Black Friday, Cyber Monday, or Buy Nothing Day

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Black Friday, Cyber Monday, or Buy Nothing Day

Postby Beaver » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:44 pm

It's that time again. Are you going to shop for deals on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, or celebrate Buy Nothing Day and not shop at all? I will probably give in to a little consumerism and buy a thing or two online if the sale is a big discount, but I won't spend much. No way will I fight the mobs and traffic by going to stores.

http://dealnews.com/black-friday/

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Black Friday, Cyber Monday, or Buy Nothing Day

Postby rabble » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:48 pm

I thought I did good just by promising not to shop tomorrow.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:37 pm

The internets was making a big deal about people working on Thanksgiving with a story about a strike at a Whole Foods in Chicago and a Pizza Hut in Indiana. Personally, I think it's shit that ANYONE needs to work on Thanksgiving or Christmas, but times have changed. When I was a kid nothing was open on major holidays, now there are lots of places open. If Wal-Mart is open, someone must be manning the registers, no?

I think the proper response is to tip anywhere you stop tomorrow. If you get gas at PDQ, give the clerk a fiver.

As for Black Friday, I'll spend zero dollars. I haven't planned out my Christmas gifts this year. The only one I know for sure is that my nephew is getting "Dark Souls" for Xbox so he can suffer the torture I suffered last summer.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:24 am

You know, in my family Christmas and Thanksgiving have always been movable holidays- with so many people working in health care someone always has to work- so I'm quite out of the habit of considering everything shutting down on those days to be sacrosanct.
Also there is nothing really new about places being open on Thanksgiving- though I think they used to open early and close by 2 or so. I distinctly remember going to some discount store- Prange Way maybe- 20 years or more ago on a Thanksgiving day when the meal was still cooking but under control.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:48 am

And I'll always be thankful for you healthcare people. My mom's last years were spent in a nearby assisted living facility, and the Thanksgiving dinners the staff made for us -- guests and residents together -- were some of the most enjoyable I can remember from any time in my life. It could have been really drab, but it wasn't at all. It was one of those temporary families that form and dissolve with the passage of time, but are just as valued and memorable -- maybe even more so -- than our biological ones.

Prange Way! Hadn't thought about them in years! My spell checker thinks I was trying to write Orange Way, though.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:04 am

Still, the situation has changed. I know lots of people have to work today, health care, essential services, lots of places.

But we now also have many thousands of people who want to be with their families like they always have, who can't, so that people who don't want to be with family can go out and treat them badly.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:51 am

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:04 am

The fighting and the violence are an old Yuletide tradition. The Ancient Gods demand blood, and they shall not be denied.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:28 am

Stebben84 wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/28/walmart-fight-black-friday_n_4357939.html

WTF is wrong with some people.

They are getting into the christmas spirit of course. Love and respect your fellow humans, then bash them in the face so you can buy your kid the next hot video game that they are far too young to be playing anyway.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:44 am

The first video is in Tennessee, the second one is North Carolina.

This is discrimination. Where's all the northern violence? All I can find is a few shoplifters in Chicago and New York.

Granted, one of the shoplifters ended up dragging a cop around with his car before another cop shot him, but that doesn't qualify as a good brawl in the aisles over who gets the last HDTV.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:51 am

A lot of these sales began as early as the beginning of November, and these sales will then continue. People are so f-ing stupid sometimes.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:58 am

Related article in the New Yorker.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:19 pm

I'm not shopping at all this weekend or next week. Not because I'm observing some anti-shopping holiday. I just don't do it at this time and never have.

I guess it's my fault the economy is still in the doldrums. Tough,

Return to “Headlines”