The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:36 am

Remember_Me wrote:Trayvon's parents trademarking their slain son's name in slogans... it's been disgusting.

Maybe you could write a book on proper behavior for parents whose children have been murdered and who have spent weeks thinking the killer was going to get away with it, and then suddenly find themselves in the national spotlight. I'm sure they'd appreciate the guidance from those of us who have not lost any children and therefore know what behavior is disgusting and what is normal during the stages of trauma and grief.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:13 am

rabble wrote:
Remember_Me wrote:Trayvon's parents trademarking their slain son's name in slogans... it's been disgusting.

Maybe you could write a book on proper behavior for parents whose children have been murdered and who have spent weeks thinking the killer was going to get away with it, and then suddenly find themselves in the national spotlight. I'm sure they'd appreciate the guidance from those of us who have not lost any children and therefore know what behavior is disgusting and what is normal during the stages of trauma and grief.

It's not exactly a new event for national attention to focus on the death of a child and parents to be in the spotlight because of it. Has any parent ever trademarked their dead child's name before? I don't know about disgusting, but it does seem rather cold blooded.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:18 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:It's not exactly a new event for national attention to focus on the death of a child and parents to be in the spotlight because of it. Has any parent ever trademarked their dead child's name before? I don't know about disgusting, but it does seem rather cold blooded.

You see cold-blooded, I see parents reacting bizarrely to a trauma I can only imagine, even if it's an everyday occurrence for some of us.

Some people don't recover from this sort of thing, ever. Some gradually do.

I personally think the only people who have any basis for criticism are those of us with dead kids, but I know that's not going to stop most of us from doing it anyway.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:25 pm

Well, there's another possibility - that Trayvon's parents took out the trademark to prevent the unscrupulous from exploiting his name.

Which would not be coldblooded nor bizarre. But I forget - these are black people we are talking about, so their motives are inherently suspect and alien to 'us.'

Jesus H. Christ but white people are fucking obtuse.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:30 pm

Marvell wrote:Well, there's another possibility - that Trayvon's parents took out the trademark to prevent the unscrupulous from exploiting his name.

Which would not be coldblooded nor bizarre. But I forget - these are black people we are talking about, so their motives are inherently suspect and alien to 'us.'

That occurred to me after I posted, but didn't want to go back and change it. Maybe I should have. But once I get obtuse it takes me a while to get tuse.

Reminds me of the story that Stephen King's wife had bought the van that ran him down. There were all sorts of stories about why, but the most logical one - that she bought it so nobody else could buy it and sell pieces of it on ebay - didn't get much play.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:19 pm

Isn't the message "JUSTICE FOR TRAYVON" more important than the people who might make a few bucks from spreading it?

Or should the parents be the only ones to profit from such a message?

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:35 pm

rabble wrote:Maybe you could write a book on proper behavior for parents whose children have been murdered and who have spent weeks thinking the killer was going to get away with it, and then suddenly find themselves in the national spotlight.

It's in the works. Just waiting on my attorneys to get around the copyright and trademark issues.

And if you look at my full quote, it's not just the parent's actions I cited as "disgusting". In fact, I mentioned them last for a reason:

The misinformation and sensationalism... from BOTH sides, had to start unraveling at some point. The divide all that nonsense created only makes this tragedy that much worse. Everything from the fake and outdated pictures to Trayvon's parents trademarking their slain son's name in slogans... it's been disgusting.

Probably would have served the parents better had they taken the Oscar Grant approach to their son's death. I'm less concerned with the parents actions as I am with the media and extremists who have turned this into a debacle of epic proportions creating a further racial divide in this country.

This could have been a learning and bonding experience and opportunity to re-examine the things I mentioned earlier.

Now if you'll excuse me, my Obtusion For Honkys 101 class starts in 20 minutes and I'm going to be late.

bcs89
Forum Addict

Postby bcs89 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:01 pm

Marvell wrote:Well, there's another possibility - that Trayvon's parents took out the trademark to prevent the unscrupulous from exploiting his name.

Fuck'n eh right!

Nothing worse then some racist asshole who makes broad, sweeping judgments about an entire group of people!

(you know, like being inherently suspect of black peoples motives)*

*Sorry, wanted to make sure you understood which side I was on there..

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:47 pm

Sorry, apparently I'm so obtuse (and naive) that it never actually occurred to me that they might have to protect their son's name.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:54 pm

Remember_Me wrote:And if you look at my full quote, it's not just the parent's actions I cited as "disgusting". In fact, I mentioned them last for a reason:

I didn't overlook anything. I don't care if you're disgusted about the other stuff. That's fine. What a grieving parent does, that's a different story. So that's what I wrote about.

I don't care if you mention them first, last or anything else. You don't have the right to criticize any more than I do.

Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:34 am

Meanwhile, in other news...

7 California boys arrested in attack on teen
By Associated Press Published: Mar 30, 2012 at 10:20 PM PDT

PALMDALE, Calif. (AP) - Seven black teens have been arrested on suspicion that they committed a hate crime when they attacked a 15-year-old Hispanic boy while he was walking home from school in Southern California, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office.

The March 14 beating in Palmdale was captured on video and posted on YouTube, but has since been removed from the site. The seven boys, ages 13 to 16, were arrested Wednesday for investigation of assault and committing a hate crime, Lt. Don Ford said.

The attack happened near Cactus Middle School, but Ford didn't know if any of the teens involved were students there.

The video shows as many as 10 boys surrounding the victim and challenging him to a fight. The suspects then began hitting the teen while others watched.

During the beating, the teens made racially derogatory statements that were captured on the video, Ford said.

After the victim fell to the ground, the assailants kicked him multiple times in the head, knocked out several teeth and left shoe impressions on his skin, Ford said.

The victim was able to get to his feet and escape the onslaught, and will need to undergo dental surgery.

The teens who were arrested were identified from the video, which was discovered by a Palmdale sheriff's deputy and has been retained for evidence. Authorities are not releasing the video.

Police are seeking three more suspects.

An arraignment date has not been set yet.

http://www.katu.com/news/national/7-Cal ... 86335.html

Farrakhan, Jackson, and Sharpton are reportedly busy not rushing to the scene.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:33 am

I'm pretty sure everyone here knows that you're an unapologetic racist douchebag, Fester. It's nice to see that you were able to take a break from boiling with rage over Muslims in order to spend some time boiling with rage over those Black teens. But I think you missed the point (surprise!)

I'm not sure if you noticed, but the Trayvon Martin story isn't really so much about a white guy shooting a Black kid. It's about a law which seems to protect trigger happy vigilantes and a police department which didn't seem so interested in collecting evidence following a homicide. There are undoubtedly a great deal of racial overtones to the story, but pointing out that some Black kids beat up some Hispanic kid in California is hardly a response to whether you can go out looking for a confrontation and then shoot someone when you find it.

I guess we could spend 50 pages posting news stories of Blacks and Whites behaving badly, but they'd be rather irrelevant to the story at hand.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:38 am

pjbogart wrote:I'm not sure if you noticed, but the Trayvon Martin story isn't really so much about a white guy shooting a Black kid. It's about a law which seems to protect trigger happy vigilantes and a police department which didn't seem so interested in collecting evidence following a homicide.

Yeah, I kinda have a problem with someone killing someone else, no questions asked. And a police force that doesn't ask questions.

Twinner
Forum Addict

Postby Twinner » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:25 pm

How is this story relevant to the topic of a vigilante shooting? It isn't. Go back to bed with your father.
Uncle Fester wrote:Meanwhile, in other news...
7 California boys arrested in attack on teen
By Associated Press Published: Mar 30, 2012 at 10:20 PM PDT

PALMDALE, Calif. (AP) - Seven black teens have been arrested on suspicion that they committed a hate crime when they attacked a 15-year-old Hispanic boy
http://www.katu.com/news/national/7-Cal ... 86335.html

Farrakhan, Jackson, and Sharpton are reportedly busy not rushing to the scene.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:34 pm

DCB wrote:Yeah, I kinda have a problem with someone killing someone else, no questions asked. And a police force that doesn't ask questions.

It's now up to the feds.

Trayvon Martin's Parents Seek Federal Review Of Prosecutor

Trayvon Martin's parents will ask the U.S. Justice Department to review a local Florida prosecutor's interactions with police investigating the teen's shooting death, the family's lawyer said.

The Justice Department launched an investigation into Martin's death on March 19, but the family is now asking it to look for possible interference by State's Attorney Norm Wolfinger's office with Sanford, Florida, Police Detective Chris Serino...

Return to “Headlines”