The Cannabis Thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

The Cannabis Thread

Postby rabble » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:56 pm

I looked for a good place for this and couldn't find one. Since I'm starting a new thread, why not hold with the trend?

Marijuana stops child's severe seizures

Charlotte was diagnosed with Dravet when she was two. When she was five the doctors gave up. By then she "had lost the ability to walk, talk and eat. She was having 300 grand mal seizures a week."

Her father found out about a strain of pot low in THC , high in cannabidiol, or CBD, that had helped others. Charlotte was so young no one would prescribe it but they finally found a doctor, who found some of the right weed, distilled it to oil, and Charlotte's seizures stopped. One seizure a day, usually at night, and she's getting better.

I didn't think even the lame stream media would print a story like this. Maybe some things are changing.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Cannabis Thread

Postby bdog » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:09 am

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:09 am

Children are dying because the government and bdog have the same attitude towards medical pot.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:39 am

Saw an article about that a kid a few months ago (not in the main stream media). I was actually stunned to see it on CNN at the top of the page yesterday. Hopefully it gets a lot of coverage and other similar stories start getting covered as well.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:36 am

Because of that story it appears that CNN medical corespondent Sanjay Gupta has reversed his stance on medical marijuana.

Sanjay Gupta Reverses On Marijuana: ‘We Have Been Terribly And Systematically Misled’

I really do think the tides are turning. The more this type of discourse is shown on traditional media outlets, the more people will start to realize this has been an asinine drug to criminalize. For every silly reference to a pot movie, there are real stories of people whose suffering has subsided because of it's medical use.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:59 am

from the link:

“I didn’t look far enough. I didn’t review papers from smaller labs in other countries doing some remarkable research, and I was too dismissive of the loud chorus of legitimate patients whose symptoms improved on cannabis.”

This (along with Gupta's statement he was misled by trusting the DEA) is the takeaway point. The US is no longer in the forefront of research in so many areas, this being only one. Our research is obviously skewed by its funding sources. Nobody with big money was foreseeing a profit in the finding that marijuana was innocuous or useful, so nobody was willing to fund any studies.

Add to that the conservative notion anything out of their own comfort zone is evil, and you've got a wall of stubbornness that takes a lot of work to dismantle. Their second mistake is ignoring legitimate patients with legitimate stories showing they benefited from marijuana (like the little girl with seizures).

Sure, the conservatives get to claim "it's only anecdotal" but after a while, anecdotes pile up and somebody's got to give them a fair assessment. Sometimes they won't amount to anything, but sometimes they do.

I believe this is not only about marijuana (although that's the focal point, and deservedly) but about a number of other alternative treatments. Europe is way ahead of the US in this matter, and theirs is a scientific-minded culture not one of superstition. I have written before on the forum about how I myself benefited from acupuncture. There are other "fringe" remedies out there to investigate and try with an open mind. Nobody's advocating throwing the medical baby out with the bathwater, but the rule "can't hurt, might help" is a better one than "we don't know why this might be helpful, so we claim it isn't and we want to stop anybody from trying it."

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:10 am

snoqueen wrote:Nobody's advocating throwing the medical baby out with the bathwater, but the rule "can't hurt, might help" is a better one than "we don't know why this might be helpful, so we claim it isn't and we want to stop anybody from trying it."

Our insurance setup is another matter.

Since its main goal is to increase profit by denying treatment, they aren't looking for evidence that it might help; they're looking for reasons to avoid paying.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:19 am

Good point.

I guess I'd add the main goal is either to avoid paying or to pay some wildly-inflated price negotiated with a drug or devices supplier and pass the cost right on through to the consumer or the government.

All of which is hard to do if the drug in question can be grown in your yard or your basement.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:01 am

Last week Gov Quinn signed a bill to make IL the 20th US state to allow medical marijuana.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... a/2609371/

Meanwhile WI still spends twice as much as neighboring states to put people in jails and prisons for marijuana and other low level drug offenses.

And while it takes a good 3-4 DUI's to end up in prison in WI, a simple 2nd offense pot possession (any amount for your entire life) can get you a felony and 3+ years in a WI prison.

Come to a NORML meeting and help us spread awareness and change laws in WI!

Next meeting is Monday 8/12, 7p
Wil Mar Center 953 Jenifer St.
Madison, WI 53703

http://www.madisonnorml.org/

baked goods

Postby baked goods » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:34 am

Smoking weed around your kids is not a good idea. Why would you get high around your kids instead of doing something constructive like reading them a book or Legos? Is this the new in thing east side single mothers are doing and then justifying it by repeating pseudo science platitudes that what they are really doing is medicating themselves?

Archipants
Forum Addict

Postby Archipants » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:43 am

baked goods wrote:Smoking weed around your kids is not a good idea. Why would you get high around your kids instead of doing something constructive like reading them a book or Legos? Is this the new in thing east side single mothers are doing and then justifying it by repeating pseudo science platitudes that what they are really doing is medicating themselves?

Zero. Reading. Comprehension.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:53 pm

snoqueen wrote:This (along with Gupta's statement he was misled by trusting the DEA) is the takeaway point.

The 'legalize it!' and 'medical MJ' are distinct issues. You could, in a rational world, approve of one but not the other. But you can't have a serious discussion of the 'medical MJ' issue if your anti-legalization arguments are just completely bullshit.

I came across an article from 2003 about a presentation by the Office of National Drug Control Policy. It was a big propaganda piece called "Marijuana and Kids".

Yes, the Office of National Drug Control Policy had lots of statistics. The only problem was their stats kept contradicting their other stats, but they kept repeating them just the same.

And 20 minutes later, the head of the local youth-marijuana task force stated from the audience, "For everyone who believes marijuana is 'Haight/Ashbury, go to the beach and listen to folk music,' I think the statistics will show that now it's 'toke up and go rob a liquor store.'"

We've known that marijuana should be decriminalized since at least the Nixon administration. But that's only in reality-world. In government-propaganda-world, pot is the worst drug evah!

And so, some sick people continue to suffer needlessly.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:25 pm

I gotta say, when Gupta figures he made a mistake he doesn't try to keep it quiet.
Sanjay Gupta Apologizes For 'Misleading' Public About Weed

The guy's got a documentary on weed coming up this Sunday. He don't fool around.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:28 pm

rabble wrote:I gotta say, when Gupta figures he made a mistake he doesn't try to keep it quiet.
Sanjay Gupta Apologizes For 'Misleading' Public About Weed

The guy's got a documentary on weed coming up this Sunday. He don't fool around.

The fact that CNN seems to be letting him run with it either speaks to the guy's clout or some real change on the part of the main stream media. Probably both.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:34 pm

Gupta is just one of many who finally woke up and looked at the facts. The states going medical are starting to topple like dominos. Actually IL is #21. New Hampshire was #20 just a week or two prior, which now makes all of New England legal for medicine. DC is talking about full legalization and Vermont decriminalized earlier this summer. In addition, Uruguay legalized pot just a few days ago.

And while not specifically a pot issue, possibly most important was this:

Senator Patrick Leahy, chair of the Appropriations Committee, blocked
release of $95 million dollars in funding for the Merida Initiative, citing
the lack of a clear strategy on the part of the U.S. State Department and
the Mexican government.
http://www.cipamericas.org/archives/10223

Unfortunately WI is unwilling to change a damn thing. Time to put pressure on our elected officials. I know I am preaching to the choir here, but if you want to get technical about it, Julie Lassa D-Steven's Point was the one Democrat that sided with Republicans a few short years ago to block the WI MedicalMJ bill the last time it had a real chance of passing the WI Legislature and being signed by then Gov Doyle.

Sure would be nice to see some Dem Gov potentials actually add MJ to their platform and simply show stats on how it can create jobs. Barrett weakly supported MJ when asked about it during the campaign - and lost. Baldwin, a strong supporter of marijuana reform has supported the cause her entire career. In this day I think supporting this issue can increase your chances of being elected.

Yes the tide is finally turning, but it did not just happen overnight.

Return to “Headlines”