Shooting outside church key/segredo

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Shooting outside church key/segredo

Postby Endo Rockstar » Sat May 19, 2012 9:13 am

What the hell? I heard the sirens last night and NBC15 on twitter put out the first report I saw:

http://www.cityofmadison.com/incidentRe ... m?id=13319

This is a new level of Fucked up for Madison.

-Dan Motor

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Shooting outside church key/segredo

Postby narcoleptish » Sat May 19, 2012 9:24 am

I was just about to post this. Incident report says guy on foot fired into crowd of 100. People report 6-7 shots. That could easily be 6-7 dead people.
http://www.cityofmadison.com/incidentre ... m?id=13319

Welcome to summer.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Sat May 19, 2012 9:40 am

I sincerely hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Drunken brawls, domestic disputes, and public intoxication from the downtown bar crowd we can all palette. It's young people cutting their teeth with alcohol and being a combination of young, dumb and horny.

This is a different level.

-Dan Motor

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sat May 19, 2012 11:34 am

Endo Rockstar wrote:It's young people cutting their teeth with alcohol and being a combination of young, dumb and horny.

More specifically, young black males.

But shhh, you can't say that.

Okay... let's hear it... yawn...

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Sat May 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Remember_Me wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote:It's young people cutting their teeth with alcohol and being a combination of young, dumb and horny.

More specifically, young black males.

But shhh, you can't say that.

Okay... let's hear it... yawn...

don't be stupid. Unless you have a list of downtown offenders and their race over the last year ready to publish you can shut your fucking hole.

-Dan Motor

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sat May 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Or I can just read the news every day and keep my fucking hole wide open.

Either way.

Are you saying the shootings in this city over the past year(s) aren't perpetrated primarily by young black males?

Despite only making up less than 8% of the population?

Don't be stupid and let's have a conversation about it instead of racial fake outrage.

I'm interested in solutions... not excuses.

Also something to consider, I've been dating the same black girl for the past 7 years now.

Her and I are of the same mind when it comes to this issue.

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Sat May 19, 2012 3:48 pm

Remember_Me wrote:Or I can just read the news every day and keep my fucking hole wide open.

Either way.

Are you saying the shootings in this city over the past year(s) aren't perpetrated primarily by young black males?

Despite only making up less than 8% of the population?

Don't be stupid and let's have a conversation about it instead of racial fake outrage.

I'm interested in solutions... not excuses.

Also something to consider, I've been dating the same black girl for the past 7 years now.

Her and I are of the same mind when it comes to this issue.

We had a serious mis-communication here.

When I said this:
Endo Rockstar wrote:Drunken brawls, domestic disputes, and public intoxication from the downtown bar crowd we can all palette. It's young people cutting their teeth with alcohol and being a combination of young, dumb and horny.

I was referring to your average frat boy Friday nights downtown and the race distribution you'd expect from liberal honkey-ville USA.

I then briefly alluded to a shooting like this outside a meat-market like Segredo was a serious escalation of violence from the usually drunk jackassery we've all come to accept and the norm for the downtown bar crowd.

So sorry. Kind of. I realize I'm an asshole but you're probably an asshole too so it all works out.

In regards to the inadvertent thread-jack The violence in primarily lower to lower-middle class black neighborhoods and cities is a whole 'nother ball of wax with way more research and evidence than even I would try to deny.

-Dan Motor

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat May 19, 2012 5:22 pm

Here I was thinking it's about time we had some actions taken against the drunken student brawl/frat boy party that is University Avenue at night, actions to match what happens when a bar with a black clientele goes out of control and gunplay begins.

Now you're blaming this on a black clientele too? Where did that come from? I believe most people are thinking it's UW's mostly-white bar patrons until informed otherwise by a reputable news source.

We don't even know yet where the shots were fired from.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat May 19, 2012 5:38 pm

snoqueen wrote:Now you're blaming this on a black clientele too? Where did that come from? I believe most people are thinking it's UW's mostly-white bar patrons until informed otherwise by a reputable news source.

We don't even know yet where the shots were fired from.

Actually, more is known than is visible in the madison.com articles. the UW has its own press release on the subject which says, in part, that a gunman fired into the crowd, fleeing on foot; that none of the three gunshot victims were UW students; and that the suspect is "a male, black man 20-25 years old, who is 5-feet, 9-inches to 6-feet tall."

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat May 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Hmmm. Will be interesting to see how this one is handled compared with other shots-outside-a-bar incidents, and interesting (in a bad way) to see if there's more of the same on University Avenue as the summer heats up.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sat May 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:I realize I'm an asshole but you're probably an asshole too so it all works out.

Right on.

I'm not sure if that cancels us out or if it's the exact opposite and potentially cataclysmic.

Sort of like crossing the streams.

Anyway, it just seems like there's been an usually high amount of gun crime in the city as of late and as I read the stories it usually involves young black males. And yes, usually in "black" neighborhoods.

But this shooting into a crowd of college kids downtown... wow.

Like Phil Anselmo screams... a new level.

Will be interesting to see how the city reacts now that it's happening near white kids.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sat May 19, 2012 8:12 pm

Are there bars downtown still that are requiring valid driver's licenses to get in?

I remember reading about that last summer and it ended a few bar's violence problems like overnight someone said.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat May 19, 2012 8:21 pm

After a discussion with the alder and other city staff, the bar owners decided to discontinue the drivers' license thing for legal reasons.

A little more info about last night's shooting is at the Journal-Sentinel:
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/1521 ... ewestfirst

Not yet known publicly is whether the victims knew the shooter, what the dispute was supposedly about, or much else. The three victims were non-students.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat May 19, 2012 8:33 pm

snoqueen wrote:A little more info about last night's shooting is at the Journal-Sentinel:
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/1521 ... ewestfirst

I see the quality of the commentary on the JS continues to rival that on madison.com.

Oops--hope that comment doesn't get me banned....

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon May 21, 2012 8:09 am

This was the Sunday story in the WSJ.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 963f4.html

And these carefully chosen words seem to say what everyone's thinking:

Area business owners said Saturday the problem has been growing since last summer.

In fact, the owners of Johnny O’s and Wando’s Bar, also located in the 600 block of University Avenue, met with Mayor Paul Soglin on Wednesday to discuss the violence outside of their clubs. Ald. Mike Verveer, 4th District, attended the meeting. He said the men felt helpless to stop “thuggish” people loitering on the streets near the bars.

Verveer said Soglin pulled out a city map and pointed to several “challenged communities.” He told the businessmen that some of the people preying on those neighborhoods were also descending onto State Street and University Avenue.

Return to “Headlines”