Armed Citizens Offending With Guns

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Armed Citizens Offending With Guns

Postby Bland » Sun May 06, 2012 3:52 am

Now that Dangerousman's attempt to distract us with context and information has been dealt with, let's get back to the topic at hand....

Elbahi, the wife of Mohamed Elbahi, a Permanent Mission of the Republic of the Sudan to the United Nations, was hit with the stray bullet, that narrowly missed her neck. She was waiting for her five-year-old son to be dropped off by the school bus.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Innoce ... 36865.html

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Sun May 06, 2012 3:56 am

How ironic!
Only one way to interpret this incident.....MY way!

Innocent Gunshot Victim Sues Gun Store

Plaintiff was 15 year old boy walking home from high school across the street from a gun store when he received a bullet wound in his arm.

The bullet came from guns fired by an off-duty police officer and the gun store owner when the gun shop was being robbed.

Although acknowledging that plaintiff was indeed an innocent and unfortunate bystander, the gun store owner and off-duty police officer took the position that their actions in firing their guns at the robbers was a reasonable use of force under the circumstances since the robbers were armed with sawed off shot guns.

Winer & McKenna, LLP retained ballistics and hand gun experts to establish that the gun store owner and off duty police officer fired many more shots than necessary and continued to fire when the assailants were in retreat and when they should have known that they were putting innocent pedestrians at risk. Fortunately, plaintiff’s arm made a fairly good recovery from his injury.

http://www.wmlawyers.com/cases/247.html

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun May 06, 2012 9:27 am

Bland wrote:Now that Dangerousman's attempt to distract us with context and information has been dealt with, let's get back to the topic at hand....

:D Let's not get distracted by information.

Oh, by the way... you make no rules.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sun May 06, 2012 9:57 am

I'm moving to Salvador Brazil this July, to teach high school for two years. Salvador, like Rio and Sao Paulo, has a very high murder rate. The favelas in these cities are incredibly dangerous places to go, but you can also get mugged at gunpoint on the beaches, on the bus, and just about anywhere.

To Dman, I suppose the solution would be to allow everybody to buy and carry guns, and this way the thugs would think twice about mugging someone. No, I think they would just shoot first and then take the camera/money/passport/watch from their victims.

I haven't the slightest desire to own a gun down there, either to carry around (how in hell would I do that, when my casual wear will be board shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops?) or to have in my condo or apartment. I want the guns to go away, and one of the best ways to achieve this is to reduce the poverty in the favelas, and to reduce the drug addiction along with it.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Sun May 06, 2012 10:13 am

Dangerousman wrote: :D Let's not get distracted by information.
Whoooosh!
That was my point sailing right over your head.

I imagine it's pretty breezy up there if your complete missing of the joke here is a demonstration of your usual cluelessness.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun May 06, 2012 10:24 am

Bland wrote:
Dangerousman wrote: :D Let's not get distracted by information.
Whoooosh!
That was my point sailing right over your head.

I imagine it's pretty breezy up there if your complete missing of the joke here is a demonstration of your usual cluelessness.

There's only one joke here: you.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Sun May 06, 2012 10:41 am

A shoot-out between two men running along Corlies Street near Dickinson around 2:30 p.m. left the woman dead

http://articles.philly.com/2012-04-20/n ... ce-markers

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Sun May 06, 2012 10:42 am

See, this is what happens when you bring a gun to a swordfight.

http://www.stabroeknews.com/2012/news/b ... tlass-man/

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun May 06, 2012 12:20 pm

Oops -- you missed my last set of questions.

If we are to believe in a good gun-guy/bad gun-guy system we need a way to tell who is which before shooting happens. It can't just be a self-assigned category, because everyone will say they have good reasons for carrying their guns.

How do we know?

Where does it say any of those incidents Bland linked was gang-related?

All I can tell so far the bad guys are in gangs. Can we tell if they flash signs? If they wear colors or big pants? If we see somebody dressed in Lands' End, do we know right away they're good guys?

This is insufficient and unrelated to real qualifications.

Dman wrote:...fortunately most cops are honest, most pilots are competent, most buildings are designed and built reasonably well.

As far as being proactive in dealing with possible disasters, the one I know the most about is buildings that fall down or stay up. Buildings have to be designed by licensed architects and/or checked over by licensed structural engineers, both of which certifications take years of study and lengthy exams. Then the buildings are rechecked by building inspectors at every stage of construction and rechecked when changes are made, plus being periodically inspected by fire officials.

When street justice is meted out by similarly qualified personnel we can discuss this further.

Return to “Headlines”