This missing plane

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Re: This missing plane

Postby kurt_w » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:13 am

sno, I'm not sure whether you're talking about actively using satellites to look for the plane on the ground/in the water after people learned it was missing ... or about looking through old imagery from the night it was flying around and trying to find it in mid-air.

I think the second one is hopeless. I assume the first one is being done. If the plane landed or went down over land somewhere, I'd bet it gets found sooner or later. But if it made a water landing somewhere out in the middle of the ocean and sank ... I dunno. There's a lot of ocean out there. It'd be one thing if the plane had gone down on or near its planned course. But if it flew 1000 km over the Indian Ocean first, in some random unexpected direction?

Earlier in this thread I mentioned the Aussies' advanced over-the-horizon radar that covers much of the ocean south of Sumatra. I still think if the plane had been on that "southern arc" from the map, the OHR would have seen it. And I think if the OHR had seen it, someone would have announced that by now.

I don't think there's any active effort to conceal or obfuscate the facts. I think it's just one of those messy things that may take a while to straighten out, or may never be solved.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:14 am

Stebben84 wrote:Unless someone can show me a reason or need for a cover up, I'll continue to post pictures of cute cats with tin foil on their head.

cute cats with tin foil on their head are always good.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:53 am

I don't agree with my younger friends who think there is a cover up or a completely fictional story being reported, just for the record. But I can see where they are coming from (their logic seems to be somebody shot the plane down by accident and for that reason is concealing facts). I don't agree, obviously, but I can see where that level of mistrust has developed in response to what we see and hear on the media every day. I think the overall line of reasoning is "Fox news lies all the time, the government is full of crazies (look at the US congress) and I don't know what to believe any more so I am skeptical of just about everything."

I do think out there some where is data, possibly not yet accessed or properly interpreted, that will bring us a lot closer to finding out what heppened to that plane. Satellite imagery of airports might be one place to look -- either in real time or retrospectively.

I believe this because every day or two, more data is surfacing and I see no reason for it to suddenly stop 3/17/2014. I am not ready to jump to the conclusion we've got another Amelia Earhart quite yet.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:22 pm

I brought up Hale Boggs in a prior post because after his plane went missing (1972) in Alaska (it still hasn't been found after all these years), conspiracy theories abound. He was a member of the Warren Commission and had strong doubts about the single bullet theory. My theory: with continued global warming, the glacier where his plane is embedded will melt and his remains will be found.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:35 pm

Oops! Malaysian authorities have changed their minds on whether the ACARS was turned off before the last verbal transmission or not.

Gosh, it's a good thing that the image of Malaysian government ineptitude is purely an ideological construct of the western press, or I'd be concerned.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:55 pm

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:23 pm

Detritus wrote:Oops! Malaysian authorities have changed their minds on whether the ACARS was turned off before the last verbal transmission or not.

Gosh, it's a good thing that the image of Malaysian government ineptitude is purely an ideological construct of the western press, or I'd be concerned.

The neocon Washington Post also calls for military action against Russia, eternal war in Afghanistan, Social Security cuts, school privatization, bank bailouts, corporate lobbyist written free-trade agreements....Be concerned about where you are looking for your information.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:49 pm

Stella_Guru wrote: The neocon Washington Post also calls for military action against Russia

link please

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:12 pm

Stella_Guru wrote:The neocon Washington Post also calls for military action against Russia, eternal war in Afghanistan, Social Security cuts, school privatization, bank bailouts, corporate lobbyist written free-trade agreements....Be concerned about where you are looking for your information.

I see they also claim that Putin has recognized Crimea as an independent state. That must be false as well, then--all part of the agitprop effort to restart the Cold War, no doubt?

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:59 am

Stella_Guru wrote:
Mad Howler wrote:The trouble is that there seems to be no official and consistent narative here.

The Malaysians are backwards, inept and too full of "national pride" say the smug seersuckers.

Trust that I am not only picking on the Malaysians.
Sadly, none of us wanted to read the memo 30 or so years ago that our 'cozy' theater was taking to the global stage. How could it not?
To my eye these global trade agreements should be instructive if-
A) We remember the results regarding the old ones.
B) We keep and eye on the new ones like TTP.
C) We recognise this has happened and happening again in secret with no regard of informed consent.

I think that Neopolian suggested that censorship of sharing of information is not required - what is required is the temporal delay of such sharing.
Obviously, as it is today, that wasn't exactly the whole story.
http://www.gutenberg-e.org/haw01/frames/fhaw03.html

Why did I plug this rant in here?
It seems oddly connected.

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:40 am

Detritus wrote:I see they also claim that Putin has recognized Crimea as an independent state. That must be false as well, then--all part of the agitprop effort to restart the Cold War, no doubt?

Well, that depends whether or not you think Bezos has a financial interest in playing nice with the CIA. (Bezos; new owner of Washington Post, founder and CEO of Amazon who recently landed a $600 million contract w/CIA)

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:26 am

Stella_Guru wrote:
Detritus wrote:I see they also claim that Putin has recognized Crimea as an independent state. That must be false as well, then--all part of the agitprop effort to restart the Cold War, no doubt?

Well, that depends whether or not you think Bezos has a financial interest in playing nice with the CIA. (Bezos; new owner of Washington Post, founder and CEO of Amazon who recently landed a $600 million contract w/CIA)

So...you're saying that Putin hasn't recognized Crimea as an independent state?

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:40 am

Time to call in Tattoo from Fantasy Island! Oh wait, he's dead...carry on....

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:49 pm

david cohen wrote:Time to call in Tattoo from Fantasy Island! Oh wait, he's dead...carry on....

He's alive and well in our hearts.
Tattoo already made one appearance in this thread, but I hope he is evoked many more times, at this point it's the best we got.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:36 pm

This is the most sane evaluation I've read yet:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh ... ical-fire/

Return to “Headlines”