The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The gun thread

Postby wack wack » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:41 pm

BSH wrote:
snoqueen wrote:I think it's time to turn the question around and ask what legitimate public interest is served by anonymously stockpiling assault weapons.

So everything should be banned unless people can show they justifiably need it?

Not everything, just things that are designed to kill.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:42 pm

BSH wrote:But all this is a straw man, anyway. The question for an "assault weapon" ban is, is it narrowly tailored to serve a legitimate public interest? Evidence says no. There is no evidence that such a law would change crime or homicides in any measurable way. The NIJ said as much in evaluating the President's gun control proposals.

Are you referring to this NIJ report:
https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/Publications/ ... ?ID=204431
I think you're overstating their conclusions.
"Hard to measure" doesn't mean "no effect".
Should it be renewed, the ban’s effects on gun violence are likely to be small at best and perhaps too small for reliable measurement. AWs were rarely used in gun crimes even before the ban.

"rare" in this means relative to the outrageous number of gun crimes in this country. Events like those in Newtown are rare, but anybody with a shred of empathy should want them to be even rarer.

They go on:
Nonetheless, reducing criminal use of AWs and especially LCMs could have nontrivial effects on gunshot victimizations. The few available studies suggest that attacks with semiautomatics – including AWs and other semiautomatics equipped with LCMs – result in more shots fired, more persons hit, and more wounds
inflicted per victim than do attacks with other firearms. Further, a study of handgun attacks in one city found that 3% of the gunfire incidents resulted in more than 10 shots fired, and those attacks produced almost 5% of the gunshot victims.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:12 pm

What legitimate use is there for civilians to possess high capacity, rapid fire weapons, whether they be long guns or hand guns?

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Self and family defense against home invasion.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:52 pm

A shotgun would be much better. Just the sound of a pump shotgun being racked would be a great deterrent.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:22 pm

I know. That's why I recommend owning a shotgun. But if the home/neighborhood invaders are armed and there are many of them, I'd want to quickly get to my AR-15. Wouldn't you?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:26 pm

wack wack wrote:
BSH wrote:
snoqueen wrote:I think it's time to turn the question around and ask what legitimate public interest is served by anonymously stockpiling assault weapons.

So everything should be banned unless people can show they justifiably need it?

Not everything, just things that are designed to kill.

Like knives, fertilizer and pressure cookers?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Meade wrote:Self and family defense against home invasion.

Or a tyrannical government.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:28 pm

Or paranoia.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:28 pm

But if the home/neighborhood invaders are armed and there are many of them, I'd want to quickly get to my AR-15. Wouldn't you?

And what if the invaders are zombies? They can take more than one bullet.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:32 pm

Meade wrote:But if the home/neighborhood invaders are armed and there are many of them, I'd want to quickly get to my AR-15.

And if they had tanks, I'd want to hop in my Apache armed with Hellfire missiles. Should I be allowed to park one of those on my roof?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:34 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Or paranoia.

We must excuse Hank. A younger Hank was enticed to play a horrifying game of stink finger with the Beat Poet Allen Ginsberg in the back seat of a Hupmobile in the summer of '57 and has never been the same since.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:40 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Or paranoia.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: "And I told the story about two conversations I had. The first conversation was when Michelle came back from doing some campaigning out in rural Iowa. And we were sitting at dinner, and she had been to like a big county, a lot of driving out there, a lot of farmland. And she said, if I was living out in a farm in Iowa, I'd probably want a gun, too. If somebody just drives up into your driveway and you're not home -- you don't know who these people are and you don't know how long it's going to take for the sheriffs to respond. I can see why you'd want some guns for protection. That's one conversation."

Is that paranoia, Hen?
If Michelle, the hypothetical Iowa farmer's wife, wanted some guns -- to protect her children and herself from robbery, kidnapping, homicide, rape, or assault -- would you deny her high capacity, rapid fire weapons, whether they be long guns or hand guns? Poor paranoid Michelle Obama the hypothetical Iowa farmer's wife.
Last edited by Meade on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:41 pm

Your obsession with sexual imagery, especially gay sex, is very telling. Come out of the closet, Ned.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:42 pm

Return to “Headlines”