Summer Volleyball

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!
gotmoxie

Summer Volleyball

Postby gotmoxie » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:49 pm

Anyone know what bars play host to summer volleyball? I'm looking to sign-up with a co-ed team.

Shpiker
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shpiker » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:08 pm

Almost any bar that has even a hint of sand...

Biggies off the top of my head that I've played at:
Sports Pub (East side near MATC)
Badger Bowl (South side off beltline & rimrock)
Wisco Pub (corner of Willy St & Paterson)
Bowling Green (Middleton)
Ten Pin Alley (Fitchburg/Verona area - Nesbitt Rd)
JJ's Top of the Swamp - Hwy 113 north side

tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:01 pm

What level of competition? If you're just looking to have a good time, most of the bars around town are fine for that. The Bar Formerly Known As Jingles (can't recall the new name) down by the field house is a fine place to go if you're looking to play rec league and drink a bunch of beer.

If you're looking to play more competitively, your options dwindle pretty fast as far as sand leagues go. Club Tavern used to have some quality leagues, not sure if they're still good or not. The Coke brothers used to run a sand doubles league on the east side, but this was years ago - dunno if they're still doing it. There used to be (probably still is) a very, very good grass league run by Mike Schwartz during the week - that was always fun, but it's grass, which isn't nearly as good a game as sand.

The best sand games in town were usually down at the Nat, but that's doubles. They did run a rec league there in the summer, but I think you need to be a UW student to participate, plus they didn't have a bar, so what's the point?

Shpiker
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shpiker » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:11 am

Oh yeah- tibor brought up a couple good places I'd forgotten- Stadium Bar (formerly Jingles) by Camp Randall and The Club Tavern in Middleton.

And competition is a good point. Best I've participated in for good power leagues is at Bowling Green (very good refs too) and Sports Pub (refs average, but play is VERY good).

Also, Christie's Landing on the west coast of Lake Waubesa- some VERY good players out there, but I'm not a fan of the court although it's been three or four years since I've played there so maybe it's improved.

Lastly, if you get the urge to travel- head to either Milwaukee's lakefront or even better, Chicago's lakefront when for some good beach volleyball.

Suoiragerg
Forum Addict

Postby Suoiragerg » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:20 am

I think the Thursday night coed 6s at sports pub is the most competitive. Club Tavern used to have some good competition but when they expanded they went down to one court and dumped their 4's leagues and the competition for all the leagues went down.

Schwartzes grass leaugues are still going on a renanbaum (sp?) if you want to play on grass.

Anyone can play at the Nat in the summer. Most of the action is twos and if you don't know the people playing you better bring your own partner as it is pretty much volleyball snobs down there. Also, expect to wait a bit to get on a court.

Men's fours at Sports Pub on Monday night is good. They split it into A and B leaugues so you have good competition.

Suoiragerg
Forum Addict

Postby Suoiragerg » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:24 am

Shpiker wrote:
Also, Christie's Landing on the west coast of Lake Waubesa- some VERY good players out there, but I'm not a fan of the court although it's been three or four years since I've played there so maybe it's improved.

There is still the tree branches hanging over the court if that is what you mean.

Shpiker
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shpiker » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:31 am

Suoiragerg wrote:
Shpiker wrote:

There is still the tree branches hanging over the court if that is what you mean.

Heh, yeah although it wasn't so much the branches as it was the subsequent acorns and debris in the sand (which wasn't too terribly thick when I played). Nothing like coming down from a spike and landing squarely on an acorn!

tbro

grass leagues

Postby tbro » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:57 am

Does anyone know the contact information to join the grass leagues?? I'm VERY interested in having a team.

Suoiragerg wrote:I think the Thursday night coed 6s at sports pub is the most competitive. Club Tavern used to have some good competition but when they expanded they went down to one court and dumped their 4's leagues and the competition for all the leagues went down.

Schwartzes grass leaugues are still going on a renanbaum (sp?) if you want to play on grass.

Anyone can play at the Nat in the summer. Most of the action is twos and if you don't know the people playing you better bring your own partner as it is pretty much volleyball snobs down there. Also, expect to wait a bit to get on a court.

Men's fours at Sports Pub on Monday night is good. They split it into A and B leaugues so you have good competition.

Return to “Sports, Recreation & Biking”