The next George Zimmerman case?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The next George Zimmerman case?

Postby rabble » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:57 pm

snoqueen wrote: sooner or later people are going to get fed up with such loose laws.

I agree, but I believe it's going to be later rather than sooner. And I keep revising my estimate of how much.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:07 pm

I think it'll be gradual but not necessarily glacial. People recognize there are some understandable reasons for having a gun, and people realize every day the bare minimum standards in effect now aren't serving us well as a society. As with numerous other hot-button issues, we'll see a variety of solutions by region. There could be a watershed event that sets things in motion, but I doubt it given the ample number of watershed events we've already had and dismissed.

At its root, as with so many other concerns, this one is distorted by the money/politics nexus. If we dismantled that, it'd be like a dam bursting. I'm not holding out for that any time soon.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:30 pm

But then again you can't always predict the transition points- The Berlin Wall came down in 1989, the USSR broke up in 1991 and both happened fast... you don't even see the liminal until you look back. Wishful thinking probably.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:32 pm

minicat wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:
minicat wrote:If only the gun nuts would only shoot other gun nuts, this problem would take care of itself eventually.

Somewhere in Dictator Hell, Hitler is sighing "if only the Jews had self-exterminated...."

Well, I was just poking at you to see how you would respond, and you called me Hitler.

Fuuuuuuuuck you.

I didn't call you Hitler, but when your "solution" to a problem involves the mass killing of large group of people" you may be setting yourself up for people to make comparisons. Don't blame the people when they do.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:36 pm

snoqueen wrote:I think the gun faction is/are doing themselves a disservice by defending any and all uses of a gun

You're doing yourself a disservice by falsely claiming "the gun faction" defends any and all uses of a gun. I probably know far more members of the "gun faction" than you and I don't know a single one who comes close to defending any and all uses of a gun. Maybe you should hang out in some gun forums and see for yourself before making such wild and unsubstantiated claims.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:27 am

I probably should have written the hardcore political gun faction, because I agree all gun owners do not take this approach.

But we both know what I'm talking about. For example, I'm referring to the forces that stopped gun law reform, even at the most basic and innocuous level, after Sandy Hook, the forces that control enough legislators that the preferences of a majority of the American public for stronger background checks at gun shows and for online gun sales were disregarded.

Last April, 90% of Democrats and 84% of Republicans supported proposed legislation to that effect. And we know how it fared:

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013 ... epublicans

The linked article paints a pretty clear picture of what happened last spring, and I suggest it is still happening in the form of public rationalization. The repeated defense for shootings like the one we're discussing here is "don't you realize it's legal?" And every time something like this happens, especially to a harmless kid, more people are turning around and saying "well, it shouldn't be."

It's the mirror image of when someone gets thrown in jail for possessing minor amounts of marijuana: "See, it's illegal." "Well, it shouldn't be."

Cracks in a dam can lead to a sudden flood of change.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:05 pm

I thought this was going to be about George's latest felony arrest.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:54 pm

Return to “Headlines”