Racist attack @ Milwaukee State Fair

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Racist attack @ Milwaukee State Fair

Postby David Blaska » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:09 pm

supaunknown wrote:Pick a side and stick to it. Irrefutable evidence contradicting your viewpoint is only deniable if you agree with it, dig?

I see your problem, superunknown.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:16 pm

David Blaska wrote:scary scary stuff

And your answer isn't to increase social services and outlets for support, but to defund and eliminate them in favor of the Cocoon crew going out there and shooing the ragamuffins with their walkers?

Leave it to the professionals, and give the professionals the tools (your boy W's favorite word) to do their jobs well.

Also, can we end the use of "kick the can down the road" immediately?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:37 pm

David Blaska wrote:My liberal acquaintances, if you have statistics to the contrary please post them.

Go to the mirror, boy.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Meadowood Park is a lab of sorts right now. Neighbors are developing programs -- like flag football -- that try to deliberately put at-risk kids in contact with mentors. They're seeking volunteers.

Jeez, if we only knew someone who lived nearby with some extra time on his hands.

There's also a neighborhood walk TONIGHT and every Monday in August, 6 pm from the Meadowood Neighborhood Center. They're handing out coupons to kids in the community who show positive attitudes (first point of contact). The kids can redeem the coupons at the neighborhood center for t-shirts (second point). If you see a kid wearing a neighborhood t-shirt, you're encouraged to ask him/her what they did to get it (third point).

The impetus is an organization called "Project Meadowood." Here's the mission:
Project Meadowood is a laid back, down to earth, real group that has “been there”. We believe in neighborhood safety, neighborhood inclusion and active participation in the community. We support activities and events that promote respect of community, others, property and ourselves.

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:31 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Don't encourage more kids to use the park--make sure fewer kids can use the park.

Don't keep more people out of prison--put more people in prison.

Don't increase access to employment benefits and health care to those who don't have collective bargaining--oppose collective bargaining for those who do have it, and oppose all universal healthcare.

Sensing a trend here? It's called "A Rising Tide Sinks All Boats Because We've Anchored Them Down. Also, Only Little Boats Will Be Anchored. After All, There's Expensive Carpet In Those Big Boats That Needs To Stay Dry."

Good post, but you should add something about don't involve more marginalized people in political decisions so that everyone gets better representation and ownership of those difficult decisions--erect barriers to suppress the vote as much as possible within those groups in hopes of disenfranchising them further.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:39 pm

I am saying that people own their own safety and that adults do not have the luxury or the option to subcontract the comity of their neighborhoods to third parties, including the police.

These are words. I am trying to imagine what actions these words refer to.

All I can picture is a bunch of middle aged white guys marching around the neighborhood park doing "open carry."

Am I so stupid I don't get what you're trying to describe, or am I right?

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:49 pm

snoqueen wrote:
I am saying that people own their own safety and that adults do not have the luxury or the option to subcontract the comity of their neighborhoods to third parties, including the police.

I've given my answer, sno.
jman111 wrote:Vigilante Blaska to the rescue! What could possibly go wrong?

I haven't seen any disagreement from the supporter of vigilante justice to make me think otherwise. Luckily, they will soon have the option of concealed carry to, ya know, maintain the element of surprise.

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:48 pm

snoqueen wrote:

All I can picture is a bunch of middle aged white guys marching around the neighborhood park doing "open carry."

Am I so stupid I don't get what you're trying to describe, or am I right?

If you are a member of the Boomer generation, as I am, you know the answer. What did our fathers do? (They being members of the Greatest Generation.) Did any teenage boy dare mouth off in the presence of any adult, much less ... In fact, the parish priest and Sister Mary Rosary felt free to administer a damn good whacking right then and there. Bad behavior was punished; good was rewarded. Maybe too simple for today's sophisticates, but it worked.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:18 pm

Your evidence that it "worked" is what? The boomer generation?

No doubting they're exemplary. Just ask 'em! Congress is full of 'em! So's the Wisconsin State Capitol, including the Supreme Court!

Boomers are running the joint!

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:55 pm

Don't worry, Jason. Soon enough the State Fair Park muggers will be in the ascendancy.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:16 pm

Dave's just not for the people. He doesn't trust them with their money. Apparently, only the wealthy can be trusted.

What Would Republican JE$U$ Do?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:50 pm

Who gets the blame for the way Milwaukee runs in 2011?

Hint: It's not Generations X or Y.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:55 pm

If you are a member of the Boomer generation, as I am, you know the answer. What did our fathers do? (They being members of the Greatest Generation.) Did any teenage boy dare mouth off in the presence of any adult, much less ... In fact, the parish priest and Sister Mary Rosary felt free to administer a damn good whacking right then and there. Bad behavior was punished; good was rewarded. Maybe too simple for today's sophisticates, but it worked.

By some people's reckoning I was born on the tenth day of the baby boom.

My father was a WWII vet but wasn't religious. He never hit anybody the whole time I knew him, so we can't go by any of that. In our era, the worst kids ended up at Lincoln Hills (up north) or some other reform school in the south part of the state, or else got sent to the military academy at Delafield which was probably run by perverts -- I don't know. The two worst kids in my high school class, one ended up in federal prison for counterfeiting and the other grew up to be a used car dealer.

Everybody was white.

Mostly, we ended up killing ourselves and each other driving drunk. Drugs didn't show up until I went away to college in 1965, though there were rumors the Mexican migrants (who of course were not white, but I don't think we got the distinction yet) grew ditch weed earlier on. They were said to dry it in the laundromat inside pillow slips.

Society is all different today, Dave. Trying to make comparisons or put things back the way they were isn't going to work. It's nice to make generalizations about reward and punishment, but reality isn't that simple. If you're rewarded by someone you detest, is it a joke? If you're punished by someone you detest, is it a mark of pride?

Jason has been trying to give examples of community activities to bridge age and racial divides and build ways people can start looking each other in the eye, learning each others' names, and talking a little. This is all we've got, unless you are serious about getting more people to shoot each other, which sounds like an extremely bad idea to me.

Straightening out messes like this is slow, but the alternative is worse. And of course you need effective policing and a functional criminal justice system; the alternative is vigilantism which would set off an arms race we really, really do not want to have.

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:29 pm

snoqueen wrote:In our era, the worst kids ended up at Lincoln Hills (up north) or some other reform school in the south part of the state, or else got sent to the military academy at Delafield which was probably run by perverts -- I don't know.

Which was probably run by perverts but you don't know. (!)

snoqueen wrote:... of course you need effective policing and a functional criminal justice system; the alternative is vigilantism which would set off an arms race we really, really do not want to have.

Exactly my message these lonely years. But so many of your friends, Mr. Queen, want to handcuff the police and set a racial quota system on our prisons, almost inviting vigilantism. You are correct in not wanting an arms race.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:37 pm

David Blaska wrote:But so many of your friends, Mr. Queen, want to handcuff the police and set a racial quota system on our prisons, almost inviting vigilantism.

Someone's proposing a racial quota system on our prisons?

Return to “Headlines”