Porter, Lelie, or leave things be?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

What should the Packers do about depth at WR?

Get Jerry Porter
25%
Get Ashley Lelie
25%
Get someone else
No votes
Stand pat
50%

Total votes: 4

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Porter, Lelie, or leave things be?

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:50 am

The Packers are desperately in need of some depth at wide receiver. If the young O-line can give him any protection, Favre is going to need a good deep threat as well as a route-runner like Driver.

Do they roll the dice and pick up either Jerry Porter or Ashley Lelie? Or do they hope that Jennings is the answer to all their problems, and take a pass on adding any new problems?

tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:27 am

IMO they should sit tight. They just got rid of a disgruntled receiver in Javon Walker - why add another one in Lelie or Porter?

Plus, the WCO variation that the Packers will run doesn't really need homerun hitters like Lelie. They need guys who can run crisp routes and catch 5- or 10-yard passes.

Jennings is going to surprise people this year. He's going to be better than a lot of people give him credit for. I think the team in general is going to be a lot better than expected - they should finish right around .500, with an outside chance at making the playoffs if they get lucky.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Porter, Lelie, or leave things be?

Postby Marvell » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:29 am

TheBookPolice wrote:The Packers are desperately in need of some depth at wide receiver. If the young O-line can give him any protection, Favre is going to need a good deep threat as well as a route-runner like Driver.

Do they roll the dice and pick up either Jerry Porter or Ashley Lelie? Or do they hope that Jennings is the answer to all their problems, and take a pass on adding any new problems?

They'd better do something. Robert Ferguson is clearly not the answer.

They might do better just watching the league's discard pile. They should do this with PK, P and KR too - if Thompson is any kind of GM, he's got one eye looking at all the other camps and has already red-penciled any situation where a team has multiple talented special teamers fighting for a spot - often times the guy who gets cut after a tough camp battle goes on to have a career season.

I'm actually pretty optimistic about the defense. Both offence and especially special teams, on the other hand, give me a queasy feeling in my gut.

I'm still guessing they fall in the 6-10 to 8-8 range with their 2006 record - on the mediocre side of respectability.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Porter, Lelie, or leave things be?

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:10 pm

tibor wrote:Jennings is going to surprise people this year. He's going to be better than a lot of people give him credit for.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about him, so I'd say that credit is high for a non-first round rookie. And I agree that route runners are important. But they've got one (Driver), maybe two (Jennings). There's got to be someone believable to draw the safeties back, or our 5-10 yard routes are going to get squashed. I don't think Gardner or Ferguson are enough bait. The corners are going to feel like they can handle those guys.

Marvell wrote:I'm actually pretty optimistic about the defense.

Me too. I have no big concerns there.

I can see Porter being a problem child. He's never been happy. But Lelie is mostly pissed because Denver brought in Walker. I think Lelie wanted to be The Man whenever Rod Smith finally retires, but with Walker, that's not likely. Wouldn't it be possible that Lelie would appreciate the irony of going to the team that gave Walker to Denver?

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:58 pm

As I understand it, Lelie is still a Bronco and Porter is still a Raider. Either would need to be acquired via trade. They're both talented guys, both can stretch the field, but I don't see where either would be worth giving up something substantial to get. Maybe if you could get one of them for a box of kicking tees.

I think the D is shaping up really nicely, at least on the talent side. I haven't seen enough of Sanders' scheme to tell if he knows what he's doing, though. Hodge and Hawk will be a nice complement to Barnett, who has been a solid if not specatular player. The secondary is looking up also, if only because Ahmad Carroll will no longer start. Charles Woodson is no superstar, but he's a huge upgrade on Carroll. Nick Collins looks like a keeper at free safety, and Marquand Manuel is an upgrade at SS. The D line looks about as good as it has in years, thopugh it would be nice to have a speed rusher who's more consistent than KGB. Pickett is a nice addition, though, and Kampman is solid.

Offense remains as the big question mark. I think they have some talent, but injuries to the O line are gonna hurt them. If the Packers are going to be successful on the offensive side of the ball, they're going to need to run consistently, and I'm not convinced they're going to be able to do that. They also need to keep #4 from putting the ball up for grabs all the time. What I've seen from McCarthy's handling of Favre so far is encouraging, but I'll believe it when I see it on the field. The receivers will be fine; I think Driver is a good receiver for thism offense, and Jennings seem to be shining in camp so far. It's Ferguson's time to step up, though (I think that gets said every year, don't we?). I think a big receiver like him should prosper in this system, but he's got to do it. As for the backs- it all comes down to how they've recovered from injuries.

The less said about special teams, the better. Suffice to say that this is the weakest part of the team.

I think this is a team that could surprise a few people. They're capable of winning up to 10 games if everything breaks right for them. More realistic is that they're gonna wind up between 7 and 9 wins. Despite Michael Wilbon's hometown boosterism, the Bears are gonna be back to a 6-8 win team this year, the Lions will suck again, and the Vikes are the Vikes. The Pack will be in the running for a playoff spot until late December.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:10 pm

buckyor wrote:As I understand it, Lelie is still a Bronco and Porter is still a Raider. Either would need to be acquired via trade. They're both talented guys, both can stretch the field, but I don't see where either would be worth giving up something substantial to get. Maybe if you could get one of them for a box of kicking tees.

I think the conventional wisdom is that these guys are just plain pushing to get out, and if they push hard enough, they might just get released. Porter's got an unfriendly contract, and Lelie is holding out, thereby wearing out his welcome fast.

I agree there's litte reason for GB to trade for them.

pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:12 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread but all this WR talk reminded me....are we having a Foron fantasy league again this year?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:05 am

Well, today the Broncos traded Lelie to Atlanta, getting two draft picks from Washington, who in turn got T.J. Duckett from Atlanta. Oh well.

AJ Love
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AJ Love » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:04 pm

Jennings looks like the real deal

Lelie is a real roll of the dice and kinda fragile. I think Washington got the best of that 3 wat trade, Duckett is a damn good RB, maybe not elite but a very very good pickup for Washington

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:08 pm

Doesn't matter. 0-16.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:23 pm

minicat wrote:Doesn't matter. 0-16.

Cute.

Oh wait, did you want me to throw my hat on the ground and bluster like Foghorn Leghorn? Challenge you to a duel? Post a bunch of statistics about retiring QBs and first-year coaches and a ton of other fanboy nonsense?

Sorry.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:32 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
minicat wrote:Doesn't matter. 0-16.

Cute.

Oh wait, did you want me to throw my hat on the ground and bluster like Foghorn Leghorn? Challenge you to a duel? Post a bunch of statistics about retiring QBs and first-year coaches and a ton of other fanboy nonsense?

Sorry.

No, I don't think it's worth getting worked up about. I'm just sticking with my original prediction made after they fired Sherman and hired exactly the same doofus to replace him.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”