So do the Koch Bros own Reuters now?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

So do the Koch Bros own Reuters now?

Postby snoqueen » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:18 am

http://news.yahoo.com/wisconsin-governo ... NNRTI4OF8x

That link goes to a report about Scott Walker's supposedly returning a big slug of tax money to the taxpayers. It appeared on Yahoo News sourced from Reuters, which used to be a reputable journalistic outlet.

First off, this is not national news. Governors sign budgets all the time. It's more like a press release.

Second, Governor Walker's claims about the wonderfulness of his tax measures have been challenged regularly, and not only by people on this forum. The article takes it all at face value -- again more like a press release than actual reporting.

This is not journalism. It's more cheerleading dressed up as journalism.

We know a pretty fixed (or diminishing) part of the public gets all its news from Fox. Another pretty fixed part of the public doesn't believe a word Fox says and never will.

It's voters from that sector the Rs need to attract next, since they can't win elections forever hoping the old white men contingent keeps outvoting everyone else. That's a path of diminishing returns.

The Koch-allied empire started out dumb -- look at the hash they made of the last presidential election -- but they're trying to work smarter. If I were them, the first thing I'd do is go undercover and buy a neutral-looking news outlet.

So did the Kochs -- or someone like them -- buy Reuters in an attempt to spread their gospel while looking slightly more reasonable? Maybe I missed this and it's been going on for years.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: So do the Koch Bros own Reuters now?

Postby DCB » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:26 am

The WSJ carried that tax-cut story on the front page (I guess its not online yet). But they highlighted the fact that the signing was pretty much simultaneous with his re-election campaign sending out a fund-raising email that emphasized the tax cut.

This tax cut scam sounds like a boyfriend who says "hey, I made all this money selling our furniture. Now we can afford to buy lots of drugs!"

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:59 am

Still appears to be owned by the Thompson family of Canada. No idea on their politics.

Article seems like something pulled together out of a press release. I'm a bit surprised it the WSJ has it on the front page, but not at all shocked that someone wrote up a short article for Reuters. Can't imagine it took more than an hour and Walker is a potential presidential candidate so it would get some interest. The author is a former policy intern for Barrett.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:01 pm

Which WSJ? The Wisconsin State Journal or the Wall Street Journal.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:09 pm

for some reason I just assumed Wall Street Journal. Yeah, not surprised it's front page on the Wisconsin State Journal. (it's not on the front page of the Wall Street Journal, I checked the office copy)

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:15 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Which WSJ? The Wisconsin State Journal or the Wall Street Journal.

The former.

Return to “Headlines”