The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby DCB » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:30 pm

Apparently there have been some violent outbursts in response to the verdict:
Lester Chambers, a seventy-three year-old musician known for his work as a member of The Chambers Brothers, was assaulted on stage at a blues festival last night after he dedicated a song to Trayvon Martin.

http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2013/0 ... on-martin/
Maybe he shouldn't be so uppity.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:34 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
Detritus wrote:If Zimmerman had been black, I seriously doubt he would have had a cc permit & been on the neighborhood watch in Sanford.

That's two completely unsupported assertions.

I don't suppose you have any evidence that actually relates to Florida in general, Sanford in particular, do you?

Also, you might want to look up the definition of "assertion."

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Let's wait and see what the feds do next:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/justi ... review.php

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:07 pm

The more I think about the more I think the trial did exactly what it was supposed to do: make the wannabees think twice or three times before they go hunting.

It's going to be years before Zimmerman's life approaches normal if it ever does. He's got at least one more long court battle coming, probably two, and it's doubtful he'll be have a crack legal team on his side, marginally competent staff on the other, and a stacked jury every time.

Alex Fraser's facebook posting has gone viral.
Dear George Zimmerman,

For the rest of your life you are now going to feel what its like to be a black man in America.

You will feel people stare at you. Judging you for what you think are unfair reasons. You will lose out on getting jobs for something you feel is outside of your control. You will believe yourself to be an upstanding citizen and wonder why people choose to not see that.

People will cross the street when they see you coming. They will call you hurtful names. It will drive you so insane some days that you'll want to scream at the top of your lungs. But you will have to wake up the next day, put on firm look and push through life.

I bet you never thought that by shooting a black male you'd end up inheriting all of his struggles.

Enjoy your "freedom."

Sincerely,

A black male who could've been Trayvon Martin

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:41 pm

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:25 pm

Hang on to that so you can send it to George next spring.

Roy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Roy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:32 pm

snoqueen wrote:Let's wait and see what the feds do next:

That would be a foolish move on the DOJ's part. I don't like to quote Newsmax, so I will only quote Alan Dershowitz's direct quotes.

“I think there were violations of civil rights and civil liberties — by the prosecutor,” said the criminal-law expert. “The prosecutor sent this case to a judge, and willfully, deliberately, and in my view criminally withheld exculpatory evidence.”

“The prosecutor had in her possession photographs that would definitely show a judge that this was not an appropriate case for second-degree murder,”

“That violated a whole range of ethical, professional, and legal obligations that prosecutors have. Moreover, they withheld other evidence in the course of the pretrial and trial proceedings, as has been documented by the defense team,” he said.

If the DOJ wants to lose a case and look like fools then they should go for it.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:32 am

david cohen wrote:When one guy is dead and the other is alive to claim self defense, and there are no eyewitnesses, it's damn tough to get a conviction.

Apparently it's tougher yet to get a conviction when there are eyewitnesses and they're testifying that the guy in the reddish jacket was on his back yelling for help under the taller guy who was beating the crap out of him. Just no justice is there?

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:42 am

rabble wrote:Hang around for the civil suit. That's bound to be a barrel of laughs.

I don't know what humors you, but it would at least be interesting considering Florida law grants immunity from civil lawsuit to a person who was found to have acted in self-defense and gives that person the right to collect attorney fees, costs, and loss of wages from the person who sues. Trayvon's parents might be wise to just hang on to the money paid to them by the insurer of the homeowners' association rather than risk having to pay it to George Zimmerman. Because if that is what happens it will be tragic in the eyes of some people and funny in the eyes of others. But they're free to proceed at their own peril.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:28 am

Dangerousman wrote:
rabble wrote:Hang around for the civil suit. That's bound to be a barrel of laughs.

I don't know what humors you, but it would at least be interesting considering Florida law grants immunity from civil lawsuit to a person who was found to have acted in self-defense and gives that person the right to collect attorney fees, costs, and loss of wages from the person who sues. Trayvon's parents might be wise to just hang on to the money paid to them by the insurer of the homeowners' association rather than risk having to pay it to George Zimmerman. Because if that is what happens it will be tragic in the eyes of some people and funny in the eyes of others. But they're free to proceed at their own peril.

Speaking of civil suits: Zimmerman lawyer to move ‘asap’ against NBC News

GordonFreeman
Forum Addict

Postby GordonFreeman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:30 am

If Showtime has any schnutz, they'll re-do one of this last seasons episodes:

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:31 am

Detritus wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:
Detritus wrote:If Zimmerman had been black, I seriously doubt he would have had a cc permit & been on the neighborhood watch in Sanford.

That's two completely unsupported assertions.

I don't suppose you have any evidence that actually relates to Florida in general, Sanford in particular, do you?

Also, you might want to look up the definition of "assertion."

I don't have any information about whether blacks in Florida are denied CC permits or the makeup of the participants in the Sanford neighborhood watch program. Do you? You said you "seriously doubt." So that sounds like an assertion to me as opposed to "just kinda wondering whether..." What is the basis for your serious doubt?

I'm fairly certain that if there was an indication that the state denied CC licenses based on race you'd have the Justice Department and the NRA all over them. So if you have reason to believe it's occurring, by all means turn over the evidence so someone can begin to fight racist practices!

Maybe if you want to hunt for race-based denials of concealed carry licenses you'd have better luck starting in the "may issue" states of California, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Hawaii, Rhode Island, Delaware and Maryland. That "may issue" system seems to be much riper for abuse or arbitrary denial of licenses. Better yet, start with New York City's concealed carry license practices. They won't honor other NY state-issued licenses. Apparently the only people in New York City deemed worthy to carry guns for protection are the very rich and well-connected. That's right, the people who live in the nicest and safest areas and who can afford private security seem to face the greatest threat and get to carry a gun for protection-- not the people who live in East New York, Brownsville and a few other high-crime neighborhoods of the city. After all, it would be a huge tragedy if Donald Trump or Robert De Niro got robbed or beaten or killed but not so much if it's one of the faceless people in East Harlem and Bedford–Stuyvesant whose lives-- or maybe bank accounts-- don't really matter.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:35 am

Rich Schultz wrote:Speaking of civil suits: Zimmerman lawyer to move ‘asap’ against NBC News

Greatly increasing the odds that the "made for TV movie" will be on ABC or Lifetime or A&E.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:17 am

On the other hand, the State's Attorney and the Evidence Dummy have been invited to appear on "Dancing With The Stars".

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:12 am

Dangerousman wrote:
david cohen wrote:When one guy is dead and the other is alive to claim self defense, and there are no eyewitnesses, it's damn tough to get a conviction.

Apparently it's tougher yet to get a conviction when there are eyewitnesses and they're testifying that the guy in the reddish jacket was on his back yelling for help under the taller guy who was beating the crap out of him. Just no justice is there?

Translation: It's OK to stand your ground with a gun, but not with your fists.

Return to “Headlines”