Racist attack @ Milwaukee State Fair

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Racist attack @ Milwaukee State Fair

Postby jjoyce » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:32 pm

I'd take my kids in the morning. These incidents are at night, when kids are supposed to be in bed.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:55 pm

Wilding youths would be wise to think twice before attacking a mama bear tending her cubs. Of course they'd be wisest not to attack anybody at all. That's what I don't understand about this whole angry mob thing: why? Like, why form a mob and attack people? Why not go to the Fair instead and have a good time? What the heck is going on in Milwaukee?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:59 pm

That question has been asked over and over and over and over and...

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Re taking your kids to a fair, general question -- there are other county fairs in other parts of the state that should still be fun. Or try one of the regional festivals like the Monroe cheese thing. From now until fall, everyone should be able to find plenty of safe things to attend with kids.

Even though Walker this afternoon called on the State Patrol to secure the state fair, right now I personally wouldn't go. It's sad to say that (I love seeing the show animals) but just as we can't un-see something, we can't un-happen something. And this thing happened.

Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby Comrade » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:40 pm

I sincerely thank everyone for their input, and all of you made very good points. I decided to wait and see what happens tonight, and if all is quiet to take them tomorrow during the day. Can't go right away in the morning, but afternoon is good and we have to be home to have them in bed by seven anyway.

GenaralJon

Postby GenaralJon » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:07 am

What is the aftermath after the attack... any independent reviews ?

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:48 am

We go probably every other year, have always paid 5 or 10 bucks to some local club or business to park, and walked to the fair without incident. Had never seen a bit of trouble, inside or out. However, as others have said, we are usually there in the daytime. I think the last late night at the fair was about 1983 when I went to see Jefferson Starship.

I like to think I would hop out of the car and help whoever was getting beaten on. My wife likes to think I would not.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:20 am

Damn, where's the Outlaws MC when you need them?

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:50 am

It will be interesting to see if any of the 31 arrests will have a hate-crime enhancer on the charges if all the witness reports are true.

So where are all the cell phone videos? A lazy google search produced only news report videos. If this happened it's on dozens, if not hundreds, of cell phones.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:23 pm

I've personally witnessed this type of "wilding" right here on Madison's north side. I was picking up my son at a MSCR middle school social/dance at the Warner Park Center. A group of about 20 african american youths stomped another african american kid after he was hit from behind and knocked down. They kicked and beat this poor kid for a solid 3 minutes before a group of adults intervened, then they scattered like vermin. It was fucking horrifying, particularly when the bloodied teen was laying helpless and this one kid nonchalantly walked over and kicked him right in the face! They did arrest 4 of the little shits if I recall, but plenty more were involved. Word on the northside was that 2 kids bumped on the dance floor and that ignited the feeding frenzy. It WAS like shark week, I shit you not. My kids never attended another event at WPRC. But, let's face it, it could have been a group of white kids just as easily....

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:59 pm

jjoyce wrote:I'd take my kids in the morning. These incidents are at night, when kids are supposed to be in bed.

As in, "Curfew?"

Why not just offer them some Kool Aid?

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:28 pm

david cohen wrote: But, let's face it, it could have been a group of white kids just as easily....

I'm not questioning Dave personally but why is it so many white people feel the need to tack this kind of comment on to the end of stories such as this? Would a Mexican telling the story do the same?

From everything I've read and heard, the majority of the bike path crime, eastside muggings/beatings, and drunk college kid muggings/beatings of the past few years have been multiple young black males attacking mostly lone white guys. There's a little blurb in the paper and then nobody talks about it. Last year when a group of white kids at Monona Grove high school was harassing and attacking black kids it was big news almost immediately and the kids were quickly caught and dealt with. Maybe that case was easier to solve given the smaller community of the school but it definitely received way more media attention than any of the bike path, etc stuff.

People in Madison don't seem comfortable talking about the facts of who's beating who, at least in person. I've brought it up to people and it's always an awkward short conversation. Internet comments are usually either the apologists or the worst of the bigots. Sane discussion on the matter seems to be an elusive goal. I guess it's just the world we've created.

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:27 pm

My only reason for adding that was because of the title of the thread. And I've seen a few white-on-white gang beatings that were equally as ugly as the one I witnessed at Warner Park. Truth of the matter is that man's inhumanity to man is incredulous no matter who is perpetrating the inhumanity.

Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby Comrade » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Brief follow up: Went to the fair today and left shortly before five. There were no problems or incidents. Security was present but not any kind of problem at all. Our bag was searched for weapons before entry. Nobody should have any reservations about going.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:50 pm

David Blaska wrote:
jjoyce wrote:I'd take my kids in the morning. These incidents are at night, when kids are supposed to be in bed.

As in, "Curfew?"

Why not just offer them some Kool Aid?

Dave - thanks for reminding us that in addition to being full of shit, you don't know how to be funny. Keep it coming gasbag!

Return to “Headlines”