A comparison (another gun thread)

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Re: A comparison (another gun thread)

Postby jman111 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:34 am

Sandi wrote:Yet you seem to think that a shooting maniac would not use a high capacity clip anyhow. In spite of legal or not, they can easily be made larger without much skill or finesse.

Sandi wrote:As I said above, a clip is easy to modify.

Yoohoo! Hey Sandi, now's your chance to educate me. I just may be one of those "low information" individuals against whom you railed last night:
It is hard for me to share my thoughts here day after day when you people on the left makes sport of these ideas, and rejects them out of hand simply because they are conservative ideas.
(...)
Low information is at an all time high, but only because no one really gives a crap anymore.

Please drop by to explain to me how this "clip" modification works. As it now stands, I think that you are misinformed and are passing that misinformation on here. So, please, straighten me out. You know, assure me that this is not just one of those "conservative" talking points that should get rejected out-of-hand.

Thanks a bunch!
Last edited by jman111 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:35 am

BUMPed for Sandi- I see she's back already.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:00 pm

Sandi wrote:So what don't I have a clue about?

bump

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Sandi wrote:It would be nice if we all could just be constructive.

Here's your chance.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Since jman keeps bumping this thread, thought I'd take a look at it again.

The sheer number of people killed by guns (accidentally and deliberately) is mind-boggling. Go back to page 1, scroll down through that graphic, and you'll see what I mean.

Except, one of the local trolls made the "body-count" graphic look twice as long as it actually is, by quoting the original post and leaving in the whole graphic. When you're scrolling through page after page of the body count icons, it's easy to miss the break between the original post and the troll's repetition of it.

My assumption is that the troll was mad at me for posting a comment criticizing the high number of gun deaths in the US. But ... making that number look twice as large as it actually is seems like a strange way to attack my post.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:56 pm

Obsessing over it for weeks, and yet ya didn't even TRY to google it?

*rolls eyes*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkg_oJNPXyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZr4jugj3TA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQxvCihfJNI

http://www.ehow.com/how_7708395_modify- ... zines.html

There are also videos/instructions on how to modify a magazine to hold less, in order to comply with new bans/regulations.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:26 pm

Gee, thanks Sandi.

**rolls eyes**

Do you really think that the existence of an extension kit supports the assertion that magazine capacity limits are useless? Don't you suppose that a capacity limit would account for such kits?

In the future, should I just ask you to defend Sandi's unsupported talking points?

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:43 am

jman111 wrote:Gee, thanks Sandi.

Uhmm...is that your lil' way of saying you weren't actually interested in learning more about the subject matter and instead you were simply trying to goad one particular individual?

Do you really think that the existence of an extension kit supports the assertion that magazine capacity limits are useless?

Depends what you mean by "useless"...I'm sure it'll score a LOT of political points with low-information voters...but the fact that a "kit" isn't needed in every modification (as well as 3d printers hitting the consumer marketplace, porous national borders, and other factors) tells me that your proposed ban on high-capacity magazines would be no more effective than the current ban on marijuana/cocaine/heroin.

Don't you suppose that a capacity limit would account for such kits?

Probably would. And it might even include a ban on the YouTube videos which show how to modify a magazine. And maybe even additional penalties for using a screw-driver in the commission of a crime or for carrying a modified magazine near a bus stop. After all, history has shown that fanatics can pile on all kinds of bans/limits/regulations if they have the power to do so.

But that ain't what was asked earlier. You said you think it is "spreading misinformation" for anyone to say that a magazine can be modified without much skill. You requested to be shown "how this 'clip' modification works", and I did exactly that.

If you wanna move the goal posts now, feel free to do so...but the fact remains that it has been clearly shown that magazines/clips can be easily modified to hold more rounds.

In the future, should I just ask you to defend Sandi's unsupported talking points?

*sigh*

Nevermind that first question I just asked, 'cause you just answered it. Obviously your request for more information on this issue was not made in good faith, but rather you were just trollin' Sandi and now you're pissed off that someone else bit on the hook you've been dangling for the past month.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:07 am

1- Umm, ya think?
2- I don't have a proposed ban.
3- Context matters. I suggest you look back at the conversation in which Sandi mentioned these modifications. Also, you may notice that I specifically addressed her in my requests.

*sigh*

My frustration arises out of Sandi's proclivity for responding nearly exclusively with unsupported partisan talking points (du jour). ymmv

Return to “Headlines”