The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:40 pm

The defense attorney is doing an awful job, making Rachel "Mumbles" Jeantel into a more and more sympathetic figure.

Overall, I think Zimmerman is guilty as sin - his thuggish behavior led to the death of Martin - but the problem is I don't know what he is guilty of. Self-defense is plausible, yet that doesn't mean Zimmerman was innocent of wrong doing. I think Zimmerman committed murder, but perhaps only some lesser crime can be proven within a shadow of a doubt.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:49 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure what sort of court room strategy is involved in getting an all female jury then harrassing the shit out of a young woman in front of them.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:05 pm

Man, this girl is a moron.

The killing was a rare occurrence: thug wanna be crossed paths with Barney Fife. They threw down, and, on this night, thug wanna be lost.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:12 pm

Trayvon Martin is a thug-wanna-be? Pot smoking? The hoodie? skittles? Your profiling is Zimmermanesque.

I know Barney Fife. His poster is hanging in my office. George Zimmerman is no Barney Fife.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:48 pm

I know, I know. It's always the "cracker's" fault.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:52 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Man, this girl is a moron.

The killing was a rare occurrence: thug wanna be crossed paths with Barney Fife. They threw down, and, on this night, thug wanna be lost.

Sure sounds like murder to me. Or is it now legal to kill someone when "throwing down"? Or is it only legal if you are Barney Fife? or if your victim is a Thug Wanna be?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:05 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Man, this girl is a moron.

Sure sounds like murder to me. Or is it now legal to kill someone when "throwing down"? Or is it only legal if you are Barney Fife? or if your victim is a Thug Wanna be?

They were fighting. Either one could have been killed. That is my point.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:19 pm

They were fighting. The guy with a gun stalked, confronted and killed an underage kid.

Either one could have been killed but it was the the unarmed kid, minding his own business, who died.

Huh.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:23 pm

rabble wrote:They were fighting. The guy with a gun stalked, confronted and killed an underage kid.

Either one could have been killed but it was the the unarmed kid, minding his own business, who died.

Huh.

That's about as one-sided a take as a person could have. I guess that's why there's a trial.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:25 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
rabble wrote:They were fighting. The guy with a gun stalked, confronted and killed an underage kid.

Huh.

That's about as one-sided a take as a person could have. I guess that's why there's a trial.

Oh? Something in my post wasn't true? Do tell.

And you know for a fact he was a thug wannabe, huh? That was a completely unbiased, two sided comment.

HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:47 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I know, I know. It's always the "cracker's" fault.

Well there was George's 911 call and the cell phone to Jeantel that seem to prove that George was following/stalking Trayvon.

If he hadn't, or kept his distance or stayed in the car neither person would have been hurt.

I kind of agree with Huck. Not sure if 2nd degree murder can be proved because the best witness to the crime is dead. Seems morel like a manslaughter case to me.

I am guessing that George won't go on the witness stand because the prosecution won't be able to have a witness to say without a shadow of a doubt that George started the fight and was on top of Trayvon.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:48 pm

Ned Flanders wrote: That's about as one-sided a take as a person could have. I guess that's why there's a trial.

The trial is not going to decide whether Zimmerman acted in a despicable fashion. A jury in this case decides whether it can be proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he did not act in self defense. That's a high bar.

I expect Zimmerman will get off, but he certainly did act as a dangerous, creepy-ass cracker. Why you demonize Martin as a "thug wanna be" and speak affectionately of Zimmerman as "Barney Fife" is strange.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:52 pm

Huckleby wrote:I expect Zimmerman will get off, but he certainly did act as a dangerous, creepy-ass cracker. Why you demonize Martin as a "thug wanna be" and speak affectionately of Zimmerman as "Barney Fife" is strange.

If by "off" you mean not serve time, yeah I agree. I think the final verdict will set him up for one or two civil suits, though.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:56 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote: That's about as one-sided a take as a person could have. I guess that's why there's a trial.

The trial is not going to decide whether Zimmerman acted in a despicable fashion. A jury in this case decides whether it can be proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he did not act in self defense. That's a high bar.

I expect Zimmerman will get off, but he certainly did act as a dangerous, creepy-ass cracker. Why you demonize Martin as a "thug wanna be" and speak affectionately of Zimmerman as "Barney Fife" is strange.

They were equally cartoonish descriptions of both parties: Zimmerman the busybody in a development with considerable crime, while Martin was a kid with multiple suspensions, a pot smoker and possible burglar. My point was that two characters came in contact with each other on a specific day, struggled and one ended up dead. No need to parse my post any further in attempt to run it by some race-neutral purity test or some other such nonsense.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:57 pm

actually, if Zimmerman gets off, he quite likely will be murdered.

I have some sympathy for Zimmerman, I don't hate him, maybe he is more of a fool than a bad guy. But I turn on him when I hear knuckleheads paint him as a victim.

Return to “Headlines”