Start Making Those October Travel Plans...

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7067
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Start Making Those October Travel Plans...

Postby Marvell » Wed May 02, 2007 7:11 pm

...cause guess who has got the best record in pro baseball?

That's right - the Milwaukee Brewers.

Important Consumer Safety Announcement: no revealing photos of Borat were used in this post.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3833
Joined: Tue May 22, 2001 11:07 am
Contact:

Postby nevermore » Wed May 02, 2007 7:22 pm

Remember: Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2364
Joined: Mon May 07, 2001 1:09 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Postby buckyor » Thu May 03, 2007 2:47 pm

nevermore wrote:Remember: Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.


Heh. Yes. But I don't know if anyone is too worried about that old Nova that is rapidly receding behind us.

Image

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2603
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Near East

Postby boston_jeff » Thu May 03, 2007 3:47 pm

If the Brewers met the Red Sox in the series, all my wishes would come true. I might actually have a chance at getting a ticket...

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 23927
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 03, 2007 4:53 pm

I grew up in the Milwaukee area; my dad took me to my first Braves game in '53, when I was only five-years-old. They won, then lost the series to the hated Yankees when I was in second and third grades. I wished I was at County Stadium to watch the games. Henry Aaron was my hero. Then they became the Atlanta Carpetbagger in '66, right at the time I was graduating from high school. I thought I'd never get to see a series game.

When the Brewers came to town, I again thought I'd never see the series live. But Harvey's Wallbangers did it in '82. I was living in Madison and not sure if I could scarf up tickets. But the Irish luck in me did its magic. My dad and mom got tickets for the playoffs and series. Then he retired a couple months earlier than planned (unused sick time, I think) and took mom to Hawaii. And best of all, he gave the tickets away to the kids.

Coming from a large Catholic family, I only one got to see one playoff and one series game. Seats lower grand, first base side, but way out by the outfield. Got to heckle Reggie Jackson. The Brew Crew won both games I attended. Saw Ogilvie's spectacular catch. If it wasn't for the Card's artificial surface, we would have won game 7.

So to make a long story short, I'm really rooting for the Brewers this year, hope I get tickets and they better win it all.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7067
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Postby Marvell » Mon May 07, 2007 6:44 pm

Still the best record in baseball - and this team isn't even hitting on all cylinders yet.

Once Hall settles in behind the plate and Sheets on the mound, this is going to be the team to beat in 2007.

While this team's offense obviously isn't going to be overshadowing Harvey's Wallbangers, the flipside is that the pitching staff is much, much deeper than in '82. Believe it or not, the Brewers might have the best order from top to bottom in all of baseball. And the bullpen, while not quite at the same level of consistency, is still better than average even without Cordero.

The overall team depth is my only concern - an injury to a key infielder would really wreck havoc with the offense, and the middle relief still has some question marks associated with it. But I don't see any of the other teams in the NL Central making up the ground that the Brewers have opened up on them - not if the Brewers continue to play the way they've been playing.

So while it is admittedly early for Ned Yost to be working on his trophy hutch, I am confidently predicting that the 2007 Milwaukee Brewers will be a playoff team.

If I am wrong, may I be deposited down a slide into a giant mug of beer while wearing lederhosen.

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3833
Joined: Tue May 22, 2001 11:07 am
Contact:

Postby nevermore » Mon May 07, 2007 10:14 pm

Wow, calling the season already? Take it from an expert on that sort of thing: You're treading into dangerous territory.

5.5 games is not an insurmountable lead and don't look now, but there's a team with its first 5-0 start to May since 1937. Look it up. This season is going to be real fun since there are only two teams in the NL Central that are worth a damn (especially with the Astros losing the Roger Clemons Sweepstakes and the Cardinals having an unmitigated disaster of a season so far).

Bottom line, the Cubs and Brewers may make September very special for us. And if I'm right, may I go down a slide into a beer wearing lederhosen.

And finally, there's nothing sweeter than having to play the Washington Generals...errr...Nationals. Study them well during the next couple days. They may be the worst team in years.

Paco
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7533
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 11:41 am
Location: Whoville

Postby Paco » Tue May 08, 2007 3:48 am

A few of the guys we're relying on have yet to play a full season -Weeks, Fielder, Hardy for starters. They have to stay healthy...I wouldn't bet Sheets can do that, but I hope so. Turnbow has to put in 2 halves of a season-not just one like last year.

It's a long season, but they look good right now. Don't rule out StLou, Houston or Cincy either along with Chi. Going to be fun though.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7067
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 11:28 pm
Location: At one with time and space

Postby Marvell » Wed May 09, 2007 5:17 pm

nevermore wrote:5.5 games is not an insurmountable lead [...] This season is going to be real fun since there are only two teams in the NL Central that are worth a damn [...].

Bottom line, the Cubs and Brewers may make September very special for us.


Maybe. But I doubt it.

Milwaukee's pitching is just too deep for the team to completely go off the rails. Even if Ben Sheets' arm falls off and J. J. Hardy eats some bad fugu it may slow the Brewers down, but I think momentum carries them across the finish line with ease.

Yost gets Manager of the Year and Cordero wins the Cy Young.

And when G. W. Bush goes to throw out the first pitch at the World Series, one of the bat boys gives him such a titty-twister that Bush cries like a baby on national television.

Cue The Temptations:

"It was just my imagination
(once again)..."

Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:17 pm
Location: Madison

Postby Sheppy » Fri May 11, 2007 6:51 pm

whatever the brewers suck

Oprah
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1087
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:20 pm
Location: On the Down Low

Postby Oprah » Tue May 15, 2007 8:28 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Coming from a large Catholic family, I only one got to see one playoff and one series game.

Dear Henry,

At least the Cubs don't discriminate based on religious beliefs when it comes to playoff ticket sales.

What tipped the Brewers off that you were a Catholic?

This explains prostate exam night at Miller Park. Catholic men who pray to the patron saint of prostates are exempt from enlargement, meaning that the men who tested as having normal prostates will be labeled as Catholics and excluded from purchasing playoff tickets.

Sincerely,

Benjamin Dover

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3833
Joined: Tue May 22, 2001 11:07 am
Contact:

Postby nevermore » Tue May 15, 2007 8:49 am

nevermore wrote:5.5 games is not an insurmountable lead and don't look now, but there's a team with its first 5-0 start to May since 1937.

And, of course, they go 2-5 in the games since I wrote that - preventing them from gaining any ground on the Brewers during their recent "skid" (or as close to a skid as the Brewers have got so far).

The Brewers are unstoppable, I tells ya.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 23927
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 15, 2007 8:58 am

Oprah wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Coming from a large Catholic family, I only one got to see one playoff and one series game.

Dear Henry,

At least the Cubs don't discriminate based on religious beliefs when it comes to playoff ticket sales.

What tipped the Brewers off that you were a Catholic?

This explains prostate exam night at Miller Park. Catholic men who pray to the patron saint of prostates are exempt from enlargement, meaning that the men who tested as having normal prostates will be labeled as Catholics and excluded from purchasing playoff tickets.

Sincerely,

Benjamin Dover

Dear Ben:

That's one way to look at it (if you can look up your own asshole). I guess you missed my preceding paragraph.
Henry Vilas wrote:My dad and mom got tickets for the playoffs and series. Then he retired a couple months earlier than planned (unused sick time, I think) and took mom to Hawaii. And best of all, he gave the tickets away to the kids.


<Fuck the Cubs>

Oprah
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1087
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:20 pm
Location: On the Down Low

Postby Oprah » Tue May 15, 2007 11:22 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Oprah wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Coming from a large Catholic family, I only one got to see one playoff and one series game.

Dear Henry,

At least the Cubs don't discriminate based on religious beliefs when it comes to playoff ticket sales.

What tipped the Brewers off that you were a Catholic?

This explains prostate exam night at Miller Park. Catholic men who pray to the patron saint of prostates are exempt from enlargement, meaning that the men who tested as having normal prostates will be labeled as Catholics and excluded from purchasing playoff tickets.

Sincerely,

Benjamin Dover

Dear Ben:

That's one way to look at it (if you can look up your own asshole). I guess you missed my preceding paragraph.
Henry Vilas wrote:My dad and mom got tickets for the playoffs and series. Then he retired a couple months earlier than planned (unused sick time, I think) and took mom to Hawaii. And best of all, he gave the tickets away to the kids.


<Fuck the Cubs>

So you're saying that your dad was a good Catholic man and rather than scalp the tickets (Episcopalians are all about the money), he, a lifelong Brewers fan, chose to forsake attending Brewer's playoff games, which are quite the rarity, and take your mother on a well-deserved second honeymoon, which she deserved, after all, she took care of, day in and day out, a large family and a Catholic one at that, which meant running around to CCD and mass on Sundays and holy days and preparing fish sticks on Fridays. I hope they ventured from Honolulu and made it to Kauai, the Kalalau trail is spectacular.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 23927
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue May 15, 2007 11:58 am

Oprah wrote:So you're saying...

Something like that.

<And I still say: Fuck the Cubs.>


Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest