Dumb-ass Favre

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Dumb-ass Favre

Postby Marvell » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:09 pm

Okay, I've supported the guy as much as anyone. But will he ever outgrow his own ego?

Check off to the fullback, asshole. Give him the chance to make a play. or to at least get a little experience. Get at least a FG or something to build on, get some kind of positive spin going, rather than end the game throwing tantrumy interceptions.

If I was McCarthy, I'd seriously consider benching him for the start of the New Orleans game. Tell him Irv would have done the same thing.

Someone needs to smack that boy upside his gumbo-eatin' head.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:11 am

Just too easy to go picking on Farve now Mr. Armchair QB.
You could just as easily argue that the Pack ran too often and never allowed Farve to get into a rythm...don't go and be doing anything rash over one game-benching Farve would only either seal his retirement from football or departure form Green Bay.

Signing Koren Robinson is a good move. Besides how much more trouble can he get into in sleepy little Green Bay? Oh wait he has a Drinking problem-maybe Green Bay may not be the best environment for him after all...

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:08 am

GenieU wrote:Farve

This misspelling indicates that a) you spend too much time at madison.com and 2) that your opinion on the Pack is not to be trusted.

Shpiker
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shpiker » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:14 am

I also think they didn't allow Favre to show what he could do early on. He was like 6 for 6 early on with some good throws to Driver, but then they chose to keep running it and not making much for gains. I thought they should've opened it up earlier through the air as opposed to trying to stay with their running game plan. Everyone knows how Favre gets when it seems like desperation. And that pick near the end of the game was a throw he's done umpteen number of times before successfully and whenever he did it before all you hear is how "that's a pass only Favre could do"...

So lighten up on the Favre bashing just yet. I think the coaches are a bit more to blame for this one than anything else. Oh, and the Noah Herron turnover during his kick return didn't help much either. I mean, why attempt a quarterback keeper when going for the 4th down when you know the o-line couldn't move a plate of mashed potatoes... if you're going for it on 4th, either let a RB/FB attempt it or do a quick out pass.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:26 am

I've been as hard on Favre as anybody for his performance last season, but you can hardly lay Sunday's dismal showing off on him. He looked ok for 3 quarters (though Christ, shouldn't he have his fucking footwork down by now?), and only started stinking up the joint in the 4th, when they were already hopelessly behind.

Want some real culprits? Try the offensive line. And no, I don't mean the rookies, from whom I didn't expect so much. I mean the so-called seasoned vets like Tauscher and Clifton. Tauscher with a stupid holding call on one play, and Clifton with the unforgivable sin of forgetting to block Alex Brown on one play (and then looking at one of the rookie guards as if it were his fault. Hey, Chad, since when did the Packers O-line implement stunts on pass blocking assignments?). The line also couldn't get much of a push on a number of 3d and 4th and shorts. Pretty weak effort on their part.

And the defense which couldn't get the Bears off the field. Hell, they made Rex Grossman look like Joe Montana. The Bears' secret? Find Brady Poppinga. I understand he's supposed to be a high-motor guy, but he's never where he's supposed to be. Just like last year, he always takes himself out of the play. Not only did they throw at him all day, they also ran at him constantly. He was nowhere to be found. Marquand Manuel and Charles Woodson also struggled, and the D-line failed to get any push whatsoever on Grossman, who could've smoked a ham back there without being touched. It's not like the Bears have the best offensive line in the game.

On the bright side, Ahman Green looked pretty good. And Donald Driver still has stones of steel. Nick Barnett kept making the plays that Poppinga didn't. Other than that- eheeh.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:08 am

jjoyce wrote:
GenieU wrote:Farve

This misspelling indicates that a) you spend too much time at madison.com and 2) that your opinion on the Pack is not to be trusted.

Gimme a break Joycee. Its only one of at least three mispelled words in the post. I don't have time for Madison.com.

Are your opinions on the Pack any more valid than mine, Vikings fan?

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:35 am

GenieU wrote:don't go and be doing anything rash over one game.

You must have missed last season.

GenieU wrote:benching Farve would only either seal his retirement from football or departure form Green Bay.

And that would hurt the Packers how?

If the way Favre played last year and this past sunday is any indication of what the rest of this year is going to look like, he should have retired.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:47 am

eriedasch wrote:
GenieU wrote:don't go and be doing anything rash over one game.

You must have missed last season.

GenieU wrote:benching Farve would only either seal his retirement from football or departure form Green Bay.

And that would hurt the Packers how?

If the way Favre played last year and this past sunday is any indication of what the rest of this year is going to look like, he should have retired.

Your probably Right. I do tend to think that Favre should have retired by now but his name alone is a franchise unto itself-so here we are...

As we watched on Sunday my kids started dogging Farve no end..."He really sucks" I think they said, among other things...He's definitly not the quarterback he used to be. Maybe its impossible that He can redeem himself in Green Bay. And where was the return to the west coast offense anyway?

I have a hard time imagining that Rodgers is the answer either.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:48 am

Favruh was good. Ahman and Driver were great. The O-line stunk to high heaven, especially Clifton.

Poppinga has the physical build to be awesome, but clearly isn't. The sooner they get Abdul Hodge in there the better.

Aaron Kampman played really well.
KGB should be traded or flat-out waived. He gets pushed around easily and his play awareness is terrible.

McCarthy got outcoached in every facet of the game and did NOT have the Packers ready for their home opener. The Beav's playcalling was flavorless, except for the fake punt.

Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:54 am

jjoyce wrote: I can't think of anything less interesting than asking the fan of a particular band why he or she likes that band or who they think the best guitar player in town is or something.

I can think of something less interesting.

Watching football can be fun. Like watching a band can be fun. But an "indepth" discussion about either? Uggh.

If only there was a way I could avoid reading uninteresting topics. The person who invents that software will make a mint.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:37 am

Peanutbutter wrote:
jjoyce wrote: I can't think of anything less interesting than asking the fan of a particular band why he or she likes that band or who they think the best guitar player in town is or something.

Watching football can be fun. Like watching a band can be fun. But an "indepth" discussion about either? Uggh.

If only there was a way I could avoid reading uninteresting topics. The person who invents that software will make a mint.

Oh blow it out your ass, butterboy. Your posts always have the cheerful insight of a dead walrus. Thanks for shining upon us once again, tusks and all ...

Man, it's football season! This is exactly the time for knee-jerk reactions, overanalysis, and name-dropping geekery. Sorry you don't get it - it's a man thing.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:01 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:

First-whats up with a quote from another thread? That doesn't relate to anything here. Music and Football is comparing apples and oranges.

Second-Even someone as technologically challenged as myself finds it easy to locate the close button, the back button, or the Daily Page text in order to exit topics that fail to catch my interest...

So you don't like to talk football? I'm so sorry-poor you.

Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:00 pm

The tide has turned. Go Bears!

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:27 pm

GenieU wrote:As we watched on Sunday my kids started dogging Farve no end..."He really sucks" I think they said, among other things...He's definitly not the quarterback he used to be.

Well that's the biggest frustration of all! Those of us who have watched him his entire career know that he does NOT SUCK! While some veteran QB's rely on experience when they no longer have the power in their arm, Brett can still throw a ball just as well as a rookie. Just the problem is he continues to make rookie mistakes and/or he has not had a coach that's been able to reign him in like Holmgren could.

I personally hate to see him go out like this.

AJ Love
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AJ Love » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:29 am

eriedasch wrote:I personally hate to see him go out like this.

He's lost a step or three in terms of running ability but he's still the same old Favre, just with less talent around. On Sunday he had 3 TD's and was over 300 yards. On the one INT in the end-zone he got hit as he threw. He's still making throws that few QB's in NFL history could make. Same old Favre. He hasn't played consistently well in the playoffs since '97 ('98 is, I suppose, arguable). Same old Favre.

And by the way Favre is one of my favorite players of all-time. He's always been a bit over-rated by most Packers fans and TV commentators. He's definitely not the greatest QB of all-time or even in the top 5 QB's of all-time (way too inconsistent in the playoffs for any nonsense talk like that) but he's certainly one of the most physically talented QB's of all-time, and easily in the top 10 despite his mental mistakes...

He pushed it way too much last year but he was playing with mostly scrubs and Sherman and Rossley had him throwing 40 passes a game and throwing vertically more which isn't his game. I like the way McCarthy is calling games, much more about the West Coast offense and short slant passes. The Packers just need more talent.

I'm just enjoying the games for what they are, enjoying watching Hawk getting off blocks and blasting people, hoping that Favre breaks Marino's record (22 TD's to go) and watching the youngest team in the NFL develop their players.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”