Racist attack @ Milwaukee State Fair

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Racist attack @ Milwaukee State Fair

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:59 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
From everything I've read and heard, the majority of the bike path crime, eastside muggings/beatings, and drunk college kid muggings/beatings of the past few years have been multiple young black males attacking mostly lone white guys. There's a little blurb in the paper and then nobody talks about it. Last year when a group of white kids at Monona Grove high school was harassing and attacking black kids it was big news almost immediately and the kids were quickly caught and dealt with. Maybe that case was easier to solve given the smaller community of the school but it definitely received way more media attention than any of the bike path, etc stuff...
It is hard to talk about. I hadn't noticed until my computer was stolen.

Marco Polo

Postby Marco Polo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:17 am

It will be interesting to see what age the police reports show since reports vary on the age of attackers. Keep that in mind Blaska, since reportedly 20 year olds were out there, a curfew would have done little.

They had bag and wand checks when I worked there in 04, even for employees, so that is not anything new. Seemed to remember local police detachments plus Per Mar Security, seemed like they kept a decent number near the midway any how.

Reports are between dozens to hundreds, I am assuming its somewhere in between. Frankly a lot of youngsters who know better simply got caught in the ripple effect from the instigators; if a large wave of people start running in my direction I would probably start running too, trying my best dodge people and cars and not get trampled.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:57 am

David Blaska wrote:As in, "Curfew?"

No, as in, nighttime Fair is a whole lot less wholesome and family friendly than daytime fair, even before the troubling incidents of last week. I was addressing Comrade, who was wondering about whether he should bring his kids to the Fair or not.

Why not just offer them some Kool Aid?

You've mistakenly applied my proposed strategy for dealing with kids who used bad language in a Madison park during daytime hours, which was offered in contrast to your own proposal of taking their ball and chainsawing down the pole supporting the backboard. I obviously wouldn't say the same thing about this entirely different and significantly more serious problem, and haven't.

DestinyNYC

Postby DestinyNYC » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:02 am

Just some kids out having some fun, or planned strike?

kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:03 am

I'm actually surprised and impressed that this thread has gone this far without attracting any of the usual trolls, other than a single snark from Blaska. People can actually talk about stuff seriously, it seems.

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:15 am

jjoyce wrote:You've mistakenly applied my proposed strategy for dealing with kids who used bad language in a Madison park during daytime hours, which was offered in contrast to your own proposal of taking their ball and chainsawing down the pole supporting the backboard. I obviously wouldn't say the same thing about this entirely different and significantly more serious problem, and haven't.

No, a chainsaw is not the proper tool. Does wood only. To take down a basketball hoop, you need a pipe cutter or a torch.

Your mistake is to think that M'F-ing teenagers on the basketball court behave like cello players on the darkened streets of night. Now I see that even Paul Soglin claims to believe in the broken windows theory. If no one objects to M-F this or that why should they expect anyone to object to taking the next step?

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:17 am

kurt_w wrote:I'm actually surprised and impressed that this thread has gone this far without attracting any of the usual trolls, other than a single snark from Blaska. People can actually talk about stuff seriously, it seems.

So, start doing so, already. Offer something besides name-calling. Anything.

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:28 am

Marco Polo wrote:It will be interesting to see what age the police reports show since reports vary on the age of attackers. Keep that in mind Blaska, since reportedly 20 year olds were out there, a curfew would have done little.

The State Fair disagrees, Marco.

I have not been able to find ages of those arrested, perhaps you can, but it's worth noting that the fair adopted a new policy requiring that everyone under 18 entering the fairgrounds after 5 p.m. be accompanied by a parent or a legal guardian over the age of 21.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:31 am

supaunknown wrote:Wilding youths would be wise to think twice before attacking a mama bear tending her cubs. Of course they'd be wisest not to attack anybody at all. That's what I don't understand about this whole angry mob thing: why? Like, why form a mob and attack people? Why not go to the Fair instead and have a good time? What the heck is going on in Milwaukee?

Why? Because the job creators have failed, that's why. If these kids had jobs they'd be too busy and fulfilled to form violent mobs. They don't have any money to go in and enjoy the fair, so they'll wait outside to destroy the experience for those who enjoyed something the mobsters couldn't.

Snark? Yes. True? Pretty much.

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:40 am

wack wack wrote:
supaunknown wrote:.. Like, why form a mob and attack people? Why not go to the Fair instead and have a good time? What the heck is going on in Milwaukee?

Why? Because the job creators have failed, that's why. If these kids had jobs they'd be too busy and fulfilled to form violent mobs. They don't have any money to go in and enjoy the fair, so they'll wait outside to destroy the experience for those who enjoyed something the mobsters couldn't.

Laugh out loud funny! Do you think these kids are even looking for work? "They don't have money to enjoy the fair." Next you'll tell me they're not wearing $100 gym shoes, that they don't have cell phones and iPods and Xboxes or money for hip hop concerts. That when they steal it's formula for baby sister.

Hilarious! I've said it before, we cannot solve our criminal problem until we solve our liberal problem.

bcs89
Forum Addict

Postby bcs89 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:42 am

For those unsure/debating the age of the people involved - ask wack wack, s/he seems to be up to date on their employment status, I'd imagine s/he would also be privy to their age.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:44 am

Hilarious! I've said it before, we cannot solve our criminal problem until we solve our poverty problem.

Fixt.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:44 am

Kids who have a good school, employed parents, maybe a job of their own, and a future aren't going to act this way.

We're trying hard to be sure they don't have any one of those.

Punishment and threats don't do squat. Exclusion only pushes the problem somewhere else.

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:52 am

fisticuffs wrote:
Hilarious! I've said it before, we cannot solve our criminal problem until we solve our poverty problem.

Fixt.

Solving the poverty problem:
    Quit criminal activity
    Study in school to be prepared for the information age jobs
    Lay off drugs and drink booze in moderation
    Volunteer in the community
    Find a part-time job to learn the work ethic
    Holding parents legally responsible
    Zero tolerance for law-breaking
    Get the Tom Barretts and Paul Soglins and other leaders to speak out forcibly and unreservedly about making right choices.
Fixt!
Conditioning all of this on some retroactive remake of their parents generation, calling for still more trillions of dollars in pump priming and government spending on an increasingly broke nation is a recipe for perpetual blame shifting.
Last edited by David Blaska on Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:53 am

Note to Blaska: Crime went down every year under Clinton when 22 million jobs were created.

It's also proven time and again that crime goes up when no jobs are available. And may I add, "Duh!" in a vain hope to reach you at your level, Dave.

Return to “Headlines”