Wrestling Talk

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:00 pm

I can't believe this discussion is happening and the name Baron Von Raschke hasn't come up. The Claw was the best finishing move ever.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:15 pm

The Baron used to train in the caves of Austria, cracking coconuts and ripping phone books in half.

I believe he sometimes wore a Kaiser helmet.

For a time, I believe he was the arch-nemesis of Rock 'n Roll Zumhoff.

ECDkeys

Postby ECDkeys » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:32 pm

nevermore wrote:I can't believe this discussion is happening and the name Baron Von Raschke hasn't come up. The Claw was the best finishing move ever.

I think it was Sunday mornings in Milwaukee that my dad and I would tune into the independent TV station to watch wrestling. This was eons ago, so I could be mistaken, but I certainly miss the public access quality of the production and the relatively puny size of the audience. I have vague recollections of the Baron's hilarious over-the-top interviews. Charming.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:50 pm

nevermore wrote:I can't believe this discussion is happening and the name Baron Von Raschke hasn't come up. The Claw was the best finishing move ever.

Yeah yeah, your shock is noted. This thread is how old? And how many cool wrestlers have there been throughout the years? Man, give it a chance to grow!

I seem to remember hearing that the Baron was a maniac and would often cross the line between acting/brutality. Fall guys would end up badly hurt and some bigger names refused to wrestle him. The Claw was a friggin' scary thing.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:58 pm

supaunknown wrote: And how many cool wrestlers have there been throughout the years?

One.
R.I.P. Andy Kaufman.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:46 pm

ECDkeys wrote:I think it was Sunday mornings in Milwaukee that my dad and I would tune into the independent TV station to watch wrestling. This was eons ago, so I could be mistaken, but I certainly miss the public access quality of the production and the relatively puny size of the audience. I have vague recollections of the Baron's hilarious over-the-top interviews. Charming.

Channel 18. I used to watch big time wresting as a kid, soon after WVTV started in the late 50s. Who could forget Killer Kowalski, Dick the Bruiser, Haystack Calhoun, Argentina Rocca or Andre the Giant? Of course, Verne Gagne was my hero.

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:34 pm

jjoyce wrote:My wrestling roots lie firmly in the AWA with the Gagnes, Jesse "The Body" Ventura, The Crusher, etc.

Mine too. Although I can't stand the High Cryers because Greg Gagne called me a girl at a match in the Cannon Falls High School gym sometime in the late seventies or early eighties.

supaunknown wrote:I seem to remember hearing that the Baron was a maniac and would often cross the line between acting/brutality. Fall guys would end up badly hurt and some bigger names refused to wrestle him. The Claw was a friggin' scary thing.

This guy? It was all just part of the character.

jjoyce wrote:For a time, I believe he was the arch-nemesis of Rock 'n Roll Zumhoff.

Right you are. I remember seeing the Baron defeat the powder-blue-jumpsuit wearing fool in Zumbrota. Smashed his boom box and everything!

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:36 pm

Dat is all da people need to know!

nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:52 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
ECDkeys wrote:I think it was Sunday mornings in Milwaukee that my dad and I would tune into the independent TV station to watch wrestling. This was eons ago, so I could be mistaken, but I certainly miss the public access quality of the production and the relatively puny size of the audience. I have vague recollections of the Baron's hilarious over-the-top interviews. Charming.

Channel 18. I used to watch big time wresting as a kid, soon after WVTV started in the late 50s. Who could forget Killer Kowalski, Dick the Bruiser, Haystack Calhoun, Argentina Rocca or Andre the Giant? Of course, Verne Gagne was my hero.

Growing up in a no-cable farmtown in the early 80's, on Sunday Mornings my viewing choices on the four channels were: God, God, McLaughlin Group and All-Star Wrestling. And who says 'no' to Mean Gene Okerlund? So I spent my Sunday Mornings with The Baron (my favorite) Rick Flair, the brothers Gagne, Tito Santana, Andre the Giant, Bobby "The Brain" Bruer...ERRRR...Heenan, "The Body" et al.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:41 am

Ed Breakfast wrote:
supaunknown wrote:I seem to remember hearing that the Baron was a maniac and would often cross the line between acting/brutality. Fall guys would end up badly hurt and some bigger names refused to wrestle him. The Claw was a friggin' scary thing.

This guy? It was all just part of the character.

Heh. Yeah, probably just some wrestler folklore that the little kid in me convinced my mind was true. Ya never know ...

"Once I became the Baron all those inhibitions I had, all those deep psychological restrictions that I put on myself as Jim Raschke were completely wiped out ... the Baron could say and do about anything he wanted." (from the Canadian TV special "Wrestling with the Past")

... what darkness lies in the heart of man.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:05 am

Ed Breakfast wrote:Smashed his boom box and everything!

Zumhoff had that boombox smashed weekly... if not more often. But the fact that you refer to the "High Cryers" and freakin' Zumbrota in the same post basically makes you a Minnesota superstar in my book.

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:48 pm

Guilty as charged. Go Bombers!

DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:42 pm

Any of you AWA fans remember Jake "The Milkman" Milliman? One of their long-term jobber guys who always got a beat-down from the name wrestlers?

Here's a fun story for you:

Last March the band is booked to play at West Allis strip club Heartbreakers. We're loading our gear in and waiting for our pals Viva La Foxx from Kentucky to show up. I ask Brian, the booking guy (you may remember him from The Rock Shop if you ever played there) where we could run and buy beer for the afterbar, and his response was "ask Jake the Milkman, he lives around here." I immediately realized that he was referring to the door guy, a short, white-haired geezer with a beard. I looked at Brian and asked, "Wait, do you call him Jake the Milkman because he looks like the old AWA wrestler?" Brian's response was, "No, we call him that because that IS him."

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:47 pm

There are so many awesome things about that post, I don't know where to start.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:50 pm

DrAwkward wrote:Any of you AWA fans remember Jake "The Milkman" Milliman? One of their long-term jobber guys who always got a beat-down from the name wrestlers?

Was he ever in some sort of turkey match in AWA? (I'm not kidding)

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”