The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1539
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby HawkHead » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:18 am

This really makes me think about vacationing in FL or how we "do" vacations in FL.

I guess if we go to Disneyworld again we will stay on property the whole time and not go off for fear of being thought of as strangers and shot. Hope it isn't raining or dark walking back from the beach to our rental car. It's not even worth the risk.

Better yet, we can go to Disneyland.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3538
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby FJD » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:50 am

Rich Schultz wrote:My point of view? Lynch mobs suck.


Especially when they try and lynch a 17 year old kid who has been dead for over a year.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9947
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:36 am

Rich Schultz wrote:My point of view? Lynch mobs suck. Even the liberal ones.


Initially, nobody was charged with a crime. The public outcry came several weeks later because there was no action by the DA, the story gained traction on facebook.

It seems like manslaughter, at least, is strongly indicated. The public was right to raise a fuss.

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Ninja » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:58 am

If this situation hadn't turned into fodder for pundits and comedians then the Department of Justice would likely now be conducting a quiet, serious, professional investigation and filing civil rights charges again Mr. Martin and probably the city of Sanford.

Instead we get a show trial in a kangaroo court complete with jokes and tricks and nonstop "news" reports that only serve to confuse the situation. And we get grounds for an appeal if Zimmerman is convicted because the state charges were pursued in such stupid, unprofessional way. And Zimmerman's defenders will always be able to point to that stupid, unprofessional behavior as a way to insist that he got railroaded if he's convicted. And there will likely be violence regardless of the outcome because this has become such a huge national obsession.

There's nothing good about letting a serious matter become the flavor of the day for our dishonest, incompetent mass media.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3538
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby FJD » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:12 am

Ninja wrote:Instead we get a show trial in a kangaroo court complete with jokes and tricks and nonstop "news" reports that only serve to confuse the situation.


hey now, Nelson does not want to hear the word "tricks" again

I get why you don't like the circus, and I agree, but your shoutingto hold back the tide. The media didn't create this circus in a vacuum, plenty of rubes demanded it.

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:22 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Ninja » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:23 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I get why you don't like the circus, and I agree, but your shoutingto hold back the tide. The media didn't create this circus in a vacuum, plenty of rubes demanded it.


You're right, but it's a chicken and egg situation. Is the media serving the demand created by the rubes, or is the media creating that demand by focusing on the stories that are sexy or splattered in blood and then dumbing them down to be palatable for the rubes?

That's how I feel about politics and public policy becoming part of the entertainment industry in general. It's absolutely destroying this country, but people love it. We're amusing ourselves to death and we have no interest in changing.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:34 pm

Ninja wrote:or is the media creating that demand by focusing on the stories that are sexy or splattered in blood and then dumbing them down to be palatable for the rubes?


Yes. I've seen one clip from the trial, and that was the clusterfuck of an opening when the attorney told a joke. I refuse to watch any of the dipshit pundits give their opinion on this or pretty much anything. It's all sensationalism.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9462
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby rabble » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:51 pm

Okay, I have to ask. The way I thought this thing worked out was the incident happened and the police not only accepted Zimmerman's story, they never verified any of it and did not investigate.

The family made noise, which made it to the internet where it took off, forcing the police to investigate and along the way creating a media circus.

This led me to believe that had the police done their jobs in the first place there would be no media circus.

Am I wrong about that?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9947
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Yes, this sensational media circus has attracted a bad element, people offering heated opinions in online forums and comment sections. The worst of humanity is on display.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9947
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:42 pm

rabble wrote:This led me to believe that had the police done their jobs in the first place there would be no media circus.


This is pretty obviously the case.

Zimmerman is no dummy, I'm beginning to believe. He really did a good job keeping his composure and explaining himself to police.

I don't have any strong opinion about Zimmerman's character, other than for sure he was reckless and caused a death. He might be an OK guy, not necessarily hateful or racist.

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 am

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Huckleby wrote:
rabble wrote:This led me to believe that had the police done their jobs in the first place there would be no media circus.


This is pretty obviously the case.

Zimmerman is no dummy, I'm beginning to believe. He really did a good job keeping his composure and explaining himself to police.

I don't have any strong opinion about Zimmerman's character, other than for sure he was reckless and caused a death. He might be an OK guy, not necessarily hateful or racist.


I have an opinion about Zimmerman: hes a minority, a democrat, and an Obama voter. Opinion being, this is how liberals treat their own.

FJD
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3538
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby FJD » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Bludgeon wrote:I have an opinion about Zimmerman: hes a minority, a democrat, and an Obama voter. Opinion being, this is how liberals treat their own.


They hold them acountable for their crimes? Oh for shame!!!!! Thanks for clarifying the GOP view on responsibility though.

edit: hide Bludg's comments for those more sensitive to asshatery.
Last edited by FJD on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7982
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison
Contact:

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:28 pm

I think dear Bludge was just hammering home Huck's point by demonstrating racist and hateful behavior. BTW if you don't enjoy these precious thoughtful quips you can put him on block. if not please refrain from quoting this nonsense.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 6073
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm
Contact:

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:42 pm

Fer fuck sake must everything be turned into politics. How is this possibly a liberal vs. conservative issue?

Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 am

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Fer fuck sake must everything be turned into politics. How is this possibly a liberal vs. conservative issue?


Um, how is it anything but? Ask Al Sharpton and Barack Obama.


Return to “Headlines”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests