The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:24 am

We don't have to label the entire person's entire life, anyway. One event or action can show racism and another can be more neutral or even respectful.

We're all a mix, every one of us. However, to call out times when someone acted in a non-race-neutral way is not, itself, evidence of racism. That's just nonsense. The counterpoint, pretending not to see racism, is not evidence of not being racist, either.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:52 am

HawkHead wrote:Just to be clear, I don't know if GZ acted in a racist way but listing all the nice things he has done for a specific race or group doesn't mean he isn't racist.

A simpler question is whether his behavior was racially biased. Did he profile a stranger based solely or largely based on race? I'm pretty sure he did. Which is certainly not negated by any close personal relationships with other African-Americans. People are complicated. You can make stupid decisions, even w/o being a 'racist'.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:17 pm

snoqueen wrote:The counterpoint, pretending not to see racism, is not evidence of not being racist, either.

How about pretending not to see a pattern, which in this case was a series of burglaries committed by young black males.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:33 pm

Rich Schultz wrote:
snoqueen wrote:The counterpoint, pretending not to see racism, is not evidence of not being racist, either.

How about pretending not to see a pattern, which in this case was a series of burglaries committed by young black males.

How about pretending that every young black male you see must be one of those black males because he's black and wearing a hoodie?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:35 pm

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:04 pm

I'm not saying that all white males are psychotic, homicidal maniacs. But I always call the police when I see them in my neighborhood.

DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:15 pm

More aggressive public safety in Florida:
Middleton, 60, of the 200 block of Shadow Lawn Lane in Warrington, was shot in the leg about 2:42 a.m. Saturday while trying to retrieve a cigarette from his mother’s car in the driveway of their home.
He said he backed out of the vehicle with his hands raised, but when he turned to face the deputies, they immediately opened fire.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:56 pm

DCB has a good point. I definitely see a pattern here: white males and mass murders. Seems to happen with considerable regularity, in fact.

Why doesn't that trip your danger alert, Rich?

Given that we've already seen plenty of data in this forum showing most shootings are either black-on-black or white-on-white, if you're a white guy I'd say you have less to worry about from a black shooter than a white shooter.

GordonFreeman

Postby GordonFreeman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:02 pm

Zpussy's a darkie?! Well that explains a lot.
Last edited by GordonFreeman on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:27 pm

Gordon, fix that. It's not acceptable.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:12 am

DCB wrote:I'm not saying that all white males are psychotic, homicidal maniacs. But I always call the police when I see them in my neighborhood.

Video of Violent, Rioting Surfers Shows White Culture of Lawlessness

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:32 am

Detritus wrote:
DCB wrote:I'm not saying that all white males are psychotic, homicidal maniacs. But I always call the police when I see them in my neighborhood.

Video of Violent, Rioting Surfers Shows White Culture of Lawlessness

Wow! Talk about throwing stones from glass houses.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:13 am

"The vastly inordinate rates of criminality in parts of the inner city cannot serve as an alternate exegesis to racism to explain why Americans of all races make the necessary adjustments of where, when, and how they navigate. That thoughtcrime is “racist.”

Yet it is an old thoughtcrime dating back at least to Daniel Patrick Moynihan’s 1965 paper titled “The Negro Family: the Case for National Action,” which predicted our present tragedies based on the government-fed dissolution of the black family through much higher than average rates of illegitimacy, single-parent households, and rates of criminality and incarceration. After that, Moynihan was persona non grata for two decades: not for lying, but for not lying. None of this is to deny the burdens of racism and the fumes of it that persist; only to suggest that a half-century after the start of the Great Society there is only so much government can do, or rather there is too much government can do — and we are not supposed to say that.
http://pjmedia.com/victordavishanson/life-in-the-twilight/2/

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:40 am

pjmedia, Negro, 1965, opinion.

Why don't you just post your own opinions in your own words about black people?

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:29 am

Henry Vilas wrote:pjmedia, Negro, 1965, opinion.

Why don't you just post your own opinions in your own words about black people?

Rich is still struggling with "dog" and "cat." he has no words of his own for an adult topic.

Return to “Headlines”