The Cannabis Thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Cannabis Thread

Postby rabble » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:15 pm

rabble wrote:You've been authorized for medical marijuana in a medical marijuana state.

So the state takes your six-month old child because the house has pot in it and is therefore a dangerous place.

Bree is back with her parents.
The Greens had been scheduled for a jury trial Monday, but this week their luck turned. Ingham County Probate Judge Richard Garcia, at an evidentiary hearing Wednesday, voiced doubts about the actions of social workers and their allegations on a Child Protective Services petition. That led Garcia to call for a special hearing Friday. That's when the couple heard the words they longed to hear — that Baby Bree would come back to her mother and father.

Not quite enough detail to know whether it was thrown out on a technicality or if it set a precedent that will protect other families in the same situation. I would hope the local governments will at least think twice about it next time.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:05 pm

Rumor has it that the DNC is telling local/state Democratic Party members to not do anything in regards to Medical Marijuana because they want to use it as an issue to "get out the vote" in 2016.

On one hand, kudos to the nat'l Dems for finally (kinda) coming around on this issue, but on the other hand then can fuck off for playing politics while people are suffering and dying.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:38 pm

rabble wrote:
Igor wrote:As a (presumably) controlled substance, there will also be costs - I'm guessing something similar to alcohol. And given that pot is a lot easier to produce than alcohol or cigarettes, I still feel that only 10-30% of the pot produced will get taxed.

Maybe. Especially at first. That would be fine with me.

Hell, just plugging that damned "war on pot" money hole would be what, a few billion a year?

We won't know till next year but right now it looks like it might start generating income sooner than I thought.
It's impossible to say precisely how much revenue the pot taxes will produce. A projection prepared for Colorado voters predicted pot taxes would bring in almost $70 million a year. Of that, $27.5 million would go to school construction, as specified in last year's ballot measure that legalized the drug.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Even the Koch brothers are pro legalization.

It's part of their libertarian beliefs. I wonder what they think about gay marriage.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:17 pm

Igor wrote:I don't really have a problem with pot legalization, but I also don't buy the "taxing pot will fix the budget" argument either.

It won't "fix" the budget, but you'd be in the distinct minority if you don't think it would help. Bruce Barltett addresses this in an article here, going so far as to say:

“virtually every economist” favors legalizing marijuana and probably most hard drugs.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:35 pm

One interesting question is to what extent legalized cannabis will displace use of other drugs, both legal (alcohol) and non-legal.

If people to some degree substitute pot for booze, the public-health situation would probably be somewhat better, but the budgetary impact would depend on the relative rate at which pot vs. booze is taxed.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:47 pm

Along with some people in Colorado, I am concerned with quality control and the purity of cannabis in such a rapidly expanding market.

Growers are known to spray all sorts of pesticides on the plants, for example. What happens when the user smokes those sprayed leaves and buds? There's another public health issue.

This will be an area of ongoing developments, and will suffer the same tribulations as any other market undergoing rapid change. How many people pretty much avoid food products from China at this time, waiting for them to get a better grip on their processing and inspection?

Certified organic is going to be a prized designation here, and we can expect organic growers to come up with a meaningful set of standards and some kind of labeling in the short term, just as with other agricultural produce.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:03 pm

snoqueen wrote:Growers are known to spray all sorts of pesticides on the plants, for example. What happens when the user smokes those sprayed leaves and buds? There's another public health issue.

Legal growers are under such a microscope and make such an issue of proper cultivation that I have trouble believing any of them would even think about it. The consequences of getting caught are way too high.

The illegal growers have been doing that for some time and I suspect it will get worse as they try to keep costs down and yields high so they can undercut the legals.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:21 pm

From what I've heard you have to grow indoors and a security camera on the facility is required among other regulations. Even with that, I don't know anyone who has ever sprayed pesticides on plants. I don't think there is a need. Here are the regulations:

Over 60 pages

I think the most interesting thing is how this is going to affect neighboring states. I think the flow in and out is going to be huge and I wonder if other states are going to want a piece of the action. Look at how many people will now visit Colorado, increase tourism dollars and the taxes associated with purchasing weed.

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:36 pm

snoqueen wrote:Certified organic is going to be a prized designation here, and we can expect organic growers to come up with a meaningful set of standards and some kind of labeling in the short term, just as with other agricultural produce.

When Phillip Morris decides to jump in, the organic standards will be diluted by their puppets at the USDA, just like they have been for produce. The rules will be changed to tolerate a range of agri-business practices from absentee ownership, monoculture, to lack of testing for organic pesticide residue (much of it harmful to humans and the environment) in the final product. What you are taking for granted with the Certified Organic label is gone. The Feds have lowered the bar.

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:43 pm

Stebben84 wrote: I don't know anyone who has ever sprayed pesticides on plants. I don't think there is a need.

You are correct, insect pests are not much of an issue with pot plants, but fungus and mold is, especially on those big sticky buds. Fungicides, both synthetic and organic such as copper sulfate, are toxic to humans.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:48 pm

Stella's right. The regulations will be relaxed, especially the indoor growing stipulation. That will actually be fairly easy since it's extremely energy intensive to grow it indoors. Then they'll concentrate on chems.

I don't think they'll be able to stop homegrowing, though.

I can't find the article now but one I read recently on growing your own had two out of three professional growers emphatically say "never ever get cuttings, always seeds, because cuttings always have bugs no matter where you get them."

Aphids were a problem to the homegrowers I knew, thirty years ago or so.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:25 pm

There is not much point in reading recent columns by Brooks (NYT) and Marcus (WaPo). Suffice it to say, the self-styled morality police do not approve of you kids smoking that weed that they used to smoke.

Apparently these two deep thinkers wrote entire columns about the legalization of marijuana while completely ignoring the social costs incurred by the War on Drugs. Maybe somebody should point out that if you're defending the status quo, you're endorsing a racially-biased police state.

Pierce wrote:Marcus then goes blithely on explaining, in some detail, why everything she is about to write in her column is three degrees of bullshit removed from the opening credits of Reefer Madness.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/r ... mns-010314

Goldberg wrote:When it comes to marijuana legalization, then, the pertinent question is not whether smoking lots of pot is good for you. It’s whether we should be arresting minorities en masse for using a substance that many if not most of our elites—even Brooks!—have at one time or another enjoyed with impunity.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/177769/david-brooks-drugs

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2014/ ... dness.html

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:09 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Even the Koch brothers are pro legalization.

It's part of their libertarian beliefs. I wonder what they think about gay marriage.

Search found 88 matches: Koch

Henry Vilas has referenced the Koch's 88 times in these forums but has no idea David Koch supports gay marriage.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:16 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Even the Koch brothers are pro legalization.

Search found 88 matches: Koch

Henry Vilas has referenced the Koch's 88 times in these forums but has no idea David Koch supports gay marriage.

Do you also support gay marriage? So far you have only posted about what you are against.

Return to “Headlines”