The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The gun thread

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:28 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:I think the phrase "simply" shouldn't have been used
The word "always" shouldn't have been either.

No, there are people who believe this. I have relatives who believe this. Sure it may be a minority, but they're out there.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:32 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:It is a horrible tragedy, and I hope people will start to understand that simply owning a gun, let alone being a HUGE advocate, isn't always the answer.
When has anyone claimed that simply owning a gun is always the answer?

Where have you been? that's pretty much the standard response from the NRA after every shooting.
e.g after Sandy Hook

LaPierre’s rationale, that “the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun,” led to his suggestion that there be “armed police officers in every school in this nation.”

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:42 pm

LaPierre’s rationale, that “the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun,” led to his suggestion that there be “armed police officers in every school in this nation.”
How is having a guard stationed at a school equivalent to owning a gun? I'm not defending LaPierre's proposal, in any case. But he didn't say "everyone needs to own a gun".

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:22 pm

I'm getting a gorilla.

ColumbiaCounty

Postby ColumbiaCounty » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:48 pm

Here is the face of the contemporary American 2nd amendment "patriot"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn9kDM2qrSc&list=UUJqloayL-p1TP4Ed_fr53CA&index=1

ColumbiaCounty

Postby ColumbiaCounty » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Mr. Yaeger posted an updated version of his video at his website today:
http://soldiersystems.net/tag/james-yaeger/

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:57 pm

ColumbiaCounty wrote:Mr. Yaeger posted an updated version of his video at his website today:

Someone's been taking those crazy pills that Alex Jones was talking about.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:17 pm

Another take on the 2nd...
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/01/0 ... ment-Myth#

Then in 1939 the landmark decision came in United States v. Miller which drew the first distinction in the issue.

... it came with two big conclusions: The Second Amendment only protects use of weapons in an organized militia...

The Court cannot take judicial notice that a shotgun having a barrel less than 18 inches long has today any reasonable relation to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, and therefore cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees to the citizen the right to keep and bear such a weapon.

Gun Activism In The Courts

Then after about 200 years of legal precedent came the Roberts Court. It suddenly overturned almost all of US history in favor of gun rights advocates with District of Columbia v. Heller in 2008 and subsequent cases...

With Heller, like other Roberts Decisions, came the evaporation of centuries of cases and decades of Supreme court precedent that roughly reflected an originalist observation in the Constitution.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:21 am

Pendulum swings.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:07 am

pjbogart wrote:
ColumbiaCounty wrote:Mr. Yaeger posted an updated version of his video at his website today:

Someone's been taking those crazy pills that Alex Jones was talking about.

I would have thought after the Knoxville shootings that Tennesseeans would be less tolerant of right-wing domestic terrorism.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:30 am

It's time to amend this thread's title to the more appropriate "The gun threat."

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:05 pm

Nutbag just lost his carry permit. And he should.

Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm

fennel wrote:It's time to amend this thread's title to the more appropriate "The gun threat."

If there would be a vote on this, my vote is 'aye'.
MH

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:44 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Nutbag just lost his carry permit. And he should.

From a local newsreport:

NASHVILLE, Tenn.- Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security has suspended the handgun carry permit of a local man who threatened to "start killing people" to protect his Second Amendment right.

In a statement released Friday officials said they had suspended the handgun carry permit of James Yeager, CEO of Tactical Response based on "material likelihood of risk of harm to the public".

On Thursday, a video of Yeager angrily claiming he would "start killing people" if President Barack Obama moved forward with gun control measures began to go viral on the internet.

"The number one priority for our department is to ensure the public's safety. Mr. Yeager's comments were irresponsible, dangerous, and deserved our immediate attention. Due to our concern, as well as that of law enforcement, his handgun permit was suspended immediately. We have notified Mr. Yeager about the suspension today via e-mail. He will receive an official notification of his suspension through the mail," Commissioner Bill Gibbons said.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:31 pm

Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security has suspended the handgun carry permit of a local man who threatened to "start killing people" to protect his Second Amendment right.

I got to give 'em credit -- it's about time. I wouldn't have expected this from some bureaucracy in Tennessee, and they're going to take a lot of shit for this very sensible move against a plainly stated threat.

The sooner we start drawing a bright line between "defensible minority political beliefs" and "crazy wingnut fantasists" the better.

Return to “Headlines”