » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:53 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
jammybastard wrote:Ummm...ok. Not sure why you are being so snide. I didn't ask you or anyone else to do anything about it. Just put it out into the ether.


Exactly. Which is bullshit. You've got no proof to offer, so you just put out there the borderline-defamatory theory that UW officials are embezzling funds from their own coffers. Cute. That sounds cowardly to me.


Oh, now I see.
I was not implying embezzlement at all.
In fact I made no claim to whether it was legal or illegal.
From what I've heard it's all above board, well as much as it can be hidden in the language of contracts and whatnot so *technically* it's not embezzlement.
Payoff? Maybe.


As for the money the Athletic Dept brings in...
you have yet to rebut the issues I raised and the arms race that college athletics has become.
If you like your tax dollars funding a sports corporation ina public university then I think you've got a screw loose.
Oh yeah, how many years has the athletic dept. run in the black?
Answer: none.

As for the University doing well...hmmm, I know plenty of people who are employed by the University who can't get a merit raise, let alone a cost of living increase in their salary.
The past few years the UW has been hemorrhaging staff
because of domestic partner issues, pay cuts, LTE abuse, etc...so you can claim we are building all you want but a university isn't judged by it's real estate, it's judgement by the quality of it's staff and the education it provides to the students enrolled.

Plus, if the University is doing so well with all the money the Athletic Dept brings in then why did Whiley and Co. fight like hell when the Republicans tried to cut their budget?
If things are so rosy why don't they lower tuition and fees?

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:05 pm
Location: All Up In Your General Area
Contact:

Postby jammybastard » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:02 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Minority stakeholders. And it's no secret.


No. That's not true.
BTN is staffed by FSN employees, their studio facilities in Minneapolis and Chicago are FSN owned, their payroll is done through FSN-Chicago (crew) and FSN-LA (prodcuers/directors), etc...
so there would be no BTN w/o the infrastructure of Fox to support it.
BTN doesn't own any hardware, they rent or lease everything from FSN or other vendors.
The middle management is a mix of former FSN and ESPN staff. Their mobile facilities are split between Trio (Chicago) the Mobile Television Group (Denver/Minneapolis) that built 3 trucks for BTN events.


Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest