Science vs. Crazy

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Science vs. Crazy

Postby wack wack » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:30 am

Surprise, surprise, Blackburn's responses were entirely consistent in showing that Republicans only understand one thing: "because MONEY."

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:27 am

Cost/benefit. According to Rep. Blackburn (R-Denial), all the benefits of reducing global warming are unclear ( there are still one or two scientists who disagree with the overwhelming consensus) but the costs are very definite ( because the bean counters in the fossil fuel industry told me so).

Blackburn praises efficiencies in energy technology. But doesn't want any government actions that would encourage greater efficiencies.

The most disingenuous argument Blackburn made was in describing the rise in CO2 concentration as "from 0.032 to 0.040" "what you realize is its very slight". As Nye points out, that's an increase of 30% - "That's an enormous change". And in fact, pre-industrial levels were more like 250 ppm.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:34 am

DCB wrote:The most disingenuous argument Blackburn made was in describing the rise in CO2 concentration as "from 0.032 to 0.040" "what you realize is its very slight". As Nye points out, that's an increase of 30%...

I didn't watch, but isn't that an increase of 25%?

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:42 am

jman111 wrote:
DCB wrote:The most disingenuous argument Blackburn made was in describing the rise in CO2 concentration as "from 0.032 to 0.040" "what you realize is its very slight". As Nye points out, that's an increase of 30%...

I didn't watch, but isn't that an increase of 25%?

Yeah. I may have heard the numbers wrong. Or maybe Nye made a mistake when he did the calculations on the spot.

ergo, there is no consensus on "division", all mathematics is suspect and we should just go with our gut.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:16 pm

Charles Pierce wrote:Yesterday, and I am not exaggerating a bit here, David Gregory and the Meet The Press gang presented the definitive argument not only for their mutual expulsion from the company of sentient primates, but also the single best example of why the entire elite political class of this country is one day going to be subject to a massive class-action negligence suit on the part of whatever rodents are left.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/T ... The_Planet

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:00 pm

Just getting around to reading this thread and only have a recent experience to share.

I went to a funeral up in Adams County a few weeks ago. My uncle new EVERYbody and the small lutheran church was a little overwhelmed by the crowd. To make a boring story short, the guy talking (minister...pastor?) seemed to take advantage of the packed house to launch (twice) into little monologues on creationism and how that's probably how everything went down.... and managed to somehow tie in my Uncle's life, and fishing, with how he was pretty sure that we didn't crawl out of the water.

From my visually sheltered spot standing in the front hall and only hearing his godly voice, I caught the eye of some like-minded cousins in the pews and we shared a look that needed no words.

On the anti-science front, there's news today that lack of funding is spelling the end of the UW's synchrotron center.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/w ... 963f4.html

Should be some interesting stuff coming up at SWAP this spring.

Return to “Headlines”