The Cannabis Thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Cannabis Thread

Postby DCB » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:44 pm

What about this?
“The first day of legalization, that’s when Colorado experienced 37 deaths that day from overdose on marijuana,” Pristoop testified at Tuesday’s Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee hearing. “I remember the first day it was decriminalized there were 37 deaths.”

Yes, I'm sure he remembers it well.
Indeed, Pristoop was apparently referring to a story by the satirical website DailyCurrant.com,

The war on drugs makes you stupid and forgetful. It ruins your reading comprehension.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:47 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Walker doesn't have a clue.

It pains me to point it out, but neither does Mary Burke and most of the Democratic WI State Legislature who are not supporting real jobs, tax revenue, and tax savings that could be created by simply allowing marijuana (medical or outright decrim) in this state.

If Burke and the Dems really wanted to show a difference between them and the Walker/GOP all they have to do is simply embrace what a growing majority of WI residents already know and support.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:59 pm

With the polarization of politcs in Wisconsin, Burke only has to worry about attracting the independent vote. Are independents in the Badger State mainly pro or anti pot?

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:20 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:With the polarization of politcs in Wisconsin, Burke only has to worry about attracting the independent vote. Are independents in the Badger State mainly pro or anti pot?

I don't think you need to necessarily be pro or anti pot, but able to look at the facts, history, medical studies, benefits and potential problems in states that have allowed it. I would think most independents are capable of that. I even know a few libertarian leaning Republicans that might change their mind over this one issue.

I am just baffled at the opportunity Dems have right now to use the marijuana issue to their advantage, yet are failing miserably. What are they afraid of? Offering an actual alternative to mining jobs? Bringing in millions of new tax revenue $$$ and giving a portion to the schools (like CO is doing)?

I will admit I am a one issue voter, but this is the Cannabis thread.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:38 pm

eriedasch wrote:I am just baffled at the opportunity Dems have right now to use the marijuana issue to their advantage, yet are failing miserably. What are they afraid of? Offering an actual alternative to mining jobs? Bringing in millions of new tax revenue $$$ and giving a portion to the schools (like CO is doing)?

My first guess is that they've been pummeled and browbeaten for so long that they don't trust their own instincts any more and it'll take a shift at the polls to get them motivated.

But maybe I'm just jaded.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:22 pm

The governor of CO says other states should wait and see first. I don't know why he said that but he probably has reasons and we should find out what they are.

Wino
Forum Addict

Postby Wino » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:13 pm

Today the Assembly Committee on Children and Families approved AB726 relating to allowing CBD's to be used for seizure disorders.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:00 pm

Wino wrote:Today the Assembly Committee on Children and Families approved AB726 relating to allowing CBD's to be used for seizure disorders.

I'm torn on this. Sure it's a tiny hairline step in the right direction, but how many states have now allowed medical mj? 20? And have there been any serious problems? MI has been for a few years and last year IL signed a very weak bill. Pretty soon we'll be surrounded. Christie signed an even weaker bill in NJ, but at least they all cover marijuana as a whole and many of the ailments, diseases, etc. it is known to treat.

I just don't see the point of wasting time on such a limited bill. CBD's are only a portion of the marijuana plant and many use the entire plant for other real (non-seizure) medical needs like cancer, glaucoma and PTSD. Not to mention I understand this bill is being pushed by drug companies who will monopolize, overcharge, do all production, and take all profits out of state.

Real marijuana on the other hand could be grown by small businesses, produce jobs and revenue here in WI.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:55 am

As Colorado Loosened Its Marijuana Laws, Underage Consumption And Traffic Fatalities Fell

Survey data released last week by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) indicate that marijuana use among high school students continues to decline, despite warnings that legalization would make pot more appealing to teenagers.

A quick look at the graphs makes me think that the traffic fatalities is more like "statistically unchanged" since it went up by seven deaths since legalization but still, we were told there would be mass death on the highways, scores of teenagers would turn to zombies, and everyone would eat cheetos and forget to go to work.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:08 pm

All I have to say is every time this thread makes it to the top I want to smoke a joint. Or even a big bong hit...

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:40 pm

Well, here's another excuse, Mad.
In States With Medical Marijuana, Painkiller Deaths Drop by 25%
“The difference is quite striking,” said study co-author Colleen Barry, a health policy researcher at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore. The shift showed up quite quickly and become visible the year after medical marijuana was accepted in each state, she told Newsweek.

And then ya gotta go out there and find an opposing view.
Not so fast, said Dr. Andrew Kolodny, chief medical officer at Phoenix House, a national nonprofit addiction treatment agency. He said that the immediate reduction in overdose deaths is extremely unlikely to be due to the substitute use of the herb, for one simple reason: Marijuana isn’t widely prescribed for chronic pain.

No word on whether marijuana might be prescribed, to the same person, for something other than chronic pain.
But I like the rest of his argument.
States that pass progressive laws to treat addiction may be more likely to lower their rates of overdose deaths; for political reasons these states may also be more likely to legalize medical marijuana.

States that pass medical pot laws also just happen to be better at preventing painkiller overdoses. This shows up in the stats right after the medical pot laws kick in.

I'm not clear on what is meant by "for political reasons these states may also be more likely to legalize medical marijuana" though. What political reasons are we talking about? Are they the same ones that cause fewer fatal ODs?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:50 pm

"For political reasons" might mean the people actually want legalized marijuana and will vote for candidates who say they'll help bring it about?

Like, real political pressure instead of the ginned-up "money is speech and corporations are people" kind?

How quaint.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:44 pm

There is some good news from Tuesday's election in other parts of the nation:

Majorities in Oregon, Alaska, and Washington DC vote for full legalization!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/0 ... 13826.html

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/04/politics/ ... index.html

Meanwhile here in WI, we could not even get the Dem candidate for Gov to do much more than reluctantly give weak support for medical marijuana. I don't necessarily blame Ms. Burke for this, but I do wish the Dem Party of WI would get their heads out of their asses and realize a strong position on marijuana will bring enthusiasm and votes for a very popular issue with few negatives. Especially when the Repulican opponent has a complete opposite view. Seriously, how can you argue against providing medicine for sick and dying children? Unfortunately Walker was never given a chance.

Isthmus' Alan Talga seems to agree:

The underdog in a race shouldn't play it safe. Burke's campaign only supported medical marijuana. That's the milquetoast answer, like when Dems only supported civil unions a decade ago. You want independents and the apathetic? Support full legalization. Democrats hated Walker so much in this race Burke's campaign didn't have to worry about losing them by supporting some unconventional policies.

Both of these issues are popular with many Wisconsin voters. For Democrats, their issues are not the problem; it is their messaging and their messengers.

Marijuana legalization could have started a discussion on Wisconsin's ridiculous incarceration rates. The Democrats needed Milwaukee to turn out huge to win. President Barack Obama stopping in for an hour was nice, but Wisconsin has crazy racial incarceration disparities -- the worst in the nation -- that went ignored again this election.

From this article: http://www.isthmus.com/daily/article.php?article=43924

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:45 pm

This has been annoying me all morning. From a CNN report on a recent study:
Researchers also found increased brain connectivity in chronic users. Connectivity, when different parts of the brain connect to each other, is important for adaptive learning abilities. It also helps your mind make associations. This wiring of the brain starts to deteriorate with chronic marijuana use.

"Too much or too little of anything isn't good. There needs to be an equal balance," said Filbey.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/10/health/po ... ?hpt=hp_t2

You know what else increases brain connectivity? Reading!
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the ... d-function

Don't read, kids! You'll wear out your brains!

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:48 pm

Ninja wrote:This has been annoying me all morning. From a CNN report on a recent study:
Researchers also found increased brain connectivity in chronic users. Connectivity, when different parts of the brain connect to each other, is important for adaptive learning abilities. It also helps your mind make associations. This wiring of the brain starts to deteriorate with chronic marijuana use.

"Too much or too little of anything isn't good. There needs to be an equal balance," said Filbey.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/10/health/po ... ?hpt=hp_t2

I believe this quote from my CO activist friend Mason Tvert puts their study in perspective:
"Once again, researchers have failed to find any conclusive evidence that marijuana use causes mental health problems. The researchers note their findings are nonconclusive, that they might be skewed by other factors, and that effects, if any, could be temporary, Tvert said. "The study doesn't justify keeping marijuana illegal, nor does it say anything about making it legal. There remains no doubt that marijuana is far less harmful than alcohol to the brain and to the rest of the body. The possibility that marijuana might have some harm for some people -- but might not -- is not a good reason to keep arresting and punishing hundreds of thousands of adults simply for using it."

And this:
The National Institute on Drug Abuse helped fund the study.

From what I understand, they don't look very favorably on marijuana.

Return to “Headlines”