Wouldn't it be great if everybody had a gun?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Wouldn't it be great if everybody had a gun?

Postby snoqueen » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:21 pm

You didn't read the pdf, I see.

My next question is this. Since the TSA has responsibility for keeping the public safe on planes, it's part of their job to ensure those carrying guns on planes have a) the appropriate training, as you acknowledge to be reasonable; ande b) the appropriate ammunition and only the appropriate ammunition.

The former would require documentation or a database cross referenced with the travelers' identities. The latter would require actually looking at the travelers' guns, opening them up, and visually verifying.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:36 pm

Now George Zimmerman's girlfriend wants to take back her story.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/09/justice/g ... ?hpt=hp_c2

I don't know if he is the luckiest or unluckiest person I know.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:29 am

I really don't want to share a crowded bus with people like this:
http://wonkette.com/536163/responsible- ... -dispenser
he set his handgun on the toilet paper dispenser, because that’s an excellent place to put a loaded weapon. It slipped from the dispenser and went off, shooting the man in the leg.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:40 am

I just want to make sure. Does a concealed carry permit have a "if you shoot yourself with your own gun you can't carry a concealed weapon anymore" clause in it anywhere?

I mean, if you do something like this you probably take a little bit of good natured ribbing from the guys at the corner diner and just go right on balancing your gun on the toilet paper whenever you pull you pants down, right?

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:29 am

rabble wrote:I just want to make sure. Does a concealed carry permit have a "if you shoot yourself with your own gun you can't carry a concealed weapon anymore" clause in it anywhere?

I mean, if you do something like this you probably take a little bit of good natured ribbing from the guys at the corner diner and just go right on balancing your gun on the toilet paper whenever you pull you pants down, right?

Of course not. Because freedom.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:33 am

Another reason I don't want guns on my bus:
A Milwaukee man who fled a Racine store on Saturday after his gun fell from his jacket and went off, was charged Monday with a negligent handling of a weapon, a misdemeanor.

Does he get to keep his gun?
He was released on a $5,000 signature bond, and ordered not to possess any weapons.

For now, anyway.

I'm sure there are some Responsible Gun Owners who are always careful. But then there is Numbnuts Jackson who gets careless and oops, gun goes off.

Or this guy:
A man accidentally shot himself with a handgun in a vehicle outside the Lowe's home improvement store here on Saturday.

To answer rabble's question -

Police did say that the incident was an accident and the man will not face any sort of charges because he was in legal possession of the firearm and he was the gun's legal owner.

If it were up to me, a "well-regulated" militia would be able to holster their weapon without hurting themselves. But can we at least keep these people off the bus?

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:29 am

Does a driver's license have a "if you cause an accident with your own vehicle you can't drive a vehicle anymore" clause in it anywhere? Sure, there are some Responsible Car Owners who are always careful. But then there is Numbnuts Jackson who gets careless and oops, vehicle hits someone. If it was up to me, a "licensed" driver would be able to maneuver their car without hurting themselves or others.

Why are these people allowed to still drive on public roads? Because freedom.

*rolls eyes*

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:55 am

penquin wrote:Does a driver's license have a "if you cause an accident with your own vehicle you can't drive a vehicle anymore" clause in it anywhere? Sure, there are some Responsible Car Owners who are always careful. But then there is Numbnuts Jackson who gets careless and oops, vehicle hits someone. If it was up to me, a "licensed" driver would be able to maneuver their car without hurting themselves or others.

*rolls eyes*

Well, if you get caught doing unusually stupid stuff with a car, you can have your license revoked. It seems reasonable to me to apply that concept to both cars and guns.

In the real world, people often manage to do remarkably stupid things with a motor vehicle and not lose their license. That seems sub-optimal, but in much of the country it's rather hard to live without driving. I understand that, but in principle I'd like to see states be more aggressive about getting reckless drivers off the road.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:00 pm

penquin wrote:Does a driver's license have a "if you cause an accident with your own vehicle you can't drive a vehicle anymore" clause in it anywhere? Sure, there are some Responsible Car Owners who are always careful. But then there is Numbnuts Jackson who gets careless and oops, vehicle hits someone. If it was up to me, a "licensed" driver would be able to maneuver their car without hurting themselves or others.

*rolls eyes*

So, does that mean we should make it as difficult to own a gun as get a driver's license? I'd be okay with that. I'd prefer just owning a gun but I'd compromise and accept that it should be as hard to get and keep a concealed carry permit as it is to get and keep a driver's license.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:33 pm

rabble wrote:So, does that mean we should make it as difficult to own a gun as get a driver's license? I'd be okay with that.

Sounds good to me. So first you have to reach a certain age, then you need to take a safety course, then you need to pass a written and practical skills test at which point you're photographed and a record is created to track your safety and possibly revoke your license if you prove incapable of following rules.

On top of that, you must get a title for your gun, pay a tax on that gun yearly, have the Firearm Identification Number of your gun recorded, carry insurance on your gun and report any transfer of your gun to a third party.

Sounds good to me.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:40 pm

I can totally understand why some folks will use my statement as a path to make it even harder for people to legally own a firearm, but actually I was wondering why isn't it as hard to lose a privilege, like driving a car, as it is to lose a basic right?

How many crimes does one have to be convicted of before having the privilege to drive revoked for the rest of that person's life? 'cause only one conviction (all felonies, and even some misdemeanors) is all it takes to lose the right to bear arms, for life. And why do ya'll pretty much ignore any accidents that happen via vehicles, but highlight any & all accidents that involve firearms?

That aside, we should make it as difficult to own a gun as it is to register & cast a vote....and vice-versa. While some safeguards are obviously needed, both are basic rights and both should be respected as such.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 pm

pjbogart wrote:Sounds good to me.

Of course you would think so. You're totally fucking psychotic when it comes to this issue (in general?). I still can't beleive nobody else called you out for your vile & disgusting comments earlier.

So first you have to reach a certain age, then you need to take a safety course, then you need to pass a written and practical skills test at which point you're photographed and a record is created to track your safety and possibly revoke your license if you prove incapable of following rules.

Is that every time you cast a vote, or just the first time you register? Should someone be required to do all that before starting a blog, or changing churches, or singing in the Capitol?

On top of that, you must get a title for your gun, pay a tax on that gun yearly, have the Firearm Identification Number of your gun recorded, carry insurance on your gun and report any transfer of your gun to a third party.

Jim Crow is smiling at you right now.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:53 pm

penquin wrote:That aside, we should make it as difficult to own a gun as it is to register & cast a vote....and vice-versa. While some safeguards are obviously needed, both are basic rights and both should be respected as such.

Democracy cannot exist without the vote, it's pretty much part of the definition.

Despite the protestations of the NRA and its supporters, they same cannot be said about firearms. Maybe it was true at some point in history, but not now.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:57 pm

And you have to renew your license every five years.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:06 pm

*rolls eyes*

Yes, actually a driver's license does have a clause that it can be revoked for causing accidents.

Return to “Headlines”