Tolerance message from United Church of Christ censored

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Do think messages of tolerance and inclusion should be censored?

Yes, we need censorship for freedom.
8%
Yes, censorship is the price of civility.
No votes
Yes, only religious views of bigotry and prejudice should be allowed
28%
No. We love our freedom.
64%

Total votes: 25

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:06 am

Igor wrote:- Either media outlets can pick their advertisers, or they can't. People certainly can protest those decisions as described above, but it is tough to tell "Highlights for Kids" that they have to run the Trojan ad.

This is a straw-man argument. Nobody in this thread has said that CBS and NBC can't pick their advertisers, we've just strongly disagreed with the decision they've made. Read back up the thread - people are posting phone numbers for complaint lines at CBS and NBC, not at the FCC or the Justice Department.

- I really thought that this thread would mention that hallowed wall between church and state.

Why should we? Nobody here has mentioned getting the state involved in any way.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:19 am

ShaneDog wrote:Actually censorship is pretty much any attempt to supress information. The agent of censorship can be the government, the media, or your sunday school teacher.

Or yourself, a fact lost on the wmds and BDWGs of the world.

CBS and NBC are total pussies. Liberal media bias, my ass. But I think they've inadvertantly done the UCC some good. I'm not interested in joining a church, but as I listened to someone discussing this issue, I thought, hmmm, maybe I should check out the UCC. It was a fleeting thought, but if I had it, I can only imagine that people more open to the idea of finding a church might feel a stronger pull. First Congregational on University is a beautiful church...

bubbaquimby
Forum Addict

Postby bubbaquimby » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:42 am

The networks have every right to not put this ad on their stations. It is not censorship, they get to chose what they advertise. You can protest it and tell them they are wrong but they can censor it if they want to because they are not a goverment run or paid institution. They maybe chicken shit for not advertising it but that is the way it is, I don't know about you but I haven't seen any against gay marriage ads either on those two stations.

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:06 pm

Well I think it could be considered censorship because of the reason they are not running it. They are saying it's controversial, but it's not. Will and Grace is on NBC, right? If they think talking about gays going to church is controversial, then you would think that that show, which talks about way more controversial topics, like cruisy gyms and other gay stuff would be too controversial for them to show. They are clearly using a double standard and that is why it is censorship and hypocritical of them to not run this commercial.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:15 pm

I'm sick of the word tolerate.
It sounds like we're just barely supressing our violent loathing.
From now on let's try the word live.
Let's live with each other.
Let's live with gays and blacks and browns and Muslims and freaks and those who are just like us and those who aren't..
Life is a place where people live.
Okay?

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:28 pm

ShaneDog wrote:Will and Grace is on NBC, right? If they think talking about gays going to church is controversial, then you would think that that show, which talks about way more controversial topics, like cruisy gyms and other gay stuff would be too controversial for them to show.

I think that to a certain extent they get away with W&G because it reinforces gay stereotypes, maybe as much as it challenges them. Sure, Will is portrayed as a reasonably real person, but then you've got Jack, who is just a flaming caricature.

It's easier for a lot of people to laugh at funny, gay Jack than it is to contemplate seeing a gay couple in their church.

bubbaquimby
Forum Addict

Postby bubbaquimby » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:35 pm

Will & Grace may be controversial but not as much as accepting gays in church. Will & Grace sells, gay men and women being married in your church doesn't. CBS has had a lot of controversary lately and I imagine that has a lot to do with it, NBC I think just doesn't want either side of the argument, and that is their choice. It is not censorship. UCC is the farthest left Christian church in America and very few Christians share their views on the world. I am fine with gay marriage as far as making it legal but I don't want my church making it acceptable. But the UCC should be able to have their opinions and do what they feel is right and the networks have the right to not have it on their station, especially if they are not having the other side of the argument speak either.

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:57 pm

You obviously haven't seen the commercial. It's not about gay marriage!

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:59 pm

bubbaquimby wrote:UCC is the farthest left Christian church in America and very few Christians share their views on the world.

What about the Quakers? What about Unitarian Universalists?

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:03 pm

This situation sort of reminds me of the controversy a few years ago when The Badger Herald ran that racist advertisement by David Horowitz claiming that they had an obligation to run it because of free speech and all that, but when the MCSC wanted to run an ad refuting it, they refused to run it. You can't have it both ways. Where are all the newspaper editors who were praising Badger Herald for their brave actions in support of free speech?

bubbaquimby
Forum Addict

Postby bubbaquimby » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:37 pm

Ok, I have seen it now, but the controversial part is gays and would be seen as accepting gay marriage.
And I did forgot those two churches which still make a small percentage of Christian churches.
But that wasn't the point. Newspapers and TV are interesting in increased readership and viewship and if they feel this will decrease that then they will not put it on. I find nothing wrong with that it is there choice, you don't have to read it or watch it.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:40 pm

bubbaquimby wrote:I am fine with gay marriage as far as making it legal but I don't want my church making it acceptable.

Why the hell not? I have yet to hear ANY basis for this sentiment that doesn't arise from "eeeeeeeeyew." How fucking stupid.

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:07 pm

blunt wrote:Let's live with each other.
Let's live with gays and blacks and browns and Muslims and freaks and those who are just like us and those who aren't..
Life is a place where people live.
Okay?

It's shit like this that'll getchya killed.

bubbaquimby
Forum Addict

Postby bubbaquimby » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:10 pm

Ducatista wrote:
bubbaquimby wrote:I am fine with gay marriage as far as making it legal but I don't want my church making it acceptable.

Why the hell not? I have yet to hear ANY basis for this sentiment that doesn't arise from "eeeeeeeeyew." How fucking stupid.

This is why people are upset about gay marriage, because even when someone respects the separation of church and state, you cannot respect my right to have a church that doesn't believe in it.

ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:16 pm

bubbaquimby wrote:
Ducatista wrote:

This is why people are upset about gay marriage, because even when someone respects the separation of church and state, you cannot respect my right to have a church that doesn't believe in it.

I don't think you understand what gay marriage / civil marriage equality advocates are asking for. No one has ever proposed that churches have to marry gay people, even if gay marriage is legalized. When gay marriage is legalized, and it will be, only churches that agree with it will perform gay marriages.

Return to “Headlines”