Jesse Jackson

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.
workboy7
Forum Addict
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:17 pm

Re: Jesse Jackson

Postby workboy7 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:38 pm

Wow Henry, fold your race card already. MLK and Jessie Jackson are not known for being activists promoting unions. Never had either one ever actively supported a union based on union concerns. The only reason Jackson is here is because of cameras, and most likely, pussy. Address that if you will, but leave race alone if you could.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 23924
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Jesse Jackson

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:10 pm

You certainly don't know much about history.

But your history is different. Consider this discussion you started. Here is an excerpt.

Can't help but notice that their seem to be many more instances of seemingly random crimes, three on the eastside reported today alone, of young black men attacking, robbing, or otherwise being shitty citizens.

SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 925
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Jesse Jackson

Postby SombreroFallout » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:21 pm

workboy7 wrote:Wow Henry, fold your race card already. MLK and Jessie Jackson are not known for being activists promoting unions. Never had either one ever actively supported a union based on union concerns.


Not true. The whole reason Martin Luther King's presence in Memphis is important is because King had issued a clarion call for economic justice as the key to winning any real progress in America. That meant supporting black workers and white unions, and calling for the right of every citizen to organize unions. It means you can't really win functional civil right without the right to organize and to bargain collectively. King knew the economic survival of white working people mattered, and that not only a decent wage and health care mattered for white people as well as black, but that simply having a say in working conditions was a civil right.

King's speech in Memphis is consistently identified by historians as a crucial point turning point, because King called for white and black Americans to unite for economic progress and a fair deal. He was incorporating an economic message and crossing color lines. That's why he was killed.

.... leave race alone if you could.


Jesse Jackson's entire career was built on carrying forward a diverse, multi-racial alliance that obviously included labor as a major component. That's the basis of his entire reputation; it's his deal and his life's work. He goes where the action is, and where there is action there will be cameras. Note well that Obama is not on hand for the festivities.

You coulda lashed out at Richard Trumka. Instead you went for the black guy, resentfully, and lied about Jesse Jackson. Yeah, I call bullshit too: workboy7, you've got an issue with race.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1307
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:47 pm

Re: Jesse Jackson

Postby Madsci » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:17 pm

The workboy 7 has been schooled! Next time it will be a 4 hour sensitivity workshop.

ABCD
Senior Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Jesse Jackson

Postby ABCD » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:56 pm

workboy7 wrote:Telling towards what? How is me mentioning the Rev. racist? Jackson is willing to go anywhere a camera is, and as far as I know he not only has no local affiliation, but his history with unions is only about race. Call me whatever you want, but it would be nice to hear something, even in this moronic webchat, of an open opinion on what possible good Rev. Jackson can offer Wisconsin people, black or white.


The concept linking civil rights and labor unions has existed since before you were born. Read some history.

indycoyote
Forum Addict
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 9:48 am

Re: Jesse Jackson

Postby indycoyote » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:28 pm

To think that JJ has nothing to do with workers rights and labor unions is just fucking stoooopid. This is ground zero for organized labor right now, it's fitting he is here. Is he an attention whore? No more so than anyone else who is famous. Is he perfect? Nope. Rumor has it he'll be present again tomorrow, leading a march.

workboy7
Forum Addict
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:17 pm

Re: Jesse Jackson

Postby workboy7 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:41 pm

The concept linking civil rights and labor unions has existed since before you were born. Read some history.[/quote]

Conceptually correct, but in reality this is rarely true. I know continuing to support myself here is a time waster, but I got a minute or two.

I was raised in Chicagoland, and over the last decades I've had ample opportunities to see Jesse in action. In my opinion, Jesse Jackson is more concerned with his image than anything else. He inserts himself into any national context he can, and history backs me well on this (When King was assassinated on April 4, 1968, in Memphis, Tennessee, the day after his famous "I’ve been to the mountaintop" speech at the Mason Temple, Jackson was in the parking lot one floor below. Jackson's appearance on NBC's Today Show, wearing the same blood-stained turtleneck that he had worn the day before, drew criticism from several King aides; some King associates also dispute Jackson's description of his personal involvement and also of the sequence of events surrounding the assassination). Has he done good things? Yes, of course. In no way was I referencing his race in any way. Instead, I was dismayed to see any attention drawn away from the important issues of Wisconsin regarding the current political climate. He was the only speaker that surprised me, because he has no horse in this race. No cameras=no Jesse.

Henry Vilas wrote:You certainly don't know much about history.

But your history is different. Consider this discussion you started. Here is an excerpt.

Can't help but notice that their seem to be many more instances of seemingly random crimes, three on the eastside reported today alone, of young black men attacking, robbing, or otherwise being shitty citizens.


So henry, any mention of Black men being bad citizens is automatically racist? Is there any context where an opinion regarding race in Madison can be broached with out being attacked?

I don't mind being insulted here, most times its fun. But labeling me as racist and homophobic is wrong enough for me to comment back.

Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Jesse Jackson

Postby Stella_Guru » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:43 am

SombreroFallout wrote: Note well that Obama is not on hand for the festivities.

That could be because Obama is carrying out a set of corporate-style, anti-teachers union, school reforms not unlike Bush Boy's "No Child Left Behind". His "Race to the Top" program has sent a signal to the bosses, Walker included, that the President is on their side and considers teachers unions a threat. Ask a teacher in Rhode Island about it.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 3247
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Jesse Jackson

Postby wack wack » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:12 am

workboy7 wrote:Conceptually correct, but in reality this is rarely true. I know continuing to support myself here is a time waster, but I got a minute or two.


Love it! keep twisting, turning, moving the target so you can be right. Keep it up, you have a tremendous future as a Republican politician ahead of you.

workboy7 wrote:I was raised in Chicagoland, and over the last decades I've had ample opportunities to see Jesse in action. In my opinion, Jesse Jackson is more concerned with his image than anything else. He inserts himself into any national context he can, and history backs me well on this (When King was assassinated on April 4, 1968, in Memphis, Tennessee, the day after his famous "I’ve been to the mountaintop" speech at the Mason Temple, Jackson was in the parking lot one floor below. Jackson's appearance on NBC's Today Show, wearing the same blood-stained turtleneck that he had worn the day before, drew criticism from several King aides; some King associates also dispute Jackson's description of his personal involvement and also of the sequence of events surrounding the assassination). Has he done good things? Yes, of course. In no way was I referencing his race in any way. Instead, I was dismayed to see any attention drawn away from the important issues of Wisconsin regarding the current political climate. He was the only speaker that surprised me, because he has no horse in this race. No cameras=no Jesse.


I grew up in Chicago too, and your assessment of Jackson is very much in line with the subconscious but insidious racism prevalent in the area.

jasonj

Re: Jesse Jackson

Postby jasonj » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:00 am

didn't Rev. Jesse Jackson want to " cut that Ni%%ers nuts out?" while speaking into a hot mic talking about Mr. Obama.
Not only is the rev. racist, he wanted to cause bodily harm to another black man by removing his testicles.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 23924
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Jesse Jackson

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:00 am

jasonj wrote:...by removing his testicles.

Who removed yours? Or maybe you suffer from cryptorchidism.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8680
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: The mystical Far East
Contact:

Re: Jesse Jackson

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:07 am

workboy7 wrote:He inserts himself into any national context he can, and history backs me well on this (When King was assassinated on April 4, 1968, in Memphis, Tennessee, the day after his famous "I’ve been to the mountaintop" speech at the Mason Temple, Jackson was in the parking lot one floor below. Jackson's appearance on NBC's Today Show, wearing the same blood-stained turtleneck that he had worn the day before, drew criticism from several King aides; some King associates also dispute Jackson's description of his personal involvement and also of the sequence of events surrounding the assassination)

Workboy Shift+Inserts his history lessons onto TDPF straight outta Wikipedia. Well done! You are truly a modern student of history--that is, using the Internet to cut corners.

workboy7
Forum Addict
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:17 pm

Re: Jesse Jackson

Postby workboy7 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:05 pm

I did include my quote in parentheses at least; what do you want, a bibliography? How shallow a person is to use the internet as a source, is that what you are trying to say? Does the Isthmus pay you by the post? What is your point?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 23924
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all
Contact:

Re: Jesse Jackson

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:38 pm

Plagerism. It's unethical to pass off other's words as your own. Quote and cite.

workboy7
Forum Addict
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:17 pm

Re: Jesse Jackson

Postby workboy7 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:32 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Plagerism. It's unethical to pass off other's words as your own. Quote and cite.


I'm sorry; I didn't realize what an ethical body I was dealing with.


Return to “Headlines”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests