Lyft and Uber get their first citations

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lyft and Uber get their first citations

Postby snoqueen » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am

The NY attorney general addresses the possibility of regulating internet businesses (mentioning Uber in particular) while still allowing alternative business models space to operate.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/op ... om=opinion

He mentions that during periods of bad weather last year, Uber charged New Yorkers as much as eight times the company's base price. The AG is investigating whether this is prohibited behavior under the same laws he used to sue gas stations that jacked their prices way up during Hurricane Sandy.

Things don't have to get that bad in Madison if we work together and set up some fair, enforceable regulations at the outset.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:47 pm

"Progressives" like things the way they are. Especially when it comes to government bureaucracy and lots and lots of "rules", "taxes" and "fees". They feed the beast that most of them are part of.

Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:01 pm

"Progressives" believe in the rule of law and the value of regulations that protect health, safety and welfare.

And as I recall, the Progressive Era was not about maintaining the status quo.

So your commentary is both silly and false.

nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:17 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:"Progressives" like things the way they are. Especially when it comes to government bureaucracy and lots and lots of "rules", "taxes" and "fees". They feed the beast that most of them are part of.

nutria wrote:Your use of "quotes" would "embarrass" a brain-damaged "ESL student."

Fucking pederast.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:24 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:So your commentary is both silly and false.
Yes, but take note this is a current talking point amongst the trogs. See George Will on the Colbert Report. The point seems to be that, though having emerged from the Dark Ages was all well and good, that was some time ago. So ought'nt we revisit the Dark Ages as a model for current policy?

(Clear, reasoned thinking has an expiry date, apparently.)

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:22 pm

Uber doesn't come out looking too good after some Chicago journalists examine a very small sample of drivers' backgrounds and put its hiring practices to a test:

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/w ... c5ce4.html

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:48 pm

snoqueen wrote:Uber doesn't come out looking too good after some Chicago journalists examine a very small sample of drivers' backgrounds and put its hiring practices to a test:

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/w ... c5ce4.html

I'm not sure what to think about Lyft and Uber. Looking at your article from Madison.com, the quote "Not one of the drivers knew his way around the city", seems a little subjective. How do you prove or disprove that statement, in a comprehensive manner?

Also, why does it matter if one driver had 26 tickets? What is that proof of? There are definitely licensed taxi drivers in Chicago with 26 or more tickets picking up riders at the airport this very minute.

However, I'm not for taking the transportation market and just blindly throwing it out to the wolves. I see Lyft as a blessing and a curse. I think it would be a curse in Madison because the existing companies can hire as many drivers as they want and register as many vehicles as business requires. There's a lot of things I don't like about city planning in Madison today, but the people who set up the private transportation system in Madison really got it right.

In a place like Milwaukee, they screwed it up beyond repair. The customers are the losers and they have no effectual choice in vendors. There are strict limits on the number of cars on the road, they would rather squeeze unsatisfied customers for more to distribute amongst the few. Riders might end up waiting 2 or 3 hours for a cab in Milwaukee or Chicago. For those towns, and especially cities like Atlanta, Lyft and Uber access to riders is probably a good thing.

iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby iwiw99 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:51 am

I have not tried Uber or Lyft

I took the bus this morning, I had 2 bucks and had lost my CC. Courteous and on time. Yes, I got the glare on the bus, but that fat white guy with the drippy sweatshirt couldn't speak.

I think the bus service in Madison is terrific.

This is the first time in a few years I have used Madison Metro, when in the past, I had to use it all the time. (No driving)

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:56 pm

If a tavern decides to start having drinks ordered via peoples' smartphones rather than have wait staff come to the table to take the order then does that mean they should be allowed to ignore any&all other rules/regulations/laws that apply to taverns?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 08, 2014 9:29 am

The dispute between taxi companies and these share ride services has gone international.

London black taxis plan congestion chaos to block Uber

Ms Vilas and I will be in London this weekend to see this firsthand.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess

Postby FJD » Thu May 08, 2014 9:31 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Ms Vilas and I will be in London this weekend to see this firsthand.

You really should take advantage of the trip and do more than that.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:27 am

Here is how one state is dealing with this:

It’s fast and convenient. But it’s also illegal in Virginia, and police have started handing out citations to drivers in the weeks since the state’s Department of Motor Vehicles issued a “cease and desist” order to the companies Uber and Lyft, saying they don’t have the proper permits to operate in the state.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:41 pm

Oh great, the GOP is suddenly taking an interest in Uber.

“Our cities also deserve innovative, efficient and safe transportation choices without excessive and intrusive bureaucratic red tape,” the RNC wrote in an email to supporters Wednesday. “That’s why our cities need innovative solutions like the Uber car service.”

Ah yes, sounds like their standard free-market-for-everything mantra, yes? But, being Republicans, there's a more self-serving motive behind it all:

The message wasn’t designed as an advertisement for the Uber, but rather a list-building and messaging effort by the party as it seeks to broaden its appeal to millennials and libertarians before this fall’s midterm elections.

So I imagine we can expect our "Local control! *except when it benefits us" assholes like Grothman to wade into Madison's attempt to regulate ride-sharing services soon enough.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:47 pm

One of those state asshats was already on it:

http://www.isthmus.com/daily/article.php?article=42573

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:25 pm

minicat wrote:One of those state asshats was already on it:

http://www.isthmus.com/daily/article.php?article=42573

Figures. Guess the talking points were distributed back in April. Their newsletter people are running behind!

Return to “Headlines”