H1N1 flu outbreak

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

H1N1 flu outbreak

Postby Shorty » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:26 pm

I read Flu cases are increasing in the US and it's the H1N1 strain which can be severe and kill healthy young and middle aged adults, not just elderly. H1N1 caused the last severe outbreak in 2009 which killed 12,000 Americans. I haven't gotten a shot but am considering getting one this week. How about you? I'm no expert, but if I understand these CDC sites the A (H1N1) pdm09 (pH1N1) virus (Swine flu) is the most dangerous and it is protected against by the current shot.

Deadly H1N1 Spreading Across U.S.
http://www.weather.com/health/cold-flu- ... s-20140106

http://emergency.cdc.gov/HAN/han00359.asp
"From November through December 2013, CDC has received a number of reports of severe respiratory illness among young and middle-aged adults, many of whom were infected with influenza A (H1N1) pdm09 (pH1N1) virus. Multiple pH1N1-associated hospitalizations, including many requiring intensive care unit (ICU) admission, and some fatalities have been reported. The pH1N1 virus that emerged in 2009 caused more illness in children and young adults, compared to older adults, although severe illness was seen in all age groups. While it is not possible to predict which influenza viruses will predominate during the entire 2013-14 influenza season, pH1N1 has been the predominant circulating virus so far. For the 2013-14 season, if pH1N1 virus continues to circulate widely, illness that disproportionately affects young and middle-aged adults may occur."

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/general.htm
"For the 2013-2014 influenza season, trivalent and quadrivalent inactivated influenza vaccines (IIV) are available. The trivalent IIV protects against three influenza viruses – one influenza A (H3N2) virus, one influenza A (H1N1) virus, and one influenza B virus. Quadrivalent IIV and live attenuated influenza vaccine (LAIV) protects against the same three viruses as the trivalent vaccine, but also protects against an additional influenza B virus."

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: H1N1 flu outbreak

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:25 pm

I'm not sure if it was the flu, but I got so sick two weeks ago that I didn't get out of bed for 24 hours. I actually considered quitting smoking before I realized that it might extend my miserable life.

I called in sick to work for the first time in 11 years. Yeah, that's how often I get sick. It was a doozy.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:03 pm

pjbogart wrote:I called in sick to work for the first time in 11 years. Yeah, that's how often I get sick. It was a doozy.

I'm glad you are better but only one day sick in 11 years? I take a few sick days every year. I hate coworkers who come to work sick and spread germs.

Just when I was getting up enough nerve to get the flu shot, I started to read the flu debate. Now I'm not sure if I should get a mercury free shot, or no shot at all.

Flu Vaccination: The Hidden Risks in This Heavily Promoted Seasonal Routine...
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... rcury.aspx
"Thimerosal, a widely used vaccine preservative that metabolizes to ethylmercury, contains close to 50% mercury by volume—and mercury is a well-known neurotoxin. Based on the amount of mercury in a standard flu shot, you have to weigh over 265 pounds in order for this exposure to mercury to be safe, according to EPA guidelines

The flu vaccine may pose an immediate risk to your cardiovascular system due to the fact that vaccines provoke an acute inflammatory response in the body that can become chronic in some individuals."

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Concerns/thimerosal/
"Thimerosal is a mercury-containing preservative used in some vaccines and other products since the 1930's. There is no convincing evidence of harm caused by the low doses of thimerosal in vaccines, except for minor reactions like redness and swelling at the injection site. However, in July 1999, the Public Health Service agencies, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and vaccine manufacturers agreed that thimerosal should be reduced or eliminated in vaccines as a precautionary measure."

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:22 pm

The flu shot is very safe. And not only does it reduce your likelihood of catching the flu, it will also reduce the chances of your spreading the flu to others. I'd go for it.
Last edited by kurt_w on Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:25 am

Otherwise healthy Hartland man dies from flu

Randy Seifert was an avid tennis player and in excellent health.

But the 52-year-old Hartland man did not get a flu shot to protect him from a seasonal virus that many people his age tend not to take seriously.

So it was particularly shocking for his friends and family when Seifert died Sunday from complications of the flu, 10 minutes after he was removed from a mechanical ventilator that had kept him alive since Jan. 5.

"He was a wonderful guy — very sweet and gentle — and we're all still in shock. We are going to miss him terribly," said Irene Koenigs of Stone Bank. She played keyboards in a church band with Seifert, a drummer for several bands through the years.

"The last time we saw him was Christmas Eve and we played the Barenaked Ladies' version of 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen,' which we made worshipful," Koenigs said Thursday. "Randy was the heartbeat of the congregation the last time he played. His last gig was a good one."

Local public health officials don't know how many people have died from complications of the flu this season, but Seifert was part of the hardest-hit demographic of 19- to 64-year-olds. Many who have become seriously ill are otherwise healthy but are vulnerable to this season's dominant H1N1 flu strain in part because young and middle-aged adults tend not to get flu shots.

The very small risks of the vaccine are far outweighed by the risks of the flu, to yourself and other you may spread it to.

sepvac

Postby sepvac » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:09 pm

I would urge caution in drawing conclusions from a newspaper article. There are always confounding medical issues that co-occur in cases like these.

I think the lesson learned is that there are a variety of things you can do to lower your risk of contracting an unpleasant, and often deadly, virus.

Would this person have met the same unfortunate fate with the flu shot? Nobody can make that claim truthfully.

The point is, this virus is expanding the populations that it infects in fatal ways. Getting a shot, staying home when you are symptomatic - and getting PROMPT medical attention (for the men out there, that means if you are sick enuf to miss work your doctor gets a call), keeping hydrated, and close examination of other lifestyle choices you have made are all, in combination, going to lower your risk of contracting this deadly virus.

I also can't stress enuf the need to get prompt medical intervention for serious flu symptoms!!

Cheers!

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:46 pm

pjbogart wrote:I called in sick to work for the first time in 11 years. Yeah, that's how often I get sick. It was a doozy.

Reminds me of a short story, one of Stephen King's maybe, where someone got all of life's pain administered to them over a very short period.

Maybe you're good for another 11 years.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:40 am

Michael Patrick wrote:The very small risks of the vaccine are far outweighed by the risks of the flu, to yourself and other you may spread it to.

What about the mercury debate? Do you think the preservative in flu shots is harmless, or is it better to get the preservative free shot?

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:05 pm

Shorty wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:The very small risks of the vaccine are far outweighed by the risks of the flu, to yourself and other you may spread it to.

What about the mercury debate? Do you think the preservative in flu shots is harmless, or is it better to get the preservative free shot?

Yes, safe:

Is thimerosal in vaccines safe?

Yes. There is a large body of scientific evidence on the safety of thimerosal. Data from several studies show the low doses of thimerosal in vaccines do not cause harm, and are only associated with minor local injection site reactions like redness and swelling at the injection site.

Three U.S. health agencies (The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the National Institutes of Health (NIH)) have reviewed the published research on thimerosal and found it to be a safe product to use in vaccines. Three independent organizations [The National Academy of Sciences’ Institute of Medicine, Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)] reviewed the published research and also found thimerosal to be a safe product to use in vaccines. The medical community supports the use of thimerosal in influenza vaccines to protect against potential bacterial contamination of multi-dose vials.

And if that's not good enough for you, you can get flu shots that don't have thimerosal. You just need to ask for the single-dose shot instead of a shot from a multi-dose vial.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:24 pm

Shorty wrote:What about the mercury debate?

It's actually not a debate rather a bunch of kooks like Jenny McCarthy making up bullshit.

Sometimes I think the internets has made us all stupider.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:27 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:And if that's not good enough for you, you can get flu shots that don't have thimerosal. You just need to ask for the single-dose shot instead of a shot from a multi-dose vial.

Yes I'm going to get the single-dose shot from now on without thimerosal. If thimerosal was harmless, why is the FDA trying to remove it?

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccin ... 070430.htm
FDA is continuing its efforts toward reducing or removing thimerosal from all existing vaccines.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:35 pm

The flu kills tens of thousands in the U.S. every year, yet you needlessly worry about getting the shot. That's just plain dumb.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:38 pm

Shorty wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:And if that's not good enough for you, you can get flu shots that don't have thimerosal. You just need to ask for the single-dose shot instead of a shot from a multi-dose vial.

Yes I'm going to get the single-dose shot from now on without thimerosal. If thimerosal was harmless, why is the FDA trying to remove it?

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccin ... 070430.htm
FDA is continuing its efforts toward reducing or removing thimerosal from all existing vaccines.

Maybe because they are sick and tired of answering questions about it?

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:40 pm

Shorty wrote:If thimerosal was harmless, why is the FDA trying to remove it?

Because people like you are needlessly freaking out over it, and refusing to get vaccinated. Better to waste the money removing thimerisol--even though it is not dangerous, and removing it makes the vaccines less stable and more expensive--if doing so improves the vaccination rate.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:10 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The flu kills tens of thousands in the U.S. every year, yet you needlessly worry about getting the shot. That's just plain dumb.

My main worry is whether to get the mercury free shot or not. I'm skeptical of studies done by the CDC which are probably supported by big pharmacies, like Kennedy claims:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-f- ... 94303.html

If thermisol is safe, why have Austria, Japan, Great Britain and all the Scandinavian countries banned the preservative?
http://www.naturalnews.com/011764_thime ... rcury.html

Also, you can avoid the flu without shots by washing your hands, getting sleep and exercise, avoiding hospitals, etc. I haven't gotten the shot since 2007 and I think I've only had the Flu twice since then.

Also, I've heard some doctors say it's better to get the flu occasionally and build up your immune system naturally, rather than use shots. I don't think the Flu has been a big killer in the US among healthy adults 18-65 since the 1918 outbreak, so at worst it would likely just be a couple days of sickness.
Last edited by Shorty on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Headlines”