Wrestling Talk

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Wrestling Talk

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:42 am

So, don't you feel like the WWE is about to see another period of mainstream popularity? A friend of a friend is a writer there and passes along how excited people are with Hulk Hogan's return to the spotlight.

My wrestling roots lie firmly in the AWA with the Gagnes, Jesse "The Body" Ventura, The Crusher, etc. I could never stomach that southern version or the Von Eriks.

What about y'all? Anyone ever actually see it live?

http://www.wwe.com/superstars/halloffame/

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:12 am

Hulk Hogan's return? Hulk Hogan returns once every 6-12 months to have a crappy match and sign a big fat check. Now he's doing it to 'help' his daughter's singing career.

I've never seen it live, hopefully someday I will. I watch pro wrestling regularly on TV, and it seems like there are fewer people following it right now.

As far as mainstream popularity, the only way it could be on the rise is through John Cena, the whiteboy rapper who's been champ for a long time (until recently). Kids love him, he put out a rap album and the WWE have started up a movie company, soon to release a film starring Cena (although I think it was made over a year ago; they also recently released a b-horror starring Kane called See No Evil, it tanked). But older fans tend to hate Cena, as his character is incredibly annoying, and he's pretty crappy in the ring; same 5 moves, end.

AWA was cool, the first wrestling I ever saw. WWE owns all of those tapes, they should release DVD compilations of it. I'd love to see some old Col. DeBeers or Maddog Vachon matches.

Billy Shears
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Billy Shears » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:58 am

When the sci fi channel put Tuesday Night Wrestling into its lineup, I kinda figured it was making some sort of comeback.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:34 am

Billy Shears wrote:When the sci fi channel put Tuesday Night Wrestling into its lineup, I kinda figured it was making some sort of comeback.

That's the new "ECW", which is also owned by WWE.

I suppose, there is pro wrestling on TV 4 nights a week now, 3 of the shows being WWE. Thursday nights on Spike is TNA, which is really starting to come around and get very entertaining.

Hmm, maybe it is coming back. I'm all for that, although I just moved and I don't have cable anymore.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:04 am

WOOOOO!!!

Hulk Hogan may be the biggest name in wrestling but he's got the lamest finishing move ever (leg drop). He's fun to watch though, ya know, personality. I've never forget him suplexing Big Boss Man from two stories up in a cage match. Both those guys were fuckin' hardcore to pull off that move.

My fav will probably always be "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair. He's simply the whole package: brash, loud, tough, bloody, bad-ass ... plus he's got a great finishing move (figure-four leglock).

Barry Horowitz is probably one of the most famous journeyman "fall guy" wrestlers. He was awesome 'cuz he was big & skilled enough to get into the ring with anybody and take a crowd-pleasing whoopin'. Also very vocal and interacted well with the crowd (yelled "SHUT UP!" when the crowd tauntingly chanted, "Bar-ry, Bar-ry"). Loved his congratulatory signature of patting himself on the back!

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:08 am

supaunknown wrote:WOOOOO!!!

Hulk Hogan may be the biggest name in wrestling but he's got the lamest finishing move ever (leg drop). He's fun to watch though, ya know, personality. I've never forget him suplexing Big Boss Man from two stories up in a cage match. Both those guys were fuckin' hardcore to pull off that move.

My fav will probably always be "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair. He's simply the whole package: brash, loud, tough, bloody, bad-ass ... plus he's got a great finishing move (figure-four leglock).

Barry Horowitz is probably one of the most famous journeyman "fall guy" wrestlers. He was awesome 'cuz he was big & skilled enough to get into the ring with anybody and take a crowd-pleasing whoopin'. Also very vocal and interacted well with the crowd (yelled "SHUT UP!" when the crowd tauntingly chanted, "Bar-ry, Bar-ry"). Loved his congratulatory signature of patting himself on the back!

Agreed on all points. While moving this weekend, I found the Barry Horowitz action figure you gave me. Awesome.

Ric Flair is still around and he can still put on a better match than most. He's currently in a feud with Mick Foley.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:18 am

My favorites were always the freaks, guys like Mad Dog Vashon, George The Animal Steel, etc. And then there was that guy way back who was known for going bear huntin' with a switch. And what about Hacksaw Jim Dugan, who carried that board with a nail through it into the ring?

Still, that last popular era of the WWE/WWF was pretty special, highlights wise. Stone Cold Steve Austin driving a beer truck into the arena, finishing somebody off and then slamming a couple cans before flipping off the crowd. Genius. I'm even partial to the Rock due to the pure inventiveness of his schtick. Smackdown Hotel on Know Your Role Boulevard, or whatever? Can you smell what the Rock is cookin'? I love that kind of garbage.

A friend of a friend has written on and off for the WWE for a few years now (as has Bob Mould) and loves to relate classic story lines via email. One of my faves is when Vince McMahon has to leave town or something and leaves some morally bankrupt wrestler in charge of the league. Never not funny.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:27 am

Kyle Motor wrote:While moving this weekend, I found the Barry Horowitz action figure you gave me. Awesome.

That's Barry Windham, not Horowitz.

Hope the move went well. Keep cool.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:28 am

Hacksaw Jim Duggan, HOOOOO!!! He's been lurking around lately too, jobbing to new guys they wanna push.

If you liked the Rock and Stone Cold, keep an eye peeled to Smackdown on friday nights, they have the future of pro wrestling, and he's Sconnie! Ken Kennedy (real name Ken Anderson), from Green Bay. He's great in the ring, he's even better on the mic. Such a bastard! He announces himself in the ring, and when he gets to the "I hail from Greeeeeen Baaaaay Wisconsiiiiiin!!!" part, everybody boos. I can't wait til they have a taping in Wisconsin so everybody will cheer him, even though he's a bad guy.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:30 am

supaunknown wrote:
Kyle Motor wrote:While moving this weekend, I found the Barry Horowitz action figure you gave me. Awesome.

Hope the move went well. Keep cool.

I dunno, the one you gave me doesn't have blonde hair like Windham, he's got a beard like Horowitz. Either way, its super cool.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:16 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:
supaunknown wrote:

I dunno, the one you gave me doesn't have blonde hair like Windham, he's got a beard like Horowitz. Either way, its super cool.

1) Like they ever made a Barry Horowitz action figure. :roll:
2) Like, if they had made a Barry Horowitz action figure, that I'd give it to you. :lol:
3) That Windham dollie does have blond hair - dirty blond. Can't explain the weird beard ... :?

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:20 pm

OK, kids, it's past your bedtime.

No arguments! I told you you could have Kyle sleep over, but that lights out was at 11:00! Don't make me come down there or you'll be sorry!

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:21 pm

Like I said, I can't explain the weird Beard!

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:42 pm

supaunknown wrote:
Kyle Motor wrote:
supaunknown wrote:

2) Like, if they had made a Barry Horowitz action figure, that I'd give it to you. :lol:
3) That Windham dollie does have blond hair - dirty blond. Can't explain the weird beard ... :?

Actually, that figure looks more like Arn Anderson than anything else.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:16 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:
supaunknown wrote:
Kyle Motor wrote:
supaunknown wrote:

Actually, that figure looks more like Arn Anderson than anything else.

Yah, except for the pony tail. It's Windham from when he & Lex Luger joined Arn Anderson & Ric Flair as part of the second/third incarnation of the legendary Four Horsemen.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”