Pope Francis keeps talking social justice

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pope Francis keeps talking social justice

Postby gargantua » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:23 pm

That was an interesting article. I've never been a big Morlino fan, to put it mildly, but his logic for the manner in which he ministers to his diocese is internally consistent.

He knows he's not popular around here, but he does his job the way he thinks it ought to be done. I may not agree with him, but I can respect him for following his beliefs.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:03 pm

gargantua wrote:That was an interesting article. I've never been a big Morlino fan, to put it mildly, but his logic for the manner in which he ministers to his diocese is internally consistent.

He knows he's not popular around here, but he does his job the way he thinks it ought to be done. I may not agree with him, but I can respect him for following his beliefs.

Absolutely. I feel the same way about Ed Gein.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:12 pm

For a long time I've wondered if Morlino is a secret member of Opus Dei. Many do keep their membership private in that extremely conservative Catholic cult. Does the pope even get to see who is on their rolls and if so, does in enter into his calculus when appointing those in the hierarchy?

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:14 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:For a long time I've wondered if Morlino is a secret member of Opus Dei. Many do keep their membership private in that extremely conservative Catholic cult. Does the pope even get to see who is on their rolls and if so, does in enter into his calculus when appointing those in the hierarchy?

I doubt if he belonged to Opus Dei that he would bother being secret about it. He hasn't exactly been shy about being lead apologist for the School of the Americas--if explaining away the murder of an Archbishop during his celebration of Mass doesn't bother the good Bishop, why would he care if anyone knew he was in Opus Dei?

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:05 pm

It is my belief that Bishop Morlino was plugged into this diocese for one reason - the university's capability at stem cell research.
This is old news-ish and Geron's common stock does not look too shit hot.
Thanks Tommy.

Blank enough?

Note: Geron holds rights to WARFs property (i.e. ours somehow) regarding an angle around stem tech. Ultimately, as I see it, our bishop and former governor's efforts have restricted the value and public benefits of this intellectual property. Our actions and inaction have consequence.

Note 2: I do not think restriction of value was Tommy's concern, I think it was expected to be a 'happy' opposite result of DHHS decisions under his tenure. As for our bishop, I guess it was about red meat to the base of the neo-whatevers he wanted to tickle.
The further we get from that moment - the more absurd it seems.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:31 pm

The pope is pissing off conservative American Catholics, so much so that there is talk about a schism in the Church. They object to his evolving positions on divorce, gays, capitalism and even climate change.

The Republican Party's war with Pope Francis has finally started

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:07 am

Henry Vilas wrote:The pope is pissing off conservative American Catholics, so much so that there is talk about a schism in the Church...
The Republican Party's war with Pope Francis has finally started

As much as catholic 'conservatives' advocate for war,
They seem to be taking their time to engage this one.
I find this fascinating & concerning as going to "war" against your own is uncivil and the consequences very serious.
But, people will do as "funny animals" will do.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:04 am

They're going to need better heroes than what they've got to cause another schism.

Although it's kind of fun to think about what they'd call the new sect. "First Conservative?" "Reformed Family Values?"

They probably wouldn't go with anything as obvious as "Church of the Holy Currency."

I've got it. "Cross of Gold." Perfect!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:54 am

They need to keep it simple. The Republican Catholic Church.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:33 am

Simple is good. They could go with The Moneychangers. But that might involve a Temple instead of a Church, and that would be a tad too extreme.

Actually I'll change my mind on that. It would make a better band name than a religion.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:34 pm

Now the pope is telling Catholics they need not "breed like rabbits" but he still opposes artificial contraceptives. That means they should rely on the unreliable practice of "natural family planning", otherwise known as the rhythm method. My folks had seven kids on that method. Guess they didn't have any rhythm. The other option is abstinence, which is a totally unrealistic expectation.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:07 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:My folks had seven kids on that method. Guess they didn't have any rhythm. The other option is abstinence, which is a totally unrealistic expectation.

My folks as well,
I cannot speak to rythm.
Although, I will remind you that as much as I appreciate the pope being marinaded in science - he is still the pope of the catholic church.
A collective (of thought) that happens to be a VERY massive thing to steer.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:02 am

Mad Howler wrote:he is still the pope of the catholic church.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:11 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk

Ha!
Let me rephrase that as - "still the pope of the very catholic church"

Return to “Headlines”