The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7704
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby rabble » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Dangerousman wrote: I saw no evidence.

That's because you didn't want to. That "If I just ignore it, maybe it'll go away" tactic doesn't always work.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:41 pm

rabble wrote:
Dangerousman wrote: I saw no evidence.

That's because you didn't want to. That "If I just ignore it, maybe it'll go away" tactic doesn't always work.


It's pretty easy to ignore something that isn't there. Where's the evidence? Making an assertion is NOT evidence.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7704
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby rabble » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:58 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
rabble wrote:
Dangerousman wrote: I saw no evidence.

That's because you didn't want to. That "If I just ignore it, maybe it'll go away" tactic doesn't always work.


It's pretty easy to ignore something that isn't there. Where's the evidence? Making an assertion is NOT evidence.

You mean Zimmerman's assertion that he had a bad memory? Huh.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:09 pm

rabble wrote:You mean Zimmerman's assertion that he had a bad memory? Huh.


:D You didn't pick a very good counterexample. Zimmerman's assertion that he has a bad memory has easily verified evidence to support it: He has ADD and is taking 20mg of Adderall daily. Wouldn't be hard for the authorities to verify if that's true.

Try again.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7704
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby rabble » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:14 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
rabble wrote:You mean Zimmerman's assertion that he had a bad memory? Huh.


:D You didn't pick a very good counterexample. Zimmerman's assertion that he has a bad memory has easily verified evidence to support it: He has ADD and is taking 20mg of Adderall daily. Wouldn't be hard for the authorities to verify if that's true.

Try again.

Once again: You can choose to throw out evidence that doesn't support your conclusion. Use any rationalizations you care to. It ain't gonna change what's going on.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3883
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm
Contact:

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
jonnygothispen wrote:the NRA, whose board of directors and high officials are made up of gun and ammo manufacturers that benefit directly from relaxed gun laws


I suppose Al Gore's talk about "global warming" ought to be disregarded on the grounds that he's benefited greatly financially from it. Also the physicians on the board of directors of the American Heart Association and the American Cancer Society who benefit from all those scare tactics... right?
it didn't take you long to locate the appropriate straw men in defense of the NRA...

scratch
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:00 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby scratch » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Dangerousman wrote:Zimmerman's assertion that he has a bad memory has easily verified evidence to support it: He has ADD and is taking 20mg of Adderall daily. Wouldn't be hard for the authorities to verify if that's true.


Sounds like the kind of guy I'd want wandering around the neighborhood at night packing heat.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:30 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:
jonnygothispen wrote:the NRA, whose board of directors and high officials are made up of gun and ammo manufacturers that benefit directly from relaxed gun laws


I suppose Al Gore's talk about "global warming" ought to be disregarded on the grounds that he's benefited greatly financially from it. Also the physicians on the board of directors of the American Heart Association and the American Cancer Society who benefit from all those scare tactics... right?
it didn't take you long to locate the appropriate straw men in defense of the NRA...


The "everything is made of straw" tactic is getting old jonny. Don't you have anything better to fall back on?

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:32 pm

babble wrote:Once again: You can choose to throw out evidence that doesn't support your conclusion. Use any rationalizations you care to. It ain't gonna change what's going on.


Again, I can't throw out evidence when there is none. Link to where you provided evidence. Quote yourself. Do something besides just looking stupid. Do you have a large invisible rabbit? What is it?

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:40 pm

scratch wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:Zimmerman's assertion that he has a bad memory has easily verified evidence to support it: He has ADD and is taking 20mg of Adderall daily. Wouldn't be hard for the authorities to verify if that's true.


Sounds like the kind of guy I'd want wandering around the neighborhood at night packing heat.


Right, that fidgeting in the seat from ADD really ought to disqualify someone from gun ownership. I'm surprised they don't ask about it on the Form 4473. :roll:

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3883
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:53 pm
Contact:

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Your continual use of straw men proves that it's not old, but rather the only escape hatch you have. If you want to avoid the straw man argument, stop using it.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7704
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby rabble » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:53 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
babble wrote:Once again: You can choose to throw out evidence that doesn't support your conclusion. Use any rationalizations you care to. It ain't gonna change what's going on.


Again, I can't throw out evidence when there is none. Link to where you provided evidence. Quote yourself. Do something besides just looking stupid. Do you have a large invisible rabbit? What is it?

All I got is a guy who admits to having a bad memory. Some folks might think that means his memory is bad, and therefore his account of events is suspect. You, however, can believe - or say - anything ya want.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Dangerousman » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:48 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:Your continual use of straw men proves that it's not old, but rather the only escape hatch you have. If you want to avoid the straw man argument, stop using it.


I'm convinced you're probably clueless about what a "straw man" argument is; but I suspect that you've heard the term somewhere and you have decided to assign it to anything someone says to which you have no other response. If you can't give the proper definition of "straw man" and then explain how someone's argument fits that definition, then your continual assignment of the "straw man" accusation is very hollow and unpersuasive. So you better give up your hopes of going far with that approach unless you're wiling to demonstrate how every instance you claim is a straw man actually is one.

Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby Dangerousman » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:54 pm

rabble wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:
babble wrote:Once again: You can choose to throw out evidence that doesn't support your conclusion. Use any rationalizations you care to. It ain't gonna change what's going on.


Again, I can't throw out evidence when there is none. Link to where you provided evidence. Quote yourself. Do something besides just looking stupid. Do you have a large invisible rabbit? What is it?

All I got is a guy who admits to having a bad memory. Some folks might think that means his memory is bad, and therefore his account of events is suspect. You, however, can believe - or say - anything ya want.


You tried to tie in ADD with memory of recent events. I simply pointed out that I don't know if the effects of ADD might have an effect on the recollection of events. Just because ADD might affect the memory of a street name, one can't jump to the conclusion, as you evidently are willing to do, that it also effects one's ability to recall the details of an experience. You haven't claimed to be an expert on ADD, so why ought we be persuaded that his ADD memory issues could include issues about event memory?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 7704
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby rabble » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Dangerousman wrote:You tried to tie in ADD with memory of recent events. I simply pointed out that I don't know if the effects of ADD might have an effect on the recollection of events. Just because ADD might affect the memory of a street name, one can't jump to the conclusion, as you evidently are willing to do, that it also effects one's ability to recall the details of an experience. You haven't claimed to be an expert on ADD, so why ought we be persuaded that his ADD memory issues could include issues about event memory?

The only thing I tied was "memory" to "bad." You're the one who decided the ADD was the only thing I mentioned. You're still ignoring the "I've got a bad memory" statement.

And that's fine. It doesn't support your conclusion. Therefore we should talk about ADD.


Return to “Headlines”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Henry Vilas and 6 guests