Population: too high, or too low?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Population: too high, or too low?

Postby Dairylander » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:55 pm

This is a long video, but an interesting perspective on the population reduction goal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3cvqrN ... e=youtu.be

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Well, I got as far as "she's a doctor!"

Is that bad of me?

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:07 pm

fennel wrote:Well, I got as far as "she's a doctor!"

You got the gist of it. The remaining 80 minutes are mostly footnotes.
Funny that the same thing almost happened to me. The bobble head girl that does the introduction was so irritating that I almost shut it off.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:02 am

massimo wrote:Interesting. 7.1 billion people / 268,820 miles^2 =

26.4k people/mile^2

This is about the density of New York City.

A NYC the size of TX, that's nuts.

That does create quite the image. Imagine the traffic reports: "This morning's commute is 3 days.... "

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:02 pm

And I understand Texas has very liberal gun laws...

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:16 pm

Bwis53 wrote:And I understand Texas has very liberal gun laws...

Alright, I'll take the bait since I wouldn't want to disappoint you.

No... New York does. And it's for the worse too. Texas gun laws are in many respects nothing like the common public perception. I prefer Wisconsin's over Texas. But to repeat myself: world population, too damn high!

We're back on topic.... everyone breathe.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:30 am

The murals at the Denver airport predict depopulation by chemical/biological weapons?
http://thechive.com/2012/03/08/somethin ... 25-photos/

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:37 am

Dairylander wrote:The murals at the Denver airport predict depopulation by chemical/biological weapons?

From the article:

Note: I'm not a conspiracy guy in any way, I fancy myself as more of a beer drinker, so take this post more in the spirit of WTF than an accusation.

Yet:

UPDATE BY LEO: President Obama was in Denver Sept 27th last year when Comet Elenin passed by the earth, “barely missing” us by 22 miles. Some say, that if the comet would have struck earth, it’s back to the stone-age for us. Nonetheless, their was a chance that it could have hit and President Obama was conveniently ushered to Denver… which, in my opinion, adds more to the existence of not only a military bunker, but also the largest, most advanced bunker in the US -because the President wouldn’t go to some half-ass bunker if there was a threat of complete world destruction. Just sayin..

:crazy:

But hey Dairylander, believe all the cuckoos you want.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:51 am

Dairylander wrote:The murals at the Denver airport predict depopulation by chemical/biological weapons?
http://thechive.com/2012/03/08/somethin ... 25-photos/

Hmm, that first picture looks more like people sleep peacefully while guarded by someone dressed a little bit like a WW2 era Soviet soldier with Michael Jackson-like epaulets carrying a scimitar, and a rifle that looks like a cross between an M-16 and an AK.

There's little in art that's truly profound, or, even truly art. I wouldn't read too much into a hack mural.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:30 am

Dangerousman wrote:I wouldn't read too much into a hack mural.

Not to thread jack too much more, but here is a list of all the public artwork in the airport. Note that the various murals were all made by different artists. They MUST have all been in on the conspiracy.

http://flydenver.com/publicart

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:36 am

narcoleptish wrote:I think the root cause of every major problem the world faces can be traced to either overpopulation, religion, greed, or cable TV.

I think the root cause of every major problem the world faces can be traced to overpopulation of the religious and greedy.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:31 am

I think the problem is the planet is not large enough. We need to colonize, say, Jupiter.

And don't read too much into murals. There's quite a few that depict justice being administered by very tall half-naked women carrying scales. Hasn't happened yet.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:50 pm

snoqueen wrote: And don't read too much into murals. There's quite a few that depict justice being administered by very tall half-naked women carrying scales. Hasn't happened yet.

Correct. Usually they're carrying a whip. :twisted:

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:07 am

World Population Trends Signal Danger Ahead

Barry Mirkin wrote:Propelled towards a world of 8 billion in little over a decade, the world continues on an unchartered trajectory. Virtually all population increase will take place in the world's poorer countries, those least able to absorb these increases. Most of the growth is occurring in countries with high fertility, especially in Africa, as well as those countries with large populations, namely India, Indonesia, Pakistan, the Philippines and the United States. One reason accounting for the large population increases is an unmet need for family planning which remains high in the poorest parts of the world. An estimated 220 million women still lack ready access to safe, effective, readily available and low-cost contraceptives.

By mid-century, according to United Nations demographers, the world will contain 9.6 billion people, some 300 million more than previously projected. The great majority of these unanticipated births resulting from higher than expected fertility will be in countries classified as least developed by the United Nations and thus the poorest in the world. Moreover, many are failed or failing states, namely those in the throes of chronic political instability and armed conflict, factors that mitigate against the provision of basic services, such as health care and family planning. This upward revision in fertility has a snowballing effect, so world population is now expected to peak in 2100 at 10.9 billion people, instead of the previously projected 10.1 billion.

...Barry Mirkin works as a consultant on population issues, having retired from the United Nations Population Division in 2009. He served the UN in the field of population and development in New York and overseas for 35 years.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:53 am

Maybe God will go see Noah and be inspired again.

Return to “Headlines”