Massive Explosions at Boston Marathon

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Massive Explosions at Boston Marathon

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:02 am

fisticuffs wrote:What is the penalty for the NY Post for publishing shit they didn't bother to confirm? Do they lose readers? Or will Ned still go to them for what he wants to hear regardless of it's accuracy?

I don't remember CBS, MSNBC or the NYT getting penalized for their inaccuracies...

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:11 am

Ned Flanders wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:What is the penalty for the NY Post for publishing shit they didn't bother to confirm? Do they lose readers? Or will Ned still go to them for what he wants to hear regardless of it's accuracy?

I don't remember CBS, MSNBC or the NYT getting penalized for their inaccuracies...

Well, here's the difference. This from the article you posted:

Last Updated: 9:14 PM, April 15, 2013

Yet none of the info was changed. Other news sources make mistakes, but they actually correct themselves.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:23 am

Leroy Gates wrote:Considering Al Qaeda has exploded hundreds of bombs and the Tea Party not one it's pretty clear who is delusional.

Well, I'm not sure exactly what the "Tea Party" is, it mostly seems like a bunch of angry, right-wing nutjobs who hate government, taxes, immigrants and gun control.

And yes, right-wing nutjobs have exploded plenty of bombs and shot up temples and schools. The issue is whether you're willing to recognize the possibility that this wasn't an Islamic terrorist. Which, apparently, you aren't.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:57 am

pjbogart wrote:
Leroy Gates wrote:Considering Al Qaeda has exploded hundreds of bombs and the Tea Party not one it's pretty clear who is delusional.

Well, I'm not sure exactly what the "Tea Party" is, it mostly seems like a bunch of angry, right-wing nutjobs who hate government, taxes, immigrants and gun control.

And yes, right-wing nutjobs have exploded plenty of bombs and shot up temples and schools. The issue is whether you're willing to recognize the possibility that this wasn't an Islamic terrorist. Which, apparently, you aren't.

Well gee, pj. It could have been the Girl Scouts or the nursing home knitting club. So what's your point?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Was Timony McVeigh a girl scout, a nursing home knitting club member, or was he an angry right-wing nutjob who hated the government?

Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby Leroy Gates » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:07 pm

pjbogart wrote:
GordonFreeman wrote:Probably a small domestic right-wing/tea party group. April 15th and all.

Yeah, I can't really shake that. Al Qaeda would have likely claimed responsibility by now. April 15th, Tax Day, Boston Harbor?

"The issue is whether you're willing to recognize the possibility that this wasn't an Islamic terrorist." pjbogart

No, PJ you don't get to move the goalposts this time. The issue is Gordon Freeman claims it was PROBABLY a small domestic right-wing/tea party group. That's a long way from you making up a theory that the only possibility I could entertain was AQ. AQ wasn't even my first guess. Does anybody know if the solidarity singers were anywhere near Boston?

Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby Leroy Gates » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:11 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Was Timony McVeigh a girl scout, a nursing home knitting club member, or was he an angry right-wing nutjob who hated the government?

Occupy Bridge Bombers Plan Guilty Pleas

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:34 pm

This.

For today, let's not speculate about who planted those bombs, or what their motivations may have been, or who may have poisoned their minds with hate or who didn't do enough to prevent this tragedy. We will have plenty of time in the days ahead, as we hopefully discover more about this evil attack on our brothers and sisters in Boston, to reach conclusions and make judgments based on evidence and facts rather than on mere suspicion or personal bias.

I say this to everyone -- to the people who agree with my political views and those who do not. I've already seen people online jumping to conclusions. Some argue that this could only be an act of domestic right wing terrorists. Others have blamed Muslim terrorists, liberals and even the President for what happened. In short, too many people are using this atrocity as a means to attack their supposed political enemies than they are concerned for the victims of this horrific act of random murder. Let me repeat, a lot of stupid things are being said by people, most of whom are smart enough to know better.

Let's not be those people. Let's be the people who wait to cast judgment. Let's be the people who send whatever love and support we can to the victims of this crime.

So, whatta you say? How about all you trauma pimps show a little decency and stick a sock in it?

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:37 pm

There's been an endless stream of "experts" all over talk and news radio this morning. Most were unwilling to speculate, but the few who did seemed to agree that the perpetrators are most likely home-grown sympathizers to a foreign cause.

Jus' sayin'.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I don't remember CBS, MSNBC or the NYT getting penalized for their inaccuracies...

So you're standing by your source, then? Even though your first two posts in this thread were piece-of-shit, get-there-first, pander-to-base-fears inaccuracies from the NY Post?

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Marvell wrote:So, whatta you say? How about all you trauma pimps show a little decency and stick a sock in it?

Well, in theory "taking the high road" is always the right thing to do, but in practice it simply lets those "taking the low road" to develop the narrative, and believe me, they're hard at work. Shit, if the Shrub were still in power we would have undoubtedly bombed some random country by now. And you already have at least one GOP congressman complaining that we need to slow down immigration reform in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombing.

It's no accident that Ned Flanders was the first to jump the story. And it's also no accident that his facts were wrong. And predictably, Leroy also seems to have troubles imagining that this was anything other than Islamic terrorists doing what they do best. But before people start stabbing their cabbies or shooting up Sikh temples, perhaps the fringe lunatics deserve a little pushback to at least acknowledge that they don't have all of the facts.

I don't know who bombed the Boston Marathon, but at least I admit that I don't know.

Xiao Mao

Postby Xiao Mao » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:27 pm

I hope they find the perpetrators... that picture of that injured person is so, so horrible... :C

Why target a marathon...? What could have been the motivation?

ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/193420.pdf

This report is a bit old, but these stats say most have been white males, average age: 37...

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:37 pm

Pressure cookers filled with shrapnel used, establishes link to worldwide Islamofacism:

"Investigators believe the bombs at the Boston Marathon were shrapnel-studded pressure cookers, hidden in backpacks and set off by timers, law enforcement officials told NBC News on Tuesday."

More...

"One of the three devices that was to be used in an attempted bomb attack in Times Square in 2010 was a pressure cooker. Earlier that year, terrorists used a pressure cooker bomb in an attack in Pakistan. And in 2006, more than 130 people were killed on the transit system of Mumbai, India, when pressure cookers loaded with explosives were placed on trains."
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04 ... s-say?lite

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:47 pm

Sigh...

Guess we're just going to rush to judgement after all.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:10 pm

Come on, Marvell -- this is Ned we're talking about.
He knew the next bombs to explode would be Islamofascist ones even before they were set.

Return to “Headlines”