Local idiot

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Local idiot

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:09 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Hey, ya gotta do what you can in this fantastic Obama-economy.

What does Wisconsin's loss of jobs, which is counter to the national trend, have to do with Obama?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:21 am

What does Wisconsin's loss of jobs, which is counter to the national trend, have to do with Obama?

I think Ned was referring to how Obama created a housing bubble and then burst it as a means to exert more control over the citizenry.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:25 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Hey, ya gotta do what you can in this fantastic Obama-economy.

On the positive side, once all this free health care kicks in, we should all have a lot more vigor and stamina deal with these minor lifestyle adjustments.

Ned, your subtle grasp of the issues continues to take my breath away, after all this time even!

Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby Comrade » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:42 am

Lots of people in LA and southern CA have commutes just like that. I bet it is common in NYC as well.

I know a guy who lives here in Madison but flys the transcon for a big carrier from NY to CA and back. He is gone for days at a time. There are two f-18 pilots in the navy based on carriers somewhere that also make Madison their home. Several times a year they fly in with their birds for a few days before having to return. They park them with the f-16s here, and that is how I know about it.

Point is that lots and lots of people have made extreme sacrifices for they careers and also their families, and we have no right to sit in judgment of them.

How would you like it for them to put your life under a miicroscope and hold you to what they felt was appropriate and their standards?

I am very often amazed at the extent to which some in Madison have islolated themselves to how others in the US and around the world actually live. That being the case, they seemingly know everything and are very quick to condemn anyone who does not think the same way they do. Very sad.....

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:44 am

Speaking of the local idiot...

Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby Comrade » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:47 am

O.J. wrote:Speaking of the local idiot...

YEAH! SPEAKING!

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:53 am

I'll make no judgement on her parenting skills, but she's an idiot to spend seven hours a day commuting. If it's such a great paying job and you can't sell your house, get a small nearby apartment for weeknight stays. If you can't afford to do that, then maybe it's not such a great paying job.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:37 am

Hey, skimmers. From the article:

In the meantime, Symonds leaves home Sunday or early Monday and returns at the end of the week.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:39 am

What if it was 6 figure plus job? Also per the article she stays Mon-Th nights in IL.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:06 pm

People commute that distance all the time, particularly out east. All the time. There ought to be a fast, efficient train. Maybe she takes the Vanny G, which might allow her to work and ride.

That all said, if she was a he, I don't think we'd be having this discussion. If you live in Madison, you know a guy who drives a lot for work, at least as much as this woman does. I know guys who are back and forth to the Fox Valley, Wausau/Stevens Point, LaCrosse, etc. all the time. I know a guy who is flown to work each Sunday night and returns each Friday afternoon. He generally stays in residence inns or, sometimes, a corporate condo development in places like Indianapolis or San Jose.

On the flip side, if you've ever been to the Madison airport on a Friday, you've probably encountered people flying back home after spending one of several weeks at Epic.

Are these people all bad parents? OR are they doing what they can to make it work?

People like Glenn Grothman would have you believe that parents who separate or divorce aren't just bad parents, they're abusive. But I've got friends who grew up with parents living in different states who aren't just great people, they're doing great things in the world. I know people who grew up with two parents, a sibling and a dog in suburban America with every possible resource available who are horse's asses.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:44 pm

Ducatista wrote:Hey, skimmers. From the article:

In the meantime, Symonds leaves home Sunday or early Monday and returns at the end of the week.

Oh good lord. I spoke way too soon and I apologize for my hasty conclusion.

Pillory that woman!

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:02 pm

rabble, I pointed that out for the people who squawked about her imagined 7-hour-per-day commute.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:06 pm

Ducatista wrote:rabble, I pointed that out for the people who squawked about her imagined 7-hour-per-day commute.

Yeah. I just couldn't resist. I'm sorry and I feel kinda bad about it now.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:23 pm

Thanks for the comments.

I admit I was harsh on this woman. I just can't see how someone would leave their kids for days at a time like that, at that age, and then try to rationalize it on USA today. The 400,000 house in Hawks Landing is not a cause for sympathy either.

I freely admit I might have a different opinion if it was a man doing it. That's based on my own experience of being much closer to my mother as a kid.

I did have a conversation the other day about the fucked up kids of famous football coaches - not a big surprise given the dads are consumed by their jobs.

city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:19 am

C’est moi?
How you gonna win if you aint’ right within?

“Doo Wop,” The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (1998)

I’m sorry…

For being so loud

For threadjacking so much

Pour dire une coquille n'est pas aussi beau comme une perle

My Grandpa Freitag [aka Bumbum] is the reason my pa was the greatest Dad (and prob the best brother—besides Danny) EVER!!!
Butt, Bumbum gave me a special gift, a collection of twin sets of shells. As a silly little girl, I split them up. Now I look back with regret. I wish I would have kept those shells together to preserve [or conserve] his memory. You see, he was the black sheep of the family, kinda like me. Pour vous, Gregory

And, “Instant Karma,” I lost my pearl from the Dells, and I had to give up my “Blood Diamond.”

I’m also sorry about what I said about fake boobs. I bet there’s enough silicon around not to mess with the Ladies. Maybe I just miss my Ds. You see, when I was obese, I went up two sizes, but when
I got more trim, those big bras no longer fit. Now I’m just average. Average all around. Average Amy.

Third, I'm truly sorry about talking about "proportions."

Return to “Headlines”