Madison is greenest city

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Madison is greenest city

Postby Beaver » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:23 pm

We rank as the #1 greenest city. Congratulations to all you bus riding, bike riding, park going Madisonions!

http://ecowatch.com/2014/04/14/25-greenest-cities/

"Here’s what the site had to say about its top selection, Madison, WI:
“Madison earns the distinction of being the greenest city in the U.S., partly due to the fact that the city is literally “green”—its 12.7 parks per 10,000 residents is the highest mark of all cities in the country. The Madison area is home to over 15,000 acres of lakes and more than 200 miles of biking and hiking trails. In fact, the city boasts more bikes than cars, which no doubt contributes to the area’s great air quality.”

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Madison is greenest city

Postby fennel » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Beaver wrote:Madison earns the distinction of being the greenest city in the U.S., partly due to the fact that the city is literally “green”...
I have noticed that about the lakes — by mid July, say.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:32 pm

city is literally “green”—its 12.7 parks per 10,000 residents is the highest mark of all cities in the country.

What moron came up with this stat? If I were looking for a way to rank green space that had no actual bearing on how much green space there was, I don't think I could come up with a better method. By this calculation Central park in NYC provides the same amount of green space as Brittingham Park.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:21 am

I would consider any positive remarks from EcoWatch as a negative, not something to be desired.

Glad to see that Janesville didn't make the list.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:01 am

"Ecowatch" (whatever that is) is only reporting on somebody else's list. They had nothing to do with the list itself.

The actual source of the rankings is some site called "NerdWallet" who bills themselves as "Your nerdy friend for all of life's financial decisions." They mostly seem to give advice about finance, investing, and whatnot.

Janesville did not make the list because Janesville is not among the 95 largest cities in America, which were the only cities included.

The criteria used in the ranking are listed at NerdWallet. They are basically air quality, number of parks, and a couple of transportation-related variables.

It seems a fairly dumb and unserious list. But not as dumb and unserious as expressing pleasure at the thought that one's own home town is notable for its high level of air pollution, absence of public parks, heavy dependence on autos, and/or frequent traffic congestion.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:48 am

kurt_w wrote:It seems a fairly dumb and unserious list. But not as dumb and unserious as expressing pleasure at the thought that one's own home town is notable for its high level of air pollution, absence of public parks, heavy dependence on autos, and/or frequent traffic congestion.

And joblessness. I used to live in Beloit and the difference between it and Janesville was sharp, even before Beloit Corp and Fairbanks Morse shut down. Beloit was run down, Janesville was clipped, washed, and full of cops. It was common knowledge that you didn't want to get caught walking while black in Janesville.

Then GM left. Now it's full of permanent yard sales, cars on blocks, abandoned houses and vast empty parking lots. Great place to live

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:10 am

I never spent much time in Janesville, so I can't comment on what rabble says.

I was just amused by Sandi's characteristically surly post, and by the idea that someone would actually cheer for their home town to be left off a list of places with low air pollution, lots of parks, and not too much traffic congestion.

It's like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face. It highlights how weirdly the modern conservative movement has become bent all out of shape by cultural resentment.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:18 am

kurt_w wrote:and by the idea that someone would actually cheer for their home town to be left off a list of places with low air pollution, lots of parks, and not too much traffic congestion.

If it's an indication of the type of people who live there, it's no wonder Janesville is such a crap factory. If you don't have pride in your city, how can it be a great place to live.

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:02 pm

rabble wrote: I used to live in Beloit and the difference between it and Janesville was sharp, even before Beloit Corp and Fairbanks Morse shut down. Beloit was run down, Janesville was clipped, washed, and full of cops.

That was probably why Waverly Beach in Beloit did such good business. Plus Jules Blatner and the Warren Groovy All-Star Band appeared there frequently.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:15 pm

Stella_Guru wrote:
rabble wrote: I used to live in Beloit and the difference between it and Janesville was sharp, even before Beloit Corp and Fairbanks Morse shut down. Beloit was run down, Janesville was clipped, washed, and full of cops.

That was probably why Waverly Beach in Beloit did such good business. Plus Jules Blatner and the Warren Groovy All-Star Band appeared there frequently.

I saw the Runaways and Cheap Trick there!

Those are the ones I remember anyway.

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:19 am

rabble wrote:
Stella_Guru wrote:

I saw the Runaways and Cheap Trick there!

Those are the ones I remember anyway.

About 40 years ago I saw Jeerleader aka Ted Nugent there too!!!

Return to “Headlines”