The Cannabis Thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Cannabis Thread

Postby rabble » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:56 pm

You've been authorized for medical marijuana in a medical marijuana state.

So the state takes your six-month old child because the house has pot in it and is therefore a dangerous place.

There's also an ex-husband and a child custody dispute involving another child in there which is what started the whole thing but the state's line is that the child was in danger so they took her away and she's living with her grandmother.

There's still a few devils in the details.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:13 pm

“They were worried about the possibility of break-ins, armed robbery that kind of thing,” mother Green explains. “He (the referee) put that out as a possibility and that warranted immediate danger for the child.”

So, if your home contains anything that might be desired by criminals (money, gold, fancy electronics...), it is therefore unsafe for children. That argument seems rather doobious.

Is DHS mandating forced sterilization for anyone practicing conspicuous consumption?

"The safety and the well-being of the child is paramount for any of our investigators when they are doing their job.”

No doubt taking the child away from its parents will do wonders for this child's well-being.

More proof that drug laws make you crazy.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:14 am

rabble wrote:I looked for a good place for this and couldn't find one. Since I'm starting a new thread, why not hold with the trend?

Marijuana stops child's severe seizures...

I'm all for legalizing pot but once it's legal I won't mind admitting that 90% of our wild claims about miraculous medical benefits were bullshit. I'm more for just having it be legal because there's nothing wrong with getting high.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:45 am

Bludgeon wrote:
rabble wrote:I looked for a good place for this and couldn't find one. Since I'm starting a new thread, why not hold with the trend?

Marijuana stops child's severe seizures...

I'm all for legalizing pot but once it's legal I won't mind admitting that 90% of our wild claims about miraculous medical benefits were bullshit. I'm more for just having it be legal because there's nothing wrong with getting high.

You're saying the kid's seizures haven't really stopped?
Last edited by rabble on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:50 am

Bludgeon wrote:I'm all for legalizing pot but once it's legal I won't mind admitting that 90% of our wild claims about miraculous medical benefits were bullshit. I'm more for just having it be legal because there's nothing wrong with getting high.

You can't "admit" something that is a lie. Unless you have actual evidence that fully 90% of claims are bullshit?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:07 am

wack wack wrote:
Bludgeon wrote:I'm all for legalizing pot but once it's legal I won't mind admitting that 90% of our wild claims about miraculous medical benefits were bullshit. I'm more for just having it be legal because there's nothing wrong with getting high.

You can't "admit" something that is a lie. Unless you have actual evidence that fully 90% of claims are bullshit?

That would be a surprise since almost all the research done has been with the intent to prove the detrimental effects and the US actively prevents any research into medical benefits.

The Israelis have a pretty good medical pot database, though. Maybe they could admit it.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:07 am

I like the cartoon so I'm posting the link to the video.

Anybody know if it's possible to embed a flash video in this thing?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:01 am

A lot of us have flash disabled due to security questions.

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:50 pm

I agree with you that pot should be legal for both medical and recreational use because ... well, duh.

But I find it amusing that you have such a hard time believing that a plant could have wide-ranging medicinal properties. The Chinese had this figured out thousands of years ago. You know what aspirin is made from? Fucking willow bark. You know how many medicinal properties we're still discovering on that age-old remedy? Ask the folks at Bayer if they they've concluded researching acetacylic acid.

25% of Western pharmaceuticals are derived from active ingredients found ... you guessed it ... in plants native to the Amazon rainforest. And those 25% are derived having researched only 1% of available species.

So while I'm happy we're on the same page for whatever reason, Bludgeon, I'd put money on your having it backwards. If nothing else, let's lift the restrictions on researching the stuff. My guess is we find far more clinical uses for pot than we rule out, and maybe even find it's better for some conditions than those compounds we're currently raping the rainforest to collect.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:02 pm

I feel bad about disproving Bludgie once again, but it just has to be done.

Five things about pot:
1. There are indications that it not only doesn't cause cancer, but prevents it.

2. It doesn't kill brain cells, it grows them.

3. Suicide rates are lower in areas where medical marijuana is available.

4. There is zero evidence that marijuana causes significant lung damage.

And this one, which is nice to know but isn't really an argument for or against legalizing pot:
5. There are two completely different types of marijuana, both with different effects on the user.
Daytime pot and nighttime pot. Huh.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:48 pm

Uruguay Will Sell Legal Marijuana For $1 Per Gram, Official Says

He says the idea isn't to make money, but to wrench the market away from illegal dealers. Calzada said in August that the price would be around $2.5 per gram.

That's a pretty smart move. The only problem is that you're going to create a bunch of addicts. :roll:

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:18 pm

I wonder if over time, we might find mass murders less common where cannabis is legal.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:24 pm

As a counterpoint, look up the derivation of the word assassin.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:25 pm

rabble wrote:I feel bad about disproving Bludgie once again, but it just has to be done.

Five things about pot:

An article with all that science, and then they include lines like this:

"Sativas are usually day-time strains, used to enhance the experience of social events, time in nature or listening to new music. "

"Although sativas produce an enjoyable effect, they usually are the culprit for an inexperienced user "tweaking out" during one of their first times smoking."

Advice to pot advocates - find someone that does not smoke pot to write your copy.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:44 pm

Igor wrote:
rabble wrote:I feel bad about disproving Bludgie once again, but it just has to be done.

Five things about pot:

An article with all that science, and then they include lines like this:

"Sativas are usually day-time strains, used to enhance the experience of social events, time in nature or listening to new music. "

"Although sativas produce an enjoyable effect, they usually are the culprit for an inexperienced user "tweaking out" during one of their first times smoking."

Advice to pot advocates - find someone that does not smoke pot to write your copy.

Yep. If only he'd been satisfied with four. But nooooooo.

Return to “Headlines”