H1N1 flu outbreak

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: H1N1 flu outbreak

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:28 am

Shorty wrote:I read Flu cases are increasing in the US and it's the H1N1 strain which can be severe and kill healthy young and middle aged adults, not just elderly. H1N1 caused the last severe outbreak in 2009 which killed 12,000 Americans. I haven't gotten a shot but am considering getting one this week.

Did you get your vaccination yet?

Health officials say flu death of Wausau man highlights need to get vaccinated

Health officials say the flu death of a Wausau man highlights the need to get vaccinated.

Judy Burrows, program manager at the Marathon County Health Department, tells the Wausau Daily Herald you wouldn't expect someone that age to die from the flu. But for some reason, she says, H1N1 is affecting younger, healthy people very hard.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:09 pm

Yes I got my vaccine at Walgreen's last week. Thanks for checking. But how many flu deaths are there in WI so far, just two? The articles says the Flu is not widespread in WI now.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:14 pm

Shorty wrote:Yes I got my vaccine at Walgreen's last week. Thanks for checking. But how many flu deaths are there in WI so far, just two? The articles says the Flu is not widespread in WI now.

The CDC tracks more information than I (for one) care to know on a week-by-week basis. You can see their interactive map here; click on Wisconsin to go to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services "Surveillance of Seasonal Influenza" page.

If you're really feeling happy, check out the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (or MMWR to fanboys). That should take care of the problem.

Return to “Headlines”