Fred Phelps: dead, Dead, DEAD

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fred Phelps: dead, Dead, DEAD

Postby kurt_w » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:37 pm

Bludge is one sick puppy. If you follow his link above, he's basically complaining that the US attorney for the Southern District of Texas chose to file a hate-crimes charge against Conrad Alvin Barrett.

Barrett approached and beat an elderly black man on the street in what was obviously a racially motivated attack:

A federal prosecutor told the court that Barrett made a video of the November 24 attack.

In the video, according to a federal affidavit filed in the case, Barrett allegedly said: "The plan is to see if I were to hit a black person, would this be nationally televised?"

He then allegedly "hit the man with such force that the man immediately fell to the ground. Barrett then laughed and said 'knockout,' as he ran to his vehicle and fled."

The 79-year-old victim lost three teeth and was hospitalized for four days with surgery to repair two jaw fractures.

More:

In other videos on his phone that police confiscated, Barrett used the N-word and said that African-Americans "haven't fully experienced the blessing of evolution," according to the criminal complaint.

(source)

According to the article, Barrett's lawyers claim that he suffers from bipolar disorder and was not responsible for his actions that day. I have no idea whether that's true. If he's mentally incompetent that's an issue to raise in the trial, not a reason to excuse him from being tried.

And Bludgeon's reaction is to call Eric Holder "human garbage" for allowing one of his US attorneys to "go out of his way to find white people to convict".

I don't think Bludgeon is "human garbage" but I do think he's got some truly repulsive views.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Quite a revealing interview about Fred Phelps and the entire family from his son, Nate.

In any other situation, Fred would be regarded as the typical emotionally and physically abusive father that *should* have been locked up a long time ago. The fact that he became such a public figure... well, maybe there's a silver lining as a warning to others.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:34 pm

kurt_w wrote:Bludge is one sick puppy. If you follow his link above, he's basically complaining that the US attorney for the Southern District of Texas chose to file a hate-crimes charge against Conrad Alvin Barrett

While I am making no comment on your squabble, there are many people who would be in favor of a severe sentence for Barrett, and who also oppose hate crime laws.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Yes, Igor, I think you and I have gone back and forth about that before.

I don't actually care much one way or the other about hate crimes laws in general, though I think the claim that they're "criminalizing thoughts" is a red herring.

But the fact of the matter is that hate-crimes laws are the law of the land. I don't have a problem with anyone not approving of hate crime laws but it seems a bit over the top to call the US Attorney General "human garbage" because one of his underlings in Texas decided to prosecute a case that clearly falls under those laws.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:53 pm

kurt_w wrote:But the fact of the matter is that hate-crimes laws are the law of the land. I don't have a problem with anyone not approving of hate crime laws but it seems a bit over the top to call the US Attorney General "human garbage" because one of his underlings in Texas decided to prosecute a case that clearly falls under those laws.

The knockout game is just the tip of the ice berg, but Holder is human garbage in this instance for refusing to prioritize the vast majority of the instances of this hate crime; the "knockout game" being a "flash mob" invention, carried out almost overwhelmingly against white people, by black people. It's hypocrisy, a double standard, and it shows he doesn't care about the crime, he only cares about the color; which pretty much makes him a practicing racist.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:05 pm

And the knockout game is hyped up by the media. Do some research.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:12 pm

Stebben84 wrote:And the knockout game is intentionally under covered [fixed] by the media. Do some research.

That's right. And they also go out of their way to avoid reporting the races of the attackers and the victims, or to point out that it's a hate crime. Except the one white dude who's apparently arrested for doing the same thing, and made an example out of by the AG.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:36 pm

Bludgeon wrote:Except the one white dude who's apparently arrested for doing the same thing, and made an example out of by the AG.

No, Bludgeon. Except the one white dude who's arrested because he:

(1) Records multiple videos of himself musing about randomly attacking a black person for fun, including one in which he drives around a mall parking lot talking about how he's working up the courage to do it;

(2) Finally settles on a 79-year-old black guy as his target, bashes him in the face and sends him to the hospital for four days; and then

(3) Makes the mistake of showing the video he filmed of himself assaulting the old guy to a random (white) stranger in a bar, who calls a cop to report the crime.

It is very rare to have such indisputable, clear-cut evidence of intent in a hate-crime case. This guy freakin' videotaped himself planning the crime, explicitly stated on the video that it was about race, then videoed himself committing the crime, and then showed the videos to a stranger.

That's why this guy is being prosecuted. Get it?

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:40 pm

kurt_w wrote:That's why this guy is being prosecuted. Get it?

You would like to think so. I'd be surprised if the guy was not a ringer. Either way, the excuse that 99% of all the perpetrators are not being prosecuted because there's no evidence is garbage. Get with Holder's program - they're sticking by their policy of not policing any black on white civil crimes of any sort - this is Holder's stated policy. That's what you will eventually love him for, so why not just love him for it now? Even better, do so in the proper thread, quit stalking, and trolling.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:52 pm

Bludgeon wrote:Get with Holder's program - they're sticking by their policy of not policing any black on white civil crimes of any sort - this is Holder's stated policy.

Really? I'd be very interested in seeing a link to the exact wording of that "stated policy".

My guess it's just paranoid fantasies on some right-wing blog. But you seem certain of its truth, so please share.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:07 pm

Nice work bringIng this thread back to another 'important' notion of other [to some steeped in Atwater's methods]...
http://www.chaunceydevega.com/2013/12/f ... -this.html

I guess if this play still works, why not keep improvising?
Why not feed fear and misunderstanding?
It isn't like we have any pressing problems to resolve TOGETHER,
Right?

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:42 am

Bludgeon wrote:Even better, do so in the proper thread

I did not notice this last night. So I've moved my reply to a new thread.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:49 am

The way I see it, memorials and funerals are not so much for the dead as for the benefit of the survivors. A chance for loved ones to celebrate your life so that they can move on and accept that you're gone. I'd say virtually everyone, even a mean old bastard like Fred Phelps had people who loved him and felt great sadness and pain at the news of his death. The reason we don't celebrate the deaths of people who we dislike isn't because it's disrespectful to the dead, but because it's disrespectful to the grieving survivors.

But such disrespect was Fred Phelps' and his followers' bread and butter. It's how they got famous. They intentionally antagonized grieving families at funerals in order to get publicity for their nutty "church". In this particular case, the grieving survivors are contemptible human beings who deserve no respect because they offer none. I suspect plenty of people refuse to celebrate Phelps' death because they feel like they're stooping to his level, but I have a hard time criticizing anyone for being disrepectful to either Phelps or his followers.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:59 am

Bludgeon wrote:
kurt_w wrote:That's why this guy is being prosecuted. Get it?

You would like to think so. I'd be surprised if the guy was not a ringer.

That comment says a lot more about you than it is about him. You really think this is a set-up to make white people look bad? Man, you have issues.

Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:42 am

Return to “Headlines”