Pope Francis keeps talking social justice

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pope Francis keeps talking social justice

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:49 am

Pope Francis condemned the inequities of modern capitalism and the theory of trickle down economics. I wonder how conservative Catholics, from Paul Ryan to our own Ned Flanders, would respond to the pope's charges.

sylvie
Forum Addict

Postby sylvie » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:44 am

In the 80's,the death squads' favorite targets were clergy who spoke of social justice.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:14 pm

Rush Limbo says New Pope sounds like a Marxist. I have to agree. But then I've always thought that Hippie Jesus was a pinko.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:19 am

Pope Francis' exact words:
Some people continue to defend trickle-down theories which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and inclusiveness in the world. This opinion, which has never been confirmed by the facts, expresses a crude and naive trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power and in the sacralised workings of the prevailing economic system. Meanwhile, the excluded are still waiting.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:43 pm

Y'know, when the Pope sells off the Vatican's vast collection of art and jewels and uses the proceeds to feed the poor, then maybe I'll give a shit what he has to say about economic inequality.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:24 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Y'know, when the Pope sells off the Vatican's vast collection of art and jewels and uses the proceeds to feed the poor, then maybe I'll give a shit what he has to say about economic inequality.

I assume you think the Kennedy family can go fuck itself too?

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Y'know, when the Pope sells off the Vatican's vast collection of art and jewels and uses the proceeds to feed the poor, then maybe I'll give a shit what he has to say about economic inequality.

He made a German bishop do pretty much just that, didn't he? Perhaps it's just a matter of time.

It's early, and he doesn't have to worry about primaries or re-election. He's becoming a tremendous voice for social justice, it might be worth it to hear him out despite the hypocrisy he stands before.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:26 pm

I suggest that it is not you or I he's attempting to sway with his words. It's all those rich Catholics who for some reason want to impress their religious views on the general population.

Granted, there are fewer Catholics doing that than Protestants but anything that can be thrown into the mix that might slow them down is okay by me.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:46 pm

I think Wagstaff is being excessively grumpy here. The change from Benedict to Francis is a pretty massive about-face for the Vatican. That's a good thing.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:51 pm

Conservatives are understandably upset about the pope's economic heresy.
The folks at DailyKos summarize it:
Pronouncement I like? Infallible! Pronouncement I don't like? Eh, not in the Pope's wheelhouse. Because, you know, things like policy toward women is a moral issue while policy toward the poor is an economic issue.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:11 pm

Finding something unjust to speak about is easy.
Speaking of injustice from the Pontiff's purchase is something to behold.
Again, I find the Pontiff's words very important to our moment.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:52 pm

kurt_w wrote:I think Wagstaff is being excessively grumpy here.
Yep, I always get grumpy when people heap praise on the leader of (at least) a century-long criminal conspiracy. I'll be less grumpy the day The Church owns up to the systematic molestation of children and the ongoing coverup. That means more than just paying lip-service to morality and actually turning over all the guilty parties to the law for appropriate punishment and making restitution to the thousands of people whose lives have been irrevocably damaged by this insidious institution. Until then, I have no interest in The Pope trying to tell others what they should or shouldn't do.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:46 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I always get grumpy when people heap praise on the leader of (at least) a century-long criminal conspiracy. I'll be less grumpy the day The Church owns up to the systematic molestation of children and the ongoing coverup.

Yep, this is a very important issue. Others agree-
http://ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/fr ... -sex-abuse
What I find curious is the reactions of flacks of Murdoch's crew and and other wings of our plutocratically controlled meduh choose not to go to this place of ridicule first.
They first seem slack jawed over questions of money and the power of this church, cause of money.
They overlook the power of people's collective conscience.
Or do they?
Eitherway, thank you Prof. Wags' for keeping a light on this bitter injustice.
I am humbled and irritated by an institution that has kept the 'lights on' for so many centuries.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:45 am

DCB wrote:Conservatives are understandably upset about the pope's economic heresy.
The folks at DailyKos summarize it:
Pronouncement I like? Infallible! Pronouncement I don't like? Eh, not in the Pope's wheelhouse. Because, you know, things like policy toward women is a moral issue while policy toward the poor is an economic issue.

Conservatives are hardly alone in agreeing with the Pope on selective issues, and disagreeing on others.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:08 am

Igor wrote:Conservatives are hardly alone in agreeing with the Pope on selective issues, and disagreeing on others.

Yes :)
Your point is well taken.
As fascinating as what this pope has to say is...

What is more fascinating, to me, is how the story has pulled so many in. I think that this is very good.

What I think is even better -
Very broad efforts from a highly engaged citizenry.
Again, this call is there.

Return to “Headlines”