Local idiot

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Local idiot

Postby bdog » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:09 pm

Extreme commuters

When Stacey Symonds, 41, took a job at travel site Orbitz two years ago, she traded in a 40-minute commute each way for a 3.5-hour drive and train ride from her home in Madison, Wis., to her Chicago office.

"I feel terrible I'm away from my kids a few days a week," says Symonds, whose two children Sadie and Lev are 7 and 4, respectively. But, she says, "on the plus side, I have flexibility. I can get back to Madison if I need to for a parent-teacher conference."

On the minus side, you're a really shitty mother.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Local idiot

Postby fennel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:18 pm

The real question is: Why, in a so-called first-world industrialized nation, can't she make that commute by train in an hour?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:20 pm

No, the real question is why are her priorities so fucked up?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:29 pm

bdog wrote:No, the real question is why are her priorities so fucked up?
Yes, those damn women and their independent ways of thinking. Why can't they just listen, eh?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:40 am

You gotta be kidding me. I hope you're not a mother.

I'm sure you're not a mother.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:38 am

Gee, maybe she needed to make enough money to support them or some thing......

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:47 am

She can't get a cheap flight? She works for fucking Orbitz..

It did say that they tried to sell their home and move, but couldn't.

I'm surprised that a company like that even has an office, I would think that they'd all work from home, afraid of actual human contact like the people they cater to. One would think that they'd just "job" you in the same way that you "friend" people.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:19 am

I can see where lots of people would be critical of a choice like that but after watching countless mothers I've known, making one horrible choice after another, I just can't get very upset over this one. So Mom is taking herself out of the picture for about twelve hours a day to keep the kid's lives stable. Big deal. That's not what anyone in the family would choose for a lifestyle but they don't have to look very far to find others who are much worse off.

This ain't the world the dog grew up in. Things are different out there.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:21 am

Or maybe she has a really good high paying job that supports her family. The housing market tanked and they couldn't afford two homes so now she commutes.

Maybe she should give up her job, live off of welfare, and have her house foreclosed on.

You really know nothing about this situation other than a handful of paragraphs in a news article.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:40 am

Hey, I'm all for passing judgement on someone based on the smallest amount of information.

Bdog, you're a jerk.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:48 am

Yeah- where is the problem? Someone who is married with children takes a job that requires a long commute. Presumably the other parent is capable of maintaining the family during the portion of the day she is gone so there really is no issue. Unless he is really saying that women should stay home and take care of the kids and limit any out-of-the-home work to those hours when the kids are in school -which means they can never do any really responsible jobs that might require long hours or travel or anything ...

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:48 am

She and her husband hung out a for-sale sign in July 2010. "We put our house on the market with all intentions to move," she says. But after nine months and dropping the price four times, there were no takers.
They plan to try again when the housing market improves.

The number of Americans with marathon commutes is on the rise, particularly following a debilitating recession that has pummeled employment and the housing sector, a recent report on the nation's "super commuting" trend finds.

I guess she's doing it cause she hates her kids, right?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:36 am

rrnate wrote:Hey, I'm all for passing judgement on someone based on the smallest amount of information.

Bdog, you're a jerk.

The original post, saying the woman was a shitty mother was jerky. I will give bdog the benefit of the doubt....could be just an initial reaction without really thinking it through. That can happen to most anybody.

But really, who does a daily 3 1/2 hour commute if they feel they have other reasonable choices? I drive to Chicago a few times a year. It is not my idea of fun, to put it mildly.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:50 am

gargantua wrote:
rrnate wrote:Hey, I'm all for passing judgement on someone based on the smallest amount of information.

Bdog, you're a jerk.

The original post, saying the woman was a shitty mother was jerky. I will give bdog the benefit of the doubt....could be just an initial reaction without really thinking it through. That can happen to most anybody.

But really, who does a daily 3 1/2 hour commute if they feel they have other reasonable choices? I drive to Chicago a few times a year. It is not my idea of fun, to put it mildly.

Hey man, I just followed the same critical path that bdog did. I saw one thing, made a snap judgement and assumed the worst.

That all being said, I definitely can't imagine making a commute that long. My commute increased from 8 minutes to like, 14 minutes a few years ago and that alone nearly ruined my life.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:58 am

Hey, ya gotta do what you can in this fantastic Obama-economy.

On the positive side, once all this free health care kicks in, we should all have a lot more vigor and stamina deal with these minor lifestyle adjustments.

Return to “Headlines”