The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The gun thread

Postby rabble » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:31 am

You'd have to outlaw reloading for that traceable bullet stuff to work.

And you'd have to decide whether in cases like Fast and Furious, is the government responsible or just the people who authorized and carried out the op?

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:59 am

rabble wrote:You'd have to outlaw reloading for that traceable bullet stuff to work.

Why? Do criminals typically steal ammunition from hobbyists?

And you'd have to decide whether in cases like Fast and Furious, is the government responsible or just the people who authorized and carried out the op?

I don't see the connection here. Government-led gun-running is obviously seriously wrong, and everyone involved needs to pay the penalty, but what does that have to do with tracing ammo?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:24 pm

Detritus wrote:
rabble wrote:You'd have to outlaw reloading for that traceable bullet stuff to work.

Why? Do criminals typically steal ammunition from hobbyists?

I assumed that if criminals knew the store bought ammo was now traceable, they'd look for other sources. Maybe they wouldn't.
Detritus wrote:

I don't see the connection here. Government-led gun-running is obviously seriously wrong, and everyone involved needs to pay the penalty, but what does that have to do with tracing ammo?

Nothing. I just wasn't clear. That one goes back to the Jason's first paragraph about the stolen gun responsibility.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:28 pm

rabble wrote:Nothing. I just wasn't clear. That one goes back to the Jason's first paragraph about the stolen gun responsibility.

Ah, got it. Yes, from my perspective, they're all guilty, guilty, guilty.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:43 pm

rabble wrote:I assumed that if criminals knew the store bought ammo was now traceable, they'd look for other sources. Maybe they wouldn't.

Ice bullets. Just like in the movies.

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:53 pm

This is kind of like the proposal to require gun insurance, just like most states require auto insurance. If a gun causes property damage, personal injury or death, the company that insures it pays compensation. If it's uninsured, or the gun can't be identified, compensation comes from a pool.

Note that this wouldn't absolve individuals of criminal prosecution, any more than having insurance absolves you of prosecution if you deliberately use your car to damage someone's property or cause injury.

I'm not expressing an opinion on this, just noting it's out there.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:50 pm

And on top of everything else I now have to deal with the fact that through poor proofreading I have referred to jjoyce as "the Jason."

Damn guns!

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:51 pm

I prefer Jason The Joyce, thankyouverymuch

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:15 pm

A producer behind a popular gun enthusiast YouTube channel was found dead with a single gunshot wound to the head at his business last week.

Police in Georgia are investigating the apparent homicide of Keith Ratliff, a 32-year-old Franklin County resident.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/0 ... 39284.html

If only he had a gun to protect himself. Right?

Authorities found multiple weapons at the scene of the crime, some manufactured by Ratliff himself, WSBTV reports. Investigators have not identified a motive.

It is a horrible tragedy, and I hope people will start to understand that simply owning a gun, let alone being a HUGE advocate, isn't always the answer.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:22 pm

Ratliff was known as an outspoken gun advocate. In a message posted to Twitter on Aug 11, 2012, he wrote: "I went to the movies with my pistol in my pocket the whole time I was praying that somebody would try to pull a Batman!"

Yeah, that would be awesome!!!

You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:53 pm

kurt_w wrote:This is kind of like the proposal to require gun insurance, just like most states require auto insurance. If a gun causes property damage, personal injury or death, the company that insures it pays compensation. If it's uninsured, or the gun can't be identified, compensation comes from a pool.

Note that this wouldn't absolve individuals of criminal prosecution, any more than having insurance absolves you of prosecution if you deliberately use your car to damage someone's property or cause injury.

I'm not expressing an opinion on this, just noting it's out there.
I've heard this one before and also heard that there are two major problems. One, there is no insurance company that would issue such a policy voluntarily (which isn't necessarily a problem, depending on how you feel about gun ownership), and two, such policy terms are illegal in many states.

I'm not a legal scholar, so I can't provide much hard evidence, but here is an article on a related topic - businesses taking out insurance policies to protect themselves from liability when employees commit crimes.
Last edited by ArturoBandini on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:54 pm

Stebben84 wrote:It is a horrible tragedy, and I hope people will start to understand that simply owning a gun, let alone being a HUGE advocate, isn't always the answer.
When has anyone claimed that simply owning a gun is always the answer?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:59 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:When has anyone claimed that simply owning a gun is always the answer?

That reminds me, what ever happend to DMan?

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:16 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:It is a horrible tragedy, and I hope people will start to understand that simply owning a gun, let alone being a HUGE advocate, isn't always the answer.
When has anyone claimed that simply owning a gun is always the answer?

I think the phrase "simply" shouldn't have been used, but I've heard/read so many people say, "if only so and so had a gun" this incident wouldn't have happened.

Henry Vilas wrote:That reminds me, what ever happend to DMan?

He has talked about the "gun free zone" on many occasions. Well, this guys business wasn't "gun free." Far from it.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I think the phrase "simply" shouldn't have been used
The word "always" shouldn't have been either.

Return to “Headlines”