Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Bland » Fri May 04, 2012 9:19 am

Dangerousman wrote:Nobody has lifted a finger to challenge my original premise if you've noticed.
That's because strawmen can't type.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Dangerousman » Fri May 04, 2012 10:43 am

Bland wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:Nobody has lifted a finger to challenge my original premise if you've noticed.
That's because strawmen can't type.


"If you only had a brain" right Scarecrow?

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Detritus » Fri May 04, 2012 10:51 am

Dangerousman wrote:No, it is a question of existence.

No, it is not a question of existence. No one is questioning the existence of the anecdotes you have cited. Rather, they are questioning your assertion that those anecdotes are best interpreted as 1) some kind of defense (you don't seem to care what is being "defended" as long as a gun is being used in the process), and 2) therefore, there is a need for liberal gun laws. Those two points are questions of interpretation, not existence.
Dangerousman wrote:Wow, that's quite an elaborate little conspiracy theory you cooked up..... And you're absolutely right, it makes no sense whatsoever to talk about defending without naming an object. It makes no sense whatsoever to talk about the Green Bay Packers defense in general, is that what you're saying?

Conspiracy theory? Trying to understand your verbiage = spinning a conspiracy theory? Did I mention anyone other than you? And as for your Packers example, are you a bit fuzzy on the difference between a verb and a noun? Here, let me help you with that.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3146
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby DCB » Fri May 04, 2012 11:40 am

Dangerousman wrote:g) Something else.... you tell us.

umm, call 911?

Which is what normal people do.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Bland » Fri May 04, 2012 11:41 am

Dangerousman wrote:
Bland wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:Nobody has lifted a finger to challenge my original premise if you've noticed.
That's because strawmen can't type.


"If you only had a brain" right Scarecrow?


Haha! You showed me.
Now, would you care to show me the comments by "a lot of people" that resemble what you are so desperately attempting to refute? You claim this entire thread is in response to an opinion I see no evidence anyone holds.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3032
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:23 am

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby ilikebeans » Fri May 04, 2012 11:48 am

DCB wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:g) Something else.... you tell us.

umm, call 911?

When you're wearing a Captain America costume under your everyday clothes, you have no need for the police.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Dangerousman » Fri May 04, 2012 12:31 pm

DCB wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:g) Something else.... you tell us.

umm, call 911?

Which is what normal people do.


Okay...

And what should the neighbor do during the 10 minutes or so it takes for the police to arrive?

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Dangerousman » Fri May 04, 2012 12:46 pm

Bland wrote:Now, would you care to show me the comments by "a lot of people" that resemble what you are so desperately attempting to refute? You claim this entire thread is in response to an opinion I see no evidence anyone holds.


You haven't been paying attention (no big surprise there.)

I'm not desperately attempting to refute it, I'm have a damn easy time refuting it.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Bland » Fri May 04, 2012 12:55 pm

Dangerousman wrote:You haven't been paying attention
Enlighten me.
Since "a lot of people are of the opinion that guns aren't really used for legitimate self-defense very often" it should be a simple task to provide a handful of Forum posts demonstrating it.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Dangerousman » Fri May 04, 2012 3:54 pm

DCB wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:g) Something else.... you tell us.

umm, call 911?

Which is what normal people do.


Like Zimmerman did? Choose your Zimmerman, George or Brittany. Still waiting for your response to my earlier question....

DCB
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3146
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby DCB » Fri May 04, 2012 3:58 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
DCB wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:g) Something else.... you tell us.

umm, call 911?

Which is what normal people do.


Like Zimmerman did? Choose your Zimmerman, George or Brittany. Still waiting for your response to my earlier question....

Zimmerman isn't normal.

And I'm not going to entertain your sick paranoid fantasies.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Dangerousman » Fri May 04, 2012 4:06 pm

DCB wrote:Zimmerman isn't normal.

And I'm not going to entertain your sick paranoid fantasies.


So your response is the neighbor ought to call 911 and then do nothing more? Heck even Tom Barrett attempted a little bit more than that when he came across an attack in progress. (But since he was standing there in the open he might not have had much choice.)

Hmmm, interesting. I am not sure that Snoqueen would agree to such a minimal effort by her fictional neighbor, but she hasn't offered her opinion yet. I'm still waiting for that too.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12634
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby snoqueen » Fri May 04, 2012 4:13 pm

DCB wrote:
And I'm not going to entertain your sick paranoid fantasies.


Me either.

I'm busy being paranoid about the drone circling over my house, so I spent the day setting up my laser-controlled tripwire system.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3422
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby jman111 » Fri May 04, 2012 4:22 pm

Dangerousman wrote:I try to avoid changing actual events into "what if" hypothetical situations, because one can always change it into whatever favors one's conclusions.

Where did this guy go?

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Dangerousman » Fri May 04, 2012 4:27 pm

snoqueen wrote:
DCB wrote:
And I'm not going to entertain your sick paranoid fantasies.


Me either.


Fine, but if you want to consider fantasies, the fantasy that just calling 911 is going save your life is a pretty good one. And it's not a harmless fantasy, it's one that gets people killed. How many people have died or suffered by relying on that one fantasy? Encouraging people to rely only on the police is truly sick.

Painful to have your preexisting ideas challenged by a simple question, eh Sno?


Return to “Headlines”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests