Today in What The Hell Is Wrong With People?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Today in What The Hell Is Wrong With People?

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:42 pm

If there's any doubt that these right-wing nutbags are trying to establish a theocracy, here's more proof... on the backs of dead service men and women.

Completely beyond the pale. Way fucking beyond.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:31 pm

And (not surprisingly) playing the victim, to boot.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:47 pm

jman111 wrote:And (not surprisingly) playing the victim, to boot.

Amazing, isn't it? It's almost as if they worship victimhood....

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:54 pm

ilikebeans wrote:If there's any doubt that these right-wing nutbags are trying to establish a theocracy, here's more proof...

Trying?

Just how big a two by four do we need to get hit with? They aren't trying, they've done it. What's happening now is enforcement and adjustment. They enforce, we adjust.

If you don't think so, just watch how easily they get away with this.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:29 pm

Reading further into the article, I am pleased to see the VA is standing up to these fanatics... at least so far.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:11 pm

Seriously, when can we get around to giving that sorry excuse for a state back to Mexico?

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:32 pm

minicat wrote:Seriously, when can we get around to giving that sorry excuse for a state back to Mexico?

Airlift Austin out, then wall off the rest of it. Not really joking.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:36 pm

After serving and dying for one's country the soldier and their family SHOULD be able to state what that religious affiliation is, if any. I come from a family with a lot of military service. What they want at a funeral needs to focus on what THEY want. They paid the price, they get to make the call. AND, I will see to it that their wishes are carried out.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:25 am

Unless I am missing the point of the article, much of the debate seems to be about what the default setting should be for a military funeral - secular or religious. This is quite easily solved. THERE SHOULD BE NO DEFAULT SETTING. If someone cared enough to serve their country, their wishes or the wishes of their family should be known before they get through basic training. The family should not have to know that they have to ask for a religious, or non-religious funeral.

I did find the concept of atheist chaplains a little humorous though. Isn't that a psychologist? I think the army has those.

Twinner
Forum Addict

Postby Twinner » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:15 pm

Igor wrote:Unless I am missing the point of the article, much of the debate seems to be about what the default setting should be for a military funeral - secular or religious. This is quite easily solved. THERE SHOULD BE NO DEFAULT SETTING. If someone cared enough to serve their country, their wishes or the wishes of their family should be known before they get through basic training. The family should not have to know that they have to ask for a religious, or non-religious funeral.

As a 13 year Army vet I can tell you this: add it to the mobilization packet. Every year, regardless of unit status, every member of a unit has to review EVERY document in their mobilization packet. There's one for a will and the death and survivor benefits already. It might be a grim thing to add but is a definitely necessary document outlining the who/what/where/when of your funeral.

Return to “Headlines”