Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Dangerousman » Thu May 03, 2012 11:59 am

Bland wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:I know, I know... you can't be bothered with such details when there's an agenda to be pushed.

Unlike you, Dangermouse, who has no agenda, and therefore can be trusted to get all the details right.

By the way, did you learn all them fancy latin terms for logical fallacies before or after you started a thread using anecdotal evidence to prove the position you already assumed was true?


Pretty sure I learned most of what you call "fancy latin terms" in high school but I probably got a more refined understanding of them while taking dozens of courses as a philosophy major as both an undergraduate and graduate student at UW-Madison thirty plus years ago. Thanks for asking though.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby jjoyce » Thu May 03, 2012 12:03 pm

Is the thread losing steam?

It's hard to tell.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:24 am
Location: Revival tent of the live-wire handlers

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Thu May 03, 2012 12:05 pm

It's running out of ammunition.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Dangerousman » Thu May 03, 2012 12:49 pm

jman111 wrote:And how, exactly, was Bland "wrong, as usual"?


Because anyone who attempts to define "vigilantism" as simply "taking the law into your own hands" is giving an incomplete, and therefore inaccurate definition.

There are two different ways to "take the law into your own hands:"

1) with legal authority
2) without legal authority

If you do it without legal authority, then you are indeed a vigilante.

However, acting your own defense or defending another person is not acting "without legal authority." It is acting WITH legal authority because one is specifically authorized to do so by the law itself.

Example: Is a store owner a vigilante if he tackles a shoplifter on the way out of the store? No, and it's because there is a law that recognizes the right of business (and the rest of us) to use a certain amount of force to protect property.

Not too surprisingly, in Wisconsin that law (939.49) comes immediately after the law (939.48) that recognizes that you can use force to protect yourself or another person. Doing so, is acting within one's lawful authority, and therefore NOT vigilantism.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Detritus » Thu May 03, 2012 12:51 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:It's running out of ammunition.

's OK. D-man's been shooting blanks from the get-go anyway.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Dangerousman » Thu May 03, 2012 1:03 pm

Detritus wrote:
Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:It's running out of ammunition.

's OK. D-man's been shooting blanks from the get-go anyway.


Riiighhttt.. just keep telling yourself that.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2664
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Detritus » Thu May 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
Detritus wrote:
Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:It's running out of ammunition.

's OK. D-man's been shooting blanks from the get-go anyway.


Riiighhttt.. just keep telling yourself that.

If'n you had real ammo, you wouldn't have chosen a subject line that begged the question. The examples read differently with a subject line "Using Examples of People Killing Each Other With Guns To Justify My Gunlust."

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Dangerousman » Thu May 03, 2012 2:26 pm

Detritus wrote:If'n you had real ammo, you wouldn't have chosen a subject line that begged the question. The examples read differently with a subject line "Using Examples of People Killing Each Other With Guns To Justify My Gunlust."


If you think "armed citizen defending with guns" is begging the question then you better explain how that is so. What part is questionable? They aren't citizens? They aren't armed with guns? They didn't defend? Do you even understand what "begging the question" is?

You, on the other hand take the commonplace (on here) approach of shooting blanks by not ever addressing the issue and trying to make the person you oppose the issue. I just saw that Henry said the Meade is a masochist in another thread. Typical approach here. I've seen it from day one. Talk about "shooting blanks!" You got nothing so you try to make the issue about the person you oppose. That's weaker than blanks. Pathetic.

If someone claimed there are alligators in Wisconsin and another person claimed there are no alligators, is it begging the question to start giving examples of alligator sightings?

jman111
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3442
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby jman111 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:05 pm

Dangerousman wrote:You got nothing so you try to make the issue about the person you oppose. That's weaker than blanks. Pathetic.

Aw, c'mon. Really?
Dangerousman wrote:Snoqueen, this ain't the 60's. Get off the drugs and you won't hallucinate so much. And grow up.

Dangerousman wrote:Welcome to the real world.

Dangerousman wrote: ...you'll continue to be the 6th grader in a graduate level seminar.

Dangerousman wrote:Alright, I get it. You've collectively decided to take the "let's all act dense" approach. Only one thing, I'm not sure you're acting.

Dangerousman wrote:Sno, the time for love beads and tie-dyed shirts is long past.

Dangerousman wrote:At least I know how to read, which is more than can be said for you, Wag.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby jjoyce » Thu May 03, 2012 3:06 pm

Dangerousman wrote:There are two different ways to "take the law into your own hands:"

1) with legal authority
2) without legal authority


3) The right way.

Image

jman111
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3442
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby jman111 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:14 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
jman111 wrote:And how, exactly, was Bland "wrong, as usual"?

Because anyone who attempts to define "vigilantism" as simply "taking the law into your own hands" is giving an incomplete, and therefore inaccurate definition.

And, yet, somehow your definition is complete and, therefore, accurate?
Dangerousman wrote:Wrong, as usual. Vigilantism means to do something outside of the law or without lawful authority.

So, is exceeding posted speed limits considered vigilantism?

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3421
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu May 03, 2012 3:23 pm

jjoyce wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:There are two different ways to "take the law into your own hands:"

1) with legal authority
2) without legal authority


3) The right way.
Image

4) With divine authority
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Dangerousman » Thu May 03, 2012 3:27 pm

jman111 wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:
jman111 wrote:And how, exactly, was Bland "wrong, as usual"?

Because anyone who attempts to define "vigilantism" as simply "taking the law into your own hands" is giving an incomplete, and therefore inaccurate definition.

And, yet, somehow your definition is complete and, therefore, accurate?
Dangerousman wrote:Wrong, as usual. Vigilantism means to do something outside of the law or without lawful authority.

So, is exceeding posted speed limits considered vigilantism?


Nice try grasshopper. I said it is to do something outside of the law without lawful authority. I did not say it was to do any ol' thing outside of the law....

You can do better than that.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Dangerousman » Thu May 03, 2012 3:29 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
jjoyce wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:There are two different ways to "take the law into your own hands:"

1) with legal authority
2) without legal authority


3) The right way.
Image

4) With divine authority
And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti


Ha! Go to hell, and take your religious crap with ya.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 21213
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Armed Citizens Defending With Guns

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Let me slighty modify my preception of D-Man... an angry, paranoid gun nut. A dangerous man, indeed.


Return to “Headlines”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jman111, Sandi and 4 guests