The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3223
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm
Contact:

Re: The gun thread

Postby wack wack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:41 am

Stebben84 wrote:
penquin wrote:but are unaware of what can lead to someone being put on The List.


What the fuck is The List.


I'm curious too... please explain, penquin.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3266
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: The gun thread

Postby DCB » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:44 am

Stebben84 wrote:
penquin wrote:but are unaware of what can lead to someone being put on The List.


What the fuck is The List.

Contrary to Peeing's assertion, I think most Americans actually are aware of the fact that the gun fetishists are morbidly paranoid things that don't exist, include this fictitious List.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21676
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: The gun thread

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:46 am

penquin wrote:Did you use any illegal substances in those past 50 years? Do you still?

If so, I ain't saying that makes you a bad person....but it does mean that it was/is illegal for you to have a firearm.

Which one are you gonna give up...the pipe or the gun? Or neither?

What the fuck are you talking about? You are the one who had a felony conviction. I've never even had a traffic ticket.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1098
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:19 pm
Contact:

Re: The gun thread

Postby penquin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:56 am

Stebben84 wrote:What the fuck is The List.


Sorry, I thought it was pretty obvious in the context of the discussion. I was referring to the Federal database that contains the names of those citizens whom it is illegal to sell a firearm to.

DCB wrote:Contrary to Peeing's assertion, I think most Americans actually are aware of the fact that the gun fetishists are morbidly paranoid things that don't exist, include this fictitious List.


???

If there is no such list/database of folks who are banned from purchasing a firearm, then what is the point of conducting background checks?

Henry Vilas wrote:What the fuck are you talking about?


I'm talking about the fact that you've stated you smoke marijuana. (NTTAWWT...at least not on my eyes.) And I'm talking about the fact that it is illegal for pot smokers (regardless if they have been convicted of such a crime) to posses a firearm.

If you were to buy a gun from a licensed dealer, you'd have to lie on the application in order to get it approved.

You are the one who had a felony conviction.


Not that it really matters, but the felony convictions were later overturned. Please update your personal records.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21676
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: The gun thread

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:02 pm

penquin wrote:And I'm talking about the fact that it is illegal for pot smokers (regardless if they have been convicted of such a crime) to posses a firearm.

Fact? Go anything credible to back up your so-called fact?

penquin
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1098
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:19 pm
Contact:

Re: The gun thread

Postby penquin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:12 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Go anything credible to back up your so-called fact?


Are you saying that NBC news isn't considered "credible" or are you saying that you totally ignored the link I provided less than an hour ago?

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: The gun thread

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:48 pm

penquin wrote:If there is no such list/database of folks who are banned from purchasing a firearm, then what is the point of conducting background checks?


These "lists" already exist. Where was it written that one magic list was going to be drafted. When they run credit checks, they look through a variety of lists. That is how this would work as well and if you came up negative on one of those "lists" then you're denied. When you apply for a federal job, they do "background" checks as well. You're not on a "banned from federal job" list. They search a variety of records.

Guess what, you're on a list somewhere. Better stock up on tinfoil.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21676
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: The gun thread

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:09 pm

penquin wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Go anything credible to back up your so-called fact?


Are you saying that NBC news isn't considered "credible" or are you saying that you totally ignored the link I provided less than an hour ago?

Let's see "the List" of those who received a citation or even a misdemeanor conviction for pot possession.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1098
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:19 pm
Contact:

Re: The gun thread

Postby penquin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Stebben84 wrote:These "lists" already exist.


Yup, lots of lists been around for a long time.

The one maintained by the FBI to determine if a person is allowed to posses a firearm has been around since 1998.

Where was it written that one magic list was going to be drafted.


Where indeed? Until you mentioned it, I have seen nothing at all about a "magic" list.

Guess what, you're on a list somewhere. Better stock up on tinfoil.


I'm sure I am on all kinds of lists...for all kinds of different reasons. Does being aware of that really make one paranoid? If so, do you think you're on any lists?

Henry Vilas wrote:Let's see "the List" of those who received a citation or even a misdemeanor conviction for pot possession.


Never said there was a list like that, so quit building that strawman. I simply pointed out the fact that it is illegal for a pot smoker to possess a firearm. Law doesn't say anything about a conviction, rather "use".

I don't blame ya for not knowing that...many folks don't. I just find it kinda funny that a strong supporter of stricter gun laws also happens to be an illegal gun owner.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3223
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm
Contact:

Re: The gun thread

Postby wack wack » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:36 am

penquin wrote:I just find it kinda funny that a strong supporter of stricter gun laws also happens to be an illegal gun owner.


I find it kinda "funny" that pot is illegal while guns are not. Neither is based on reason or sensibility.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7904
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: The gun thread

Postby rabble » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:41 am

Bill Maher points out that 90% of the public is in favor of background checks which means even people who can't pass background checks want background checks.

That's funny.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21676
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: The gun thread

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:44 am

Are those that get a citation (ticket) for pot told that they can no longer possess a firearm? Are those who are found guilty of misdemeanor possession also told that? Of course not.

Your argument is spurious.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3223
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm
Contact:

Re: The gun thread

Postby wack wack » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:39 am

Caller on WPR just stated that TENS OF THOUSANDS of gun owners defend themselves from crime with guns every year.

Tens of thousands. Every year. Wow.

penquin
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1098
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:19 pm
Contact:

Re: The gun thread

Postby penquin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:27 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Are those that get a citation (ticket) for pot told that they can no longer possess a firearm? Are those who are found guilty of misdemeanor possession also told that? Of course not.


I'm not sure what that has to do with our discussion...because the law is about use of an illegal substance, rather than conviction for using an illegal substance...but I totally understand you being shocked and surprised by this revelation. I wasn't aware of it either until the ObamaAdmin issued a letter last Sept in regards to medical marijuana patients purchasing firearms. And that letter is very clear about this issue. As the previously linked article stated: "Federal law already makes it illegal for someone to possess a gun if he or she is 'an unlawful user of, or addicted to' marijuana or other controlled substances."

And if NBC really isn't considered credible enough for ya, lots of other news outlets are saying the same thing:

Washington Times: An open letter dated Sept. 21 from Arthur Herbert, ATF assistant director for Enforcement Programs and Services, said that, “any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether his or her State has passed legislation authorizing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance, and is prohibited by Federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition.”

USA Today:According to the letter, "any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether his or her state has passed legislation authorizing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance, and is prohibited by federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition."

FoxNews:Federal laws say dealers cannot sell guns to people who use illegal drugs or are addicted to drugs.

*shrug*

Seems pretty cut and dried to me (pun not intended). Do you have any information that leads you to beleive it is perfectly legal for an illegal drug user to purchase/possess a firearm, or is it just simply too absurd for you to want to beleive?

Granted, the odds of you actually getting in trouble for the illegal firearm in your attic is probably about the same as you getting in trouble for having some illegal dried herb in your living room. I ain't suggesting that the ATF will be kicking down your door anytime soon. But I am saying that if you personally decide to purchase a firearm then you're gonna have to lie (or perhaps quibble...Didn't use any today, so today I ain't a user...hehehe) on the application in order to get it approved.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21676
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: The gun thread

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Shrug all you want, but can you show me a case where someone was arrested for felony possession of a firearm if all they have on their record is a citation or misdemeanor conviction for mere possession of pot? Otherwise all you have is paranoia.


Return to “Headlines”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests